Moss Cinching Lanyard prototype

moss

The Cousins double braid splice is flexible enough to use the small ring.
View attachment 65331
Excellent, I've never seen such a flexible splice bury, does it break test well? Oh, the ring size is more about making it easy to tuck the bight through, not about the splice bury. You wouldn't be trying to do what you're doing in the photo in practical use. Good demo of the bury flexibility though.
-AJ

moss

Excellent, I've never seen such a flexible splice bury, does it break test well? Oh, the ring size is more about making it easy to tuck the bight through, not about the splice bury. You wouldn't be trying to do what you're doing in the photo in practical use. Good demo of the bury flexibility though.
-AJ
Read through a bit of the "Cousin's" splice thread in the Splice Rack, got it.
-AJ

JeffGu

Didn't Myth Busters have an episode where they polished some turds? I'll have to ask Mrs. Gu, since she has all of the series on DVD.

JeffGu

Ok, the wife said they had to use a Japanese Mudball Technique... dried the turds out, pulverized them, mixed them with a little water, etc. in order to polish them, but in fact, were able to polish a turd. She said they went to a zoo and collected turd samples.

My life is complete, knowing that in fact turds can be polished with the proper technique. No wonder certification is required.

moss

Oh wow, amazing JeffGu, even turd polishing requires care and attention to craft ;-)

In other news I did a simple test on the woods cinching long lanyard. Remotely cinched it with the slic pin bow shackle on a 75’ anchor, climbed up on a Rope Runner, hooked up a parachute cord release with a 6 oz throw bag on the end, descended and remotely took it out. Everything worked well.

I anchored the pull down in the same eye with shackle.
https://flic.kr/p/2irMZ3p
-AJ

Mowerr

Oh wow, amazing JeffGu, even turd polishing requires care and attention to craft ;-)

In other news I did a simple test on the woods cinching long lanyard. Remotely cinched it with the slic pin bow shackle on a 75’ anchor, climbed up on a Rope Runner, hooked up a parachute cord release with a 6 oz throw bag on the end, descended and remotely took it out. Everything worked well.

I anchored the pull down in the same eye with shackle.
https://flic.kr/p/2irMZ3p
-AJ
Where did u get that bow shackle from?
Or do u know who the manufacturer is?
I bet if this gets popular, Sherrill will probably make em with a milled quickie for a smooth cool 200$ lol

moss

Where did u get that bow shackle from?
Or do u know who the manufacturer is?
I bet if this gets popular, Sherrill will probably make em with a milled quickie for a smooth cool 200$ lol
This is a Suncor cheapie bow shackle, basically a knock-off of the very well made Wichard recessed hex head pin shackle. Suncor shackle is about an 1/8 of the cost but is stamped with the stainless steel grade and stock diameter. The main quality difference between the two is the total crap tooling on the Suncor pin including the hex head, pin threads and the receiving threads on the shackle, very poor. So I drilled out the Suncor threads to a perfect slic pin fit and am just using the stainless bow part of it.

There are some subtle details to the finishing work I did on the bow shackle for optimal slic pin functionality. Funny thing is I used a recalled Quickie slic pin with the rounded keeper spring teeth. With the fit I got doesn't matter, won't come out unless you're removing it intentionally. Effectively zero play in the fit.

For sure if you have a tight eye on your main rope and you put a very rope friendly (as opposed to the Quickie which is less so) slic pin bow shackle on the end you have a very sweet and easily configured choking system. Yep, product waiting to happen. You read it here first ;-)

Binoculars are required though, you want to verify everything ended up as you expected it (slic pin end not pressing against wood) when you set the choke. With my double eye setup I discovered the carabiner on the end eye can act as a backup to the shackle. With the very tight eye I've got the biner doesn't rotate position. Very cool benefit, makes your climb that much better when you know you have strength with the shackle and a back up in the mix in case something about the slic pin position goes unobserved after you set the choke.
-AJ

Last edited:

moss

For the short cinching lanyard I think a stock Wichard (or quality equivalent) recessed head bow shackle (no slic pin) is a winner. Using a ring is cool but working short lanyards die fast and you want to be able to just order a sewn lanyard no hardware and swap the existing shackle on to it. No need for the slic pin feature, short lanyard does what it does, doesn't need bells and whistles. The slic pin end would be a pain getting hung once in a while since you're constantly setting and resetting short lanyard.
-AJ

Mowerr

This is a Suncor cheapie bow shackle, basically a knock-off of the very well made Wichard recessed hex head pin shackle. Suncor shackle is about an 1/8 of the cost but is stamped with the stainless steel grade and stock diameter. The main quality difference between the two is the total crap tooling on the Suncor pin including the hex head, pin threads and the receiving threads on the shackle, very poor. So I drilled out the Suncor threads to a perfect slic pin fit and am just using the stainless bow part of it.

There are some subtle details to the finishing work I did on the bow shackle for optimal slic pin functionality. Funny thing is I used a recalled Quickie slic pin with the rounded keeper spring teeth. With the fit I got doesn't matter, won't come out unless you're removing it intentionally. Effectively zero play in the fit.

For sure if you have a tight eye on your main rope and you put a very rope friendly (as opposed to the Quickie which is less so) slic pin bow shackle on the end you have a very sweet and easily configured choking system. Yep, product waiting to happen. You read it here first ;-)

Binoculars are required though, you want to verify everything ended up as you expected it (slic pin end not pressing against wood) when you set the choke. With my double eye setup I discovered the carabiner on the end eye can act as a backup to the shackle. With the very tight eye I've got the biner doesn't rotate position. Very cool benefit, makes your climb that much better when you know you have strength with the shackle and a back up in the mix in case something about the slic pin position goes unobserved after you set the choke.
-AJ
Does the bow meet the specs in the z133 for us at work?

moss

After one climb I realize I want this on my 150' and 200' lines. The slic pin shackle makes all the difference, add it in or take it out as you want but you till have the tight eye on the end for typical crabiner use.
-AJ

moss

Great first test climb. The remote release kit with optional exploding anchor was cool too.

I assume a 5/16" - 3/8" quick screw link, delta, or pear link will also work instead of the modified shackle.
A delta is fine if you're only using it to do a classic cinch but is not as good as a ring or bow shackle for the primary cinching modes this lanyard is designed for. I'd use a 3/8" delta for the remote cinch. Good thinking BobBob!

For me these kinds of decisions come down to an optimal blend of functionality and aesthetics, The round shape as opposed to delta pleases me. What works well and what pleases me is all I have to go on designing this stuff.

I'll test a delta in the other cinching modes to see how it is. Thx!

I'll post the "Exploding Remote-Release Anchor" soon. I've come up with a super secure configuration, for applications where you want unlimited natural redirects with a retrievable canopy anchor, or a stand-alone retrievable canopy or base anchor, or mechanical redirect. It will be produced by a top-secret division of "Very Not Bad Custom Tree Gear" called "People May Die Industries", for expert use only.
-AJ

Last edited:

DSMc

AJ, is there a reason you didn't clip the carabiner onto the line also, when doing that remote set? Seems that it would give added security in case of a pin failure on the bow shackle.

moss

AJ, is there a reason you didn't clip the carabiner onto the line also, when doing that remote set? Seems that it would give added security in case of a pin failure on the bow shackle.
Great minds are great. After I reached the top, duh! Of course! For the return down I had the carabiner on the cinch as well. You can see that in the photos at the end of the vid. Will do that 100% of the time from now on when I set an anchor from the ground. Might as well take advantage of the free redundancy!
-AJ