Moving in the canopy with near vertical limbs

Jehinten

I'll have to draw a picture later, but the issue I have on one of my trees is a gently leaning stem on one side, and several arcing stems on the other side. When I'm high enough to throw across to a crotch, it's about 30' away. When I descend, I can't get any closer than maybe 20'. When I'm low enough to have a long enough pendulum to swing that far, there's nothing for me to stand on to swing from. Or if there is, I can't get 20' out to swing 40' over to my tail.
A pole or a small branch that gets pruned off can help reach the rope as well. But from the sounds of it, in this situation your likely better off setting a tie in point in that limb from the ground. Ascend your primary TIP and pull yourself over it the secondary.

Tuebor

I can't tell you how many times I've thrown that out of the tree in frustration. Or left it stuck overnight.

Tuebor

A pole or a small branch that gets pruned off can help reach the rope as well. But from the sounds of it, in this situation your likely better off setting a tie in point in that limb from the ground. Ascend your primary TIP and pull yourself over it the secondary.
In reality, I just climb one side, come down and then throw into the other side and go climb.

DSMc

I can't tell you how many times I've thrown that out of the tree in frustration. Or left it stuck overnight.

Now that surprises me. Of all the times I have used it, it has always worked and has never been stuck. Guess I've just been lucky.

moss

Now that surprises me. Of all the times I have used it, it has always worked and has never been stuck. Guess I've just been lucky.

Ha! As I say to climbers, don’t throw it where you don’t want to go. I have no idea why but it doesn’t get stuck unless I intend it to. Maybe because I learned how to fish in swampy woods brooks when I was a kid ;-)

I’m working on a bunch of dead vertical poles this week, dead or mostly dead red pine. Established a high tie-in on the one good one, the Captain Hook makes life better going from one to the other. I love to climb too ;-)

The thing about the Captain Hook is that the design causes the hook to aim up when you pull it back quick and down when you pull slow to hook the branch, wicked kewl design.

Almost every climb is a new problem to solve, the answer can be simple or not. As Yogi Berra said, “When you reach a fork in the road take it!”.
-AJ

dmonn

"I use a 3/8" tenex tec ultra sling I made...essentially a loop runner with versatile and quick adjustability for length depending on what pocket you use. The main eye has a chafe sleeve and is made big enough to get my boot in. The chafe sleeve not only keeps out the dirt from my boots but helps to hold the eye open enough for me to slip my boot in without having to touch it with my hands.

Phil"

Thanks for the idea, Phil.

I made one of these. Looks like it will work great. It's 9 feet long, which is probably a lot longer than I'll ever need, but I had the tenex so kept it going. I finished it with doing a 5 brummel splice and tucked the tapered tails to form a final loop. That made the loop stiffer in case I wanted to use that end as well. My chafe sleeve material was 2" so I made mine a little different there. I put a 1/2" heat shrink on the 3/8" tenex, shrunk it on, added a piece of 1" tubular nylon webbing, then put a piece of 3/4" heat shrink on over that. It holds the loop open pretty well.

Pic 1.jpg Pic 2.jpg Pic 3.jpg Pic 4.jpg Pic 5.jpg

Tuebor

I once got it stuck on a limb that was a fraction of an inch too large. I could get it to pivot and rotate but it just wouldn't come loose enough to get it off. Came back the next day to retrieve it.

Another time, it caught two springy limbs that exerted enough spring to keep it from coming loose.

I think I've put in an hour of effort for every 10 minutes of use I've gotten from it.

SomethingWitty

Arkansawyer
Haha, so far in two days on this multiple dead red pine job only used the hook once ;-) What really counts when you need to go places horizontally is taking the time to establish an excellent high anchor point to work from.
-AJ
That really does make all the difference in the world.
If you're scared, try rigging things on small points in circumstances where a failure won't hurt anything.
It will make you more confident pretty quickly.

Phil

In reality, I just climb one side, come down and then throw into the other side and go climb.
This is often the best solution...especially with SRS as the effort to ascend is greatly reduced with ascenders. I've done one side of the tree, came down, throwline in to the other side and pull the tail of my line up and through the second side. Still utilizing the original tie in so essentially its a redirect into the second side.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom