Moss Cinching Lanyard prototype

Bob Bob

Going to try the wrench on my 10.5 Platinum today or tomorrow. I think climbers don't like the lumpiness of it where the core and cover are connected, but I like it for stealthy rec climbs for its light weight and low visibility.

Also have a hank of Samson Predator coming from WesSpur next week. A bit heavier, but something I might like for use in the woods/parks.
Platinum - How is the knot-ability and hand? Cabling after loading? MRS ability? Sorry for all the questions, I've always been curious how this rope performed.

Tuebor

Platinum - How is the knot-ability and hand? Cabling after loading? MRS ability? Sorry for all the questions, I've always been curious how this rope performed.
Knotability and hand seems fine, although the skinnier diameter might make it feel that way compared to a thicker static line like Xstatic. Doesn't cable as badly as, say, HTP, again maybe because of its construction, although I have't climbed on it recently. I'll make some descents using my Akimbo to flatten it and see how it responds. Started snowing here, so I'm waiting until tomorrow to try it. I don't think I've ever tried it MRS, so I'll give that a shot tomorrow as well.

moss

Hmm... yeah Platinum, hadn't even thought of that one. Looking forward to hearing your assessments.
-AJ

rope-a-dope

My hook line is 3/8 pink husky by all gear. It is very light and flexible, splices very easily. I don't use it a lot, but it works fine and has been very not bad in a cinch.

moss

Rope-a-dope, you probably already know that a Certified Turd Polisher's comments carry tremendous weight in any assessment in the "Very Not Bad" scheme of things. I'll take a look at the AG Husky, thank you.
-AJ

Tuebor

Finally tried the wrench on my 10.5 Platinum yesterday. Set a crown anchor about 60' in a sycamore and tried a 4 wrap Michoacan using a 28" 8 mm OP cord, but it was way too loose. 3/2 Michoacan wouldn't grip either. VT was too long with my short wrench tether. Settled with a 6 wrap Michoacan. I was shocked at how stretchy the rope was, and I'm only 170 lbs; literally, like a rubber band. I don't remember it being that way, but I've been on Xstatic most of the winter, so...

Climbed with bare hands at first (painful) and I could feel the cross section flatten into an oval shape, even before making a descent on it. Went up and down 30' with no problems. Up to the top and back down, and I started to notice the core/cover connections. It didn't feel lumpy like it does with a mechanical, but if I didn't keep a good descent rate going, I would get stuck at those points and have to apply a lot more pressure to break the hitch. The tendency was worse the lower I got.

Switched to a 28" 8 mm HRC (which looked the same diameter as the Platinum) tied in a 5 wrap Michoacan, and that performed slightly better. Limb walking was no problem but it still stalled on descent. Got real tight after each swing and had to unweight it to break the hitch, sometimes with both hands. Once it released though, it performed well. No sudden drop, always held, always caught when released. The line stiffened a bit after a few descents, but nothing like HTP does - it was still easy to flake into a bag at the end.

Forgot to try it MRS, but I did a natural crotch redirect with a 5 wrap Blake's on the tail. Had to dress the hitch well and set my weight into it for it to grip, but once it did, it worked well. The one thing that stuck out to me was how delightful the tail was to manage. Felt light, ran through redirects easily, never got wrapped on limbs or stubs and never tied itself in knots. The line feels stiffer than a double braid and resists twisting which probably accounts for the behavior.

Might not be my first choice, especially for a cinching lanyard, but I would consider it again for climbing where weight and/or low visibility is a factor. Certainly wouldn't want to ascend over 100' on it.

Bob Bob

Finally tried the wrench on my 10.5 Platinum yesterday. Set a crown anchor about 60' in a sycamore and tried a 4 wrap Michoacan using a 28" 8 mm OP cord, but it was way too loose. 3/2 Michoacan wouldn't grip either. VT was too long with my short wrench tether. Settled with a 6 wrap Michoacan. I was shocked at how stretchy the rope was, and I'm only 170 lbs; literally, like a rubber band. I don't remember it being that way, but I've been on Xstatic most of the winter, so...

Climbed with bare hands at first (painful) and I could feel the cross section flatten into an oval shape, even before making a descent on it. Went up and down 30' with no problems. Up to the top and back down, and I started to notice the core/cover connections. It didn't feel lumpy like it does with a mechanical, but if I didn't keep a good descent rate going, I would get stuck at those points and have to apply a lot more pressure to break the hitch. The tendency was worse the lower I got.

Switched to a 28" 8 mm HRC (which looked the same diameter as the Platinum) tied in a 5 wrap Michoacan, and that performed slightly better. Limb walking was no problem but it still stalled on descent. Got real tight after each swing and had to unweight it to break the hitch, sometimes with both hands. Once it released though, it performed well. No sudden drop, always held, always caught when released. The line stiffened a bit after a few descents, but nothing like HTP does - it was still easy to flake into a bag at the end.

Forgot to try it MRS, but I did a natural crotch redirect with a 5 wrap Blake's on the tail. Had to dress the hitch well and set my weight into it for it to grip, but once it did, it worked well. The one thing that stuck out to me was how delightful the tail was to manage. Felt light, ran through redirects easily, never got wrapped on limbs or stubs and never tied itself in knots. The line feels stiffer than a double braid and resists twisting which probably accounts for the behavior.

Might not be my first choice, especially for a cinching lanyard, but I would consider it again for climbing where weight and/or low visibility is a factor. Certainly wouldn't want to ascend over 100' on it.
Thanks Tuebor for the detailed review.

moss

Had a cold knock me down for a few days, couldn't work so... finished my 80' multi-mode woods climbing system. The tail end has a cover strength core-buried Dyneema eye to facilitate smooth remote install for a cinching canopy anchor. The low profile utility eye will sneak through a Zig Zag, Rope Runner or wherever else it needs to go. The front end has a slic pin stainless bow shackle instead of a captive ring. The slic pin shackle opens up possibilities for additional remote install/release options, mode changes between SRS and MRS etc. and probably stuff you or I haven't thought of yet. The shackle can be moved to the front eye position for more anchoring and remote release possibilites or completely removed for a clean MRS setup. The general concept is a relatively light-weight system that can be used to access any woods tree with up to an 80' anchor limb. Some possibilities for work climbing as well. Could be a wicked takedown system, with rope length spec'd for the typical tree sizes you work with in your area.

-AJ

Mowerr

Had a cold knock me down for a few days, couldn't work so... finished my 80' multi-mode woods climbing system. The tail end has a cover strength core-buried Dyneema eye to facilitate smooth remote install for a cinching canopy anchor. The low profile utility eye will sneak through a Zig Zag, Rope Runner or wherever else it needs to go. The front end has a slic pin stainless bow shackle instead of a captive ring. The slic pin shackle opens up possibilities for additional remote install/release options, mode changes between SRS and MRS etc. and probably stuff you or I haven't thought of yet. The shackle can be moved to the front eye position for more anchoring and remote release possibilites or completely removed for a clean MRS setup. The general concept is a relatively light-weight system that can be used to access any woods tree with up to an 80' anchor limb. Some possibilities for work climbing as well. Could be a wicked takedown system, with rope length spec'd for the typical tree sizes you work with in your area.

-AJ
Is that a BD dynex loop runner for the eye?

moss

Yes cmi does make a bow shackle with slick pin but I think it's bigger than the size your trying to use. I haven't seen one in person
Mine is 10mm diameter stainless steel, guessing the CMI slic pin shackle is larger maybe intended for rigging.
-AJ

moss

Mowerr, your earlier guess about a ring on the end of a rope kept coming to mind, and while playing came up with this option.
View attachment 65329
Looking good! With a bigger ring it will work better since you need to tuck a bite through it. The challenge with a splice is the rigid bury section above the eye interferes with choking on 4" > diameter wood.
-AJ

rope-a-dope

Wait... there's a certification program for polishing turds? Are you required to have two buffing wheels going during the entire polishing operation, or are we free to assess the risks ourselves?
No, one wheel is fine as long as you have a self lubricating unit (with plenty of butt grease). The only strict requirements are a full face shield and a spill kit.

moss

No, one wheel is fine as long as you have a self lubricating unit (with plenty of butt grease). The only strict requirements are a full face shield and a spill kit.
Recommend practicing with petrified cat poop first, only experts should attempt polishing fresh product.
-AJ