Moss Cinching Lanyard prototype

Bob Bob

What do you like for a lanyard length 15’ or 20’ or other? @DSMc mentioned 20’. I can make either but looking to see if there’s a strong preference towards one or the other. Thinking 60’ and/or 80’ for the long version.
-AJ
My vote would be for 20' and actually would prefer a super light 9-10mm & 30' if there was a custom option.

Jehinten

Yeah, I want to do a small production run on them and make it available. I would do it direct to the climbers through my web site, more bits and pieces of the pie to keep my bills paid. Thx Jonny.

Note: Marten Penrose of "Dark Arts Splicing" in Vancouver has already built one using his shop's rope sewing gear

Have you spoken with Marten or anyone else who does commercial sewn eyes about the cost of manufacturing? Will the one end be the cost of two sewn eyes and the ring? Not your cost to customers, just your cost to have them made. Feel free not to throw a number out, as that's your business and profit margins.

I'm curious if you could skip the sewing between the ring and carabiner and instead use one of the restrictor rubber bands? This would cut down on your time hand sewing and potentially cut down on your manufacturing cost once commercially built.

Individual bands are under $.50 each.

moss

Have you spoken with Marten or anyone else who does commercial sewn eyes about the cost of manufacturing? Will the one end be the cost of two sewn eyes and the ring? Not your cost to customers, just your cost to have them made. Feel free not to throw a number out, as that's your business and profit margins.

I'm curious if you could skip the sewing between the ring and carabiner and instead use one of the restrictor rubber bands? This would cut down on your time hand sewing and potentially cut down on your manufacturing cost once commercially built.

Individual bands are under $.50 each.
I'm talking to Marten, good progress made. The constrictor is cool but I want it sewn for optimal durability, will be done by machine so no worries. Thx for the suggestion!
-AJ

moss

Curious, what's your thoughts on spurless for the removal?
For this heavy duty leaner spurs would've got in the way for most of it, just the last couple of cuts they would've helped but not worth the trouble to put them on for that.
-AJ

moss

Continuing to run this lanyard every day on my jobs, it's holding up, living up to my expectations. It passed the test today on crown reduction/tip pruning for solar panel clearance work. Finding better/quicker ways to implement one-handed etc. when I'm up floating in the small stuff.

This is an MRS implementation, my favorite of the day just for being cool looking. Was not too bad to adjust in or out.

The "standard cinch" is still my bread and butter

-AJ

Last edited:

moss

Things are moving along with my 80' "Woods Cinching Lanyard". The concept is a light kit for roaming the woods with only 80' feet of line (plus a short lanyard). The goal is to be able get in and out of any tree that has a a good anchor point no higher than 75-78'. This is for the northeast U.S., would not work for PNW tall conifers. Could be an excellent long lanyard for the PNW big stuff or bigger trees anywhere.

The captive ring is replaced with a custom slic pin bow shackle. I bored out the thread side of this shackle and set it up like this:

The shackle allows more versatile implementations for canopy anchors.

Every time the shackle is taken off the rope the keeper teeth can pick the rope cover. I put shrink tubing on both sides of the shackle eye to eliminate that problem.

Shackle functions the same as the captive ring does on the short lanyard. Last thing to do is finish the stitching (the red taped area) and put a core buried and stitched Dyneema webbing haul loop on the other end, I want to be able to install a conduit sleeve cambium protector to have a simple MRS option. I can always tie a termination knot if I want to use the tail for a second climbing system. Looking to test it Friday.

A shackle could be used on the short lanyard instead of a ring, for that implementation I'd use a recessed hex head shackle pin instead of a slick pin shackle.
-AJ

Bob Bob

I'm going to need one of these Moss Woods Cinching Lanyards...but 100'. What ropes are you planning on using?

JeffGu

You could put 3' of 1" chafe guard on the rope below the shackle, 3 or 4 stitches at the ends to keep it in place, and you'd have a built in canopy anchor. A retrieval line clipped into the end eye is exactly the best place to make retrieval easier (having it clipped to the shackle itself is actually NOT the best... near the shackle pin actually works better). Easy install from the ground, easy retrieval. No limit on natural redirects.

moss

You could put 3' of 1" chafe guard on the rope below the shackle, 3 or 4 stitches at the ends to keep it in place, and you'd have a built in canopy anchor. A retrieval line clipped into the end eye is exactly the best place to make retrieval easier (having it clipped to the shackle itself is actually NOT the best... near the shackle pin actually works better). Easy install from the ground, easy retrieval. No limit on natural redirects.
It may not need a chafe guard but that's an excellent idea. I'm playing with some interesting remote release concepts beyond what can be obviously done with it, thx Jeff!
-AJ

moss

As interesting as your new lanyard is, I would think that this shackle, even by itself will generate a lot of interest. Nice work, AJ.
Thank you! I heard mention that CMI might have produced a slic pin bow shackle, hopefully so, one less thing for me to make. Though it's fairly easy to make.
-AJ

JeffGu

Gawd, no. On this machine (a Nextbook with 10" screen, running Winblows 10) I'm forced to use Paint to do this stuff. This thing doesn't have enough resources to run a real graphics program. I really need to get one of my desktop PCs over here. They're buried in rubble at the other house and I've been too lazy to do it.

moss

I'm going to need one of these Moss Woods Cinching Lanyards...but 100'. What ropes are you planning on using?
I'm going with Yale Arrow Frog for my long lanyard build just because it's such a pretty line and it is a Yale 11.7mm double braid ;-) It is heavy per foot but I figure at 80' very not bad.

A 10mm 100' lanyard can happen easily for you. PMI EZ-Bend right? Back to the question asked in another thread, what's a good 10mm line for a Rope Wrench or other multicender? I think EZ Bend is the strongest candidate to-date until more info comes in on other options. Drew Bristow in the South Pacific is using one of the Beeline hitch cords for his Captain Hook line, probably 10mm. That would be nice but a bit expensive for 100'. The suppleness of Beeline is nice compared to typical 10mm kernmantles but... there may be objections due to the static loading/shock involved with an accidental drop on a high-modulus fiber core climbing line.
-AJ

Last edited:

Jonny

Ever considered 3/8” (around 10mm) Stable Braid?
I’ve been very curious about how it’d perform for climbing and plan on buying a 150’ and finding out for myself. If I don’t like it, it’ll go on a permanent 5:1 setup in a bag.
Probably a little stiff when new, but loosens up and gets more supple after some use.

Tuebor

Going to try the wrench on my 10.5 Platinum today or tomorrow. I think climbers don't like the lumpiness of it where the core and cover are connected, but I like it for stealthy rec climbs for its light weight and low visibility.

Also have a hank of Samson Predator coming from WesSpur next week. A bit heavier, but something I might like for use in the woods/parks.