On Saddle Blood Stopper Pouch

metaspencer

Anyone actually had to USE a clot pack? I've heard that they have to cut that stuff out when you get to the hospital, making me think it's a last resort kind of thing (after applying pressure) ... but wondering if anyone has firsthand experience?

On advice from some folks in the military and from civi's in the ER, Celox is OK - they can deal with it fine - I haven't heard about any cutting required. I've used Celox strips dealing with some spectacular nosebleeds and they do work - no problems afterwards including a trip to emerg with a neighbour's son who did a very dumb hormone induced aerial thing (bicycles can fly but it's the landing that didn't go well).

Addenda: Thought about it a bit if I'd open another can of worms, but here goes - another comment about putting your Blood Type/ NKDA on your helmet/ first aid pouch or elsewhere, was that nobody in the Fire or ER I talked to would have anything to do with these kinds of labels - you get blood type tested before any IV given (or O Neg if it's life threatening). Way too much chance of an error to do anything else.

Last edited:

Chris Schultz

Anyone actually had to USE a clot pack? I've heard that they have to cut that stuff out when you get to the hospital, making me think it's a last resort kind of thing (after applying pressure) ... but wondering if anyone has firsthand experience?
If your referencing the gunpowder looking stuff then yes, I’ve used it. It takes/took extensive scrubbing/irrigation to get all the powdery stuff out of the wound before they could stitch me back together again. Couldn’t feel a thing while they were doing it.... nerve blocker and fentanyl drip.

Arborspective

I will say this i have had the same set up as the OP was mentioning and it works but need better supplies. After alot of medical/trauma training i have come to a few conclusions. You can find med kits everywhere to "hold" your kit. Camera cases, games cases, ect. What goes inside is what is important. Mymedic.com is an amazing place to buy all your supplies individually. I run r.a.t.s. tourniquets in all my kits and Israeli bandage to keep it small and simple but very effective. My larger kit that stays at the gear bag has everything else in it. The r.a.t.s. tourniquet in my opinion isn't the best offering but is very easy to self administer in many awkward situations.

pete_mctree

I use on of these - not sure if they are available over the pond though. Pull the red tab to access the tourniquet and blood stopper. Silver Bull is the manufacturer

Attachments

• 255CF0BD-7CD4-49CC-A894-D5975119FC1D.jpeg
    255CF0BD-7CD4-49CC-A894-D5975119FC1D.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 18
  • 8EA8F557-E408-46E6-9A0A-F41CDC90BAC4.jpeg
    8EA8F557-E408-46E6-9A0A-F41CDC90BAC4.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 18
  • 5906CDB5-B488-486A-85B5-E192441C8398.jpeg
    5906CDB5-B488-486A-85B5-E192441C8398.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19

Reach

I use on of these - not sure if they are available over the pond though. Pull the red tab to access the tourniquet and blood stopper. Silver Bull is the manufacturer
I like the look of that, but I’ve never seen one around here. I may have to look into those when we replace our current packs.

I can find it available (just currently out of stock) in the US, it’s actually made here in the states.

Diesel487

The pouch that my blood stopper/trauma kit lives in is shit.... it attaches with one tiny little hasp. The problem is the Velcro that holds the flap closed is so stout it would be impossible to open it one handed in a emergency with it flopping around like a fish out of water. I’ve lived with this for too long, and now I need to upgrade the pouch. Hoping someone in treebuzz land can recommend something that works for them, even better if you’ve got a spare you wanna sell! I’ve got a monkey beaver saddle..... and the descriptions online I’ve found about attachment style are weak/vague. I want that pouch to be squarely and securely attached so one handed opening is possible. THANKYOU!!!
Im not sure how well this pouch would work on your saddle but on my Weaver Denali its super secure and can be reaches with either hand easily. Opens easily and has a cord attached to the panel to keep your from dropping all the contents.

I can fit
x1 4" Israeli Bandage
x1 CAT tourniquet
x1 QuickClot gauze

Diesel487

I've taken a few whacks from my handsaw, countless stabs from nubs and dead branches, and had my fair share of bark burn. The first thing I always reach for when blood is flowing is my shirt. Anything more serious than that can handle and I can guarantee I'm not taking the time (or probably in the frame of mind) to fiddle around with a first aid pouch and unwrap the bandage. I'm getting the fuck out of the tree and dealing with it on the ground. First aid kit in the work area, yes, first aid pouch on my saddle, no.
Having the lifesaving items (tourniquet, pressure dressing, etc) on your person is best practice, even if you dont use it while IN the tree its right there on you when touch the ground. Having a ground guy run to the truck, unbury the first aid box, and run back is unnecessary time lost.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts
Top Bottom