Pole saws

CaPowell

I LOVE my Sherrill 22.5 ft carbon fiber telescoping saw. It has served me well for around three years. It was rebranded "Stealth" under Notch.

Anyway, I went to buy another the other day just to have a backup and found that they have discontinued them. I can only imagine it is because of the lifetime warranty they pushed at first.

I couldn't find any carbon fiber telescoping saws anywhere and had a hard time finding good telescoping saws period. I settled on the new Notch Sentei polesaw and felt like crying when I unboxed it. Don't get me wrong, it would be a fine saw if I had never used the other, but what a step down! The Stealth saw was adjustable to any height between 7 and 22'. With the Sentei, you are locked into using the whole length of each pole.

Are there better telescoping polesaws currently available that I should be looking at instead?

Also, has anyone ever used a saw attachment on a telescoping hotstick? How well would that work?

Reach

Been here a while
I LOVE my Sherrill 22.5 ft carbon fiber telescoping saw. It has served me well for around three years. It was rebranded "Stealth" under Notch.

Anyway, I went to buy another the other day just to have a backup and found that they have discontinued them. I can only imagine it is because of the lifetime warranty they pushed at first.

I couldn't find any carbon fiber telescoping saws anywhere and had a hard time finding good telescoping saws period. I settled on the new Notch Sentei polesaw and felt like crying when I unboxed it. Don't get me wrong, it would be a fine saw if I had never used the other, but what a step down! The Stealth saw was adjustable to any height between 7 and 22'. With the Sentei, you are locked into using the whole length of each pole.

Are there better telescoping polesaws currently available that I should be looking at instead?

Also, has anyone ever used a saw attachment on a telescoping hotstick? How well would that work?
I’ve heard a lot of good about the Silky telescoping saws, but I have not personally used one. We just use the blue fiberglass poles for everything.

VenasNursery

Branched out member

So so mad about them discontinuing the carbon fiber notch pole

best system I’ve found

evo

Been here a while
I'm using a heavy contingent of Milwaukee lithium kit at my job sites, including the pole saw. I'm sure the husky lithium pole saw is as good or better, but my Milwaukee kit is really pleasant and effective to use. Its only 18V, so the batteries last a long time. The chainsaws seem to do better with torque but not speed as compared to other saws, so they are suited towards hardwoods and charge time more than softwood cutting speed. This last bit of info is based on a YouTube video I watched recently - head to head lithium saw comparison from power tool companies that are not Stihl/Husky.
How do you like the power pole saw from Milwaukee? Since I bought the hole hawg I bought the hedge trimmer, so I’m most the way to a pole saw.

evo

Been here a while
My thoughts on pole saws. I’ve used most the silkys and standard.
The hayate is heavier and much nicer in the hand, the weight mostly comes from reinforced ribs on the inner part of the pole. If $ and weight isn’t a concern it’s bomber
The other silkys are nice, many of the blades on their polesaws are not impulse hardened so they don’t last as long as their handsaws, but typically see less use.
They are super hard to find, but there are telescopic fiberglass poles.
I dislike polesaws, but own a silky longboy (my go to), and a silky saw adapter for fiberglass poles (my beater polesaw). I own the b-light and a set of typical fiberglass poles. The b-light seem to be way more flexible, and more on the fragile side. The flexibility only bothers me when using pole pruners, and feel that it’s beneficial with a polesaw. I’ve cracked more b-lite poles than the others, but when I do I cut them down so I have a few shorties too.
ARS polesaws are great, many more configurations than any other brand. You can find short fine straight blade versions all the way up to silky style. I’ve always wondered why the Arborist stores don’t carry them?https://www.amleo.com/ars-pole-saw-...JQtRwHb_f6VqteU2bTEH4B4XnjKwrqskaAh8OEALw_wcB

colb

Been here a while
How do you like the power pole saw from Milwaukee? Since I bought the hole hawg I bought the hedge trimmer, so I’m most the way to a pole saw.
It's really useful. It's my first pole saw, so I can't compare it very well. I've used a stihl gasser a few times. The battery power is really nice - just touch the trigger and cut, quietly. I suspect that it is a "system" saw. E.g., I might buy and would probably then prefer the Husky lithium pole chainsaw if I buy the Husky t540iXP and a couple Husky batteries. I suspect that 18V is a bit on the lower end of the power spectrum, but the battery life is probably really nice. I have 5 batteries (2x 5ah, 2x 9ah, 1x 12ah) and I never run out of power on a jobsite. Btw, the 9ah are supposed to be crap. I don't know whats up with that since mine seem fine, but the word is to buy the 8ah.

The milwaukee pole chainsaw has an extension, so it is really maneuverable as a short pole chainsaw and really reach as a long one. The changeover takes about 20 seconds, so you can justify stowing the saw in 3 pieces, changing length frequently, etc.

@Lampyrid uses it in short form a lot for ground work since the business end is at arms length. She doesn't even need to bend over to buck up branches. Makes me feel like I should pack a short climbing pole chainsaw for reduction pruning, but it's still a bit too heavy to drag around... I was up in a young cedar this morning tied into 3 inch wood with a nice 15mph breeze. If I'm being honest, I could have made one or two more beneficial cuts if I could have reached a bit further than my echo 2511t with 8" bar would let me...

• Love
Reactions: evo

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo
Top Bottom