New articulating loader from top notch

Merle Nelson

Whoa, I would have never thought that was possible. When I first saw that picture I assumed you ramped it over the side.

colb

Looks great, Dave and Carl.

The main theoretical weakness ought to be in tipping sideways in a jack knife, with any articulated loader, right? Does the telescoping boom and large tip weight make the unit tippy, and is there a way that this is compensated for?

Lumberjack

Looks great, Dave and Carl.

The main theoretical weakness ought to be in tipping sideways in a jack knife, with any articulated loader, right? Does the telescoping boom and large tip weight make the unit tippy, and is there a way that this is compensated for?
It doesn't tip sideways when articulated, it still pivots on the front axle going forward. Granted if you're on a side hill and lift the rear end when articulated to the down hill side, that would increase the tipping over sideways factor.

The unit does have an oscillation lock that makes the unit more stable at the expense of ride quality and traction.

I would probably need a deck over trailer right?
It would make things easier to have a 102" wide deck.

Gorman

Or, if you're up for spending the extra $$ you can have a low platform trailer built with side doors in front to load a Giant sideways. I should have pictures of my Avant loaded sideways in a 14 foot dump trailer in the next weeks.
Let me know where you had the trailer built and how $$?

Merle Nelson

Yes, I think this pictured layout with platform in front of dump bed is cheaper.

I do a lot of pruning work, some removals and a smaller number of removals with lots of big wood. I wanted to be set up to, at times, haul back from a job with the loader up front and up to 9 foot logs in the back. At other times I will leave the loader on site while I go and dump a full 14 foot of logs and wood.

Carl was good enough to go through all the headaches of back and forth endless emails etc to get it just the way I wanted. Midsota is the trailer company that is building it.

By the way Carl when we're at the same program/show together some day your money is no good for food and drink. I really appreciate all you have put in and how knowledgeable and available you have been for all of my concerns/needs on this trailer and my previous Avant purchase.

Lumberjack

Happy to help, Merle!

My problem with a platform dump is you never can haul/dump material on the platform. With Merle'a trailer you can take the front section of the walls out and use them as headboards in the bed. That leaves room for the machine and the debris in one trip. The downside is you may want to remove the machine before dumping.

Merle Nelson

Ha, ha, ....may. :)

I'm no where near as adventurous with equipment as you Carl. I can darn well guarantee you I will want to unload the machine before I dump.

Lumberjack

If the hoist can handle the weight going up, the main thing would be keeping the speed under control on the way down, which isn't that hard.

hseII

As you can see, I'll have 4' 6" wide for my platform in the clear.

Exactly 8' across.

What is the distance from the front edge of the coupler to the most rear of the machine?

Is that what the 88" "length without bucket" dimension is?

Heck, I may be able to haul it with the BMG attached...

I think it will just fit.

I originally planned a mini skid, but the 254 looks to be the better option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Lumberjack

That's the 88" number. It's 102-103" with the BMG on the machine.

For the work I do, the 254T beats any mini I've been around.

Merle Nelson

That fabrication is looking good. In CA I can haul as wide as the widest point of the factory produced trailer up to 102 inches standard. My fenders will be 102".

tnttree

Unfortunately for BME 254T, with the BMgrapple it is 103" long. So for now you have to take the grapple off to travel sideways down the highway. PIA, as far as I am concerned. Looking into modifying the BMG hanger to get under the 102 requirement

hseII

Unfortunately for BME 254T, with the BMgrapple it is 103" long. So for now you have to take the grapple off to travel sideways down the highway. PIA, as far as I am concerned. Looking into modifying the BMG hanger to get under the 102 requirement
The vertical tube, that's 2-3" square tubing, right?

If the vertical was round, you could have a pivoting joint with say 2.25- 2.50" heavy wall insert, and 3ish" that would just slip over.

Drill 2- 13/16" thru holes and for 3/4" grade 5 bolts.

Unbolt the connection, pivot the grapple head 90 degrees, and reduce the OAL

Magnum783

Easier to make a pivot on square tube. I have never seen nor used the BMG. I do however work in a weld and fab shop and build that type of joint often. Multiple ways to do it depending upon how force can and will be applied but It can be done rest assured.

Reactions: DTS

tnttree

The vertical tube, that's 2-3" square tubing, right?

If the vertical was round, you could have a pivoting joint with say 2.25- 2.50" heavy wall insert, and 3ish" that would just slip over.

Drill 2- 13/16" thru holes and for 3/4" grade 5 bolts.

Unbolt the connection, pivot the grapple head 90 degrees, and reduce the OAL

The schedule 80 round I use for the receiver hitch could work as the pivot.
It fits almost perfect inside the 3X3 upright

Attachments

tnttree

Trailer looks great what about tongue wait any issues when trailers fully loaded and with machine on it
3/4 ton with a base 420 is cool,
420AvONtrlr.jpg

the BME 254T or a 528 is right on the edge of safe with an empty box. common sense loading and balancing the dump load actually makes the trailer more stable.

20160903_154016.jpg

Start counter weighting the machine - foam fill the tires, Custom BM tool rack and you are going to need a 1 ton minimum, or you are going to have to put the machine in the rear when the box is empty