Pole saws

Tree Cutter Chris

My groundie recently broke my 4 year old Silky Hayauchi 21' pole saw. I got online to order a replacement and it seems that particular item is discontinued? At least I can't find it on any of the major arboriculture retailer sites. I can't find the 21' anymore, it seems the longest silky pole saw i can find is 16'.

Which brings me to my next question

What are your favorite pole saws and brands? We had an ARS pole saw a long time ago, don't even remember if I liked it. I do know I liked the Silky. Do you guys prefer sections that you can piece together or the telescoping pole saws? Particular brand and model and why?

Reach

I prefer the Jameson blue poles, as they’re light, strong, and reasonably inexpensive when they get broken. We use those with a Notch head that accepts a couple different Silky blades, so we still get the Silky blade, just with a cheaper and more durable pole set.

guymayor

Was it the second section from the end? I have bent 2 of those.. LightningStik is super light for use in the tree but really hard to find. Only WEsspur had them last time I checked and they jacked up the price so i got pist and did not buy from them.

Jonny

Pretty bizarre that they’re no longer available from Sherrill, thought that was a popular item.

I’m still using the old hollow Jameson yellow poles. Pretty floppy with 4 poles, but works fine with 2 or 3. Chopped the tang handle off a 400mm Silky Tsurugi straight blade and drilled a hole in the right spot to make it fit on a common pole saw head. Didn’t think I’d like a straight blade, but I love it, cuts very fast.

ATH

I have and really like the long Hayate. I've used a friend's Hayauchi and don't remember why, but didn't like it quite as much as the Hayate (which is heavier). Maybe it was the blade?? I did like the lighter weight though!

I like telescoping as it is so easy to go a little shorter and longer as needed. Easier to carry around too.

oldoakman

I prefer the Jameson blue poles, as they’re light, strong, and reasonably inexpensive when they get broken. We use those with a Notch head that accepts a couple different Silky blades, so we still get the Silky blade, just with a cheaper and more durable pole set.
X2 on the blue poles. I use the 6 footers.

Benjo75

They had one last time I was in there. Website show to still have them. Great company to deal with.

Link didn't load right. Pinnacle Arborist and type polesaw in the search bar.

Jonny

Alright y’all, makeup my mind; Jameson B-light blue poles or Jameson foam core?
Rigidity is much more important to me than weight and they’re being used for pruner heads, pole saws, and occasionally for setting ropes. I’m leaning towards the foam core.

I got hollow FGs already, but want a few more.

DSMc

I have not used the foam core poles, but my understanding is that the foam is just to increase dielectric properties, has no benefits for strength, and does make them heavier.

I much prefer the B-lights over the standard yellow poles.

Reach

I like the B-light blue poles, they seem plenty stiff to me. The foam core are only foam filled for their dielectric qualities, I’m not sure you’ll get any notable increase in strength out of them, just a lot of extra weight.

Reach

Another thought on making the poles stiffer: epoxy an aluminum tube or wood dowel in the poles, either of those should stiffen them, and a thin wall aluminum tube should not add a terrible amount of weight.

colb

Back in 2013 when I was starting out I went to a Vermeer dealership to buy some tree kit (I know...). They had the Hayate and Hayauchi so I compared them. Most notably for me, the Hayate (the yellow one) had a larger diameter grip than the Hayauchi and I had a clear preference for the smaller diameter grip of the Hayauchi (the black one). When I wore gloves, I wore size medium Atlas (smurf blue).

Above, @Serf Life has noted that there is a thread on this topic. This thread does not seem to mention much about carbon fiber poles. Hopefully the OP @Tree Cutter Chris and current inquirer @Jonny are aware of those as part of their information gathering process.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom