Looking to buy my first knuckle boom crane with a grapplesaw.

Gus_B

Hi full disclosure I am a HIAB sales rep here in Ontario Canada.
When making a purchase this large always consider purchasing as local as possible however also consider the quality of service you will receive. Not all Crane dealers are created equal and not all know their products as well as others. Ask for references and call around. Also have a close look at their parts inventory and talk to the crane technicians to get a general idea of their knowledge.
Here is a package that was recently delivered here in Ontario.
HIAB X-HiPro 638 E-6 with Jib 150X-6 - Mecanil SG220RC and Multilift XR16 hooklift. Customer also purchased a man basket. All mounted on a new Kenworth T880 twin steer. In the pictures the bin is missing the top aluminum cover which is removable and converts the bin into a chipper body with incorporated saw storage. The package is 360 degree stable fully extended horizontally under full load in all slewing sectors with no computerized de-rating.

Attachments

Last edited:

islandedge

When making a purchase this large always consider purchasing as local as possible however also consider the quality of service you will receive. Not all Crane dealers are created equal and not all know their products as well as others. Ask for references and call around. Also have a close look at their parts inventory and talk to the crane technicians to get a general idea of their knowledge.
HIAB X-HiPro 638 E-6 with Jib 150X-6 - Mecanil SG220RC and Multilift XR16 hooklift. Customer also purchased a man basket. All mounted on a new Kenworth T880 twin steer. In the pictures the bin is missing the top aluminum cover which is removable and converts the bin into a chipper body with incorporated saw storage. The package is 360 degree stable fully extended horizontally under full load in all slewing sectors with no computerized de-rating.
Looks good, what's the reach?

Gus_B

92’ horizontal hydraulic reach lifting 1,920 lbs. 103’ full vertical reach lifting 2,200 lbs. Capacity varies with different angles and extensions extended or retracted. There is 1 manual extension as well that will get you out to 100’ horizontal when used.

bck

My crane sub has an Effer 1355. Its last trip to the service center left him down for over a month. When he got it back, it still wasn’t right due to a wiring harness issue that left the last main section inoperable.

There’s a Palfinger dealer in my town, but when I spoke to them, they said it would be way more expensive to use their shop because they service the marine industry. Everything is 3x the price because of that. I’m unsure where the next closest Palfinger shop would be that could service a boom.

BIK has a location just outside an hour from me. My lessons learned with my Easy Lift 87-48AJ have reinforced something I already understood, and that is service/support is everything. Definitely a major part of the decision making process.
What was your experience with the Easy Lift? Doesn’t sound like it was good.

bck

After looking over my post, I can easily see how my opinion could have been interpreted either way...good or bad. Thanks for your comment to allow me to clarify. UP is awesome.
Aside from service, how is the lift overall?!

bck

It’s awesome! I love that thing. My crew and I are constantly joking with the question “Did I say how much I love this thing today?”
how many hours do you have on the unit? Glad to hear it’s working well for you. Upequip has a solid reputation from what I see.

Gray squirrel

How much for that build?

JT31

Looks like a very nice build. I do like that you specified on the 360 degree stable with no computerized de-rating. I have seen dealers try to sneak that by people saying it is 100% stable.... but only when it is de-rated from the full capacity.

Gray squirrel

How does a hiab wallboard crane like treezilla compare to knuckle, durability and reliability wise

Gus_B

In the long run a Hiab 435K like Treezilla will outlast any equivalent flyjib crane.
Less moving parts, less extensions and all the extensions especially the last one are incredibly robust, large and beefy which will handle the deflection after the cut is made much much better. It also costs and weighs less than an equivalent reach crane with the same capacity.
The down side is the horizontal reach and maneuverability of the crane in tight areas around poles and lines. It seems that more and more people seem to think 90ft + is what the magic number is.
The Hiab 435K has now been replaced with the HIAB K HiPro 505 which maxes out at 82' horizontal with 1,540 lbs but in the air the capacity is huge at almost 90ft vertical holding 6,170 lbs.
Larger steel sections + Less moving parts = less repairs and longer crane life.
There's advantages and disadvantages to both styles but on the question of durability and reliability a HIAB K crane will outlast any flyjib crane hands down. Also if setup time is important to you with a K crane you don't need to unfold it and attach the grapple every time you use it.

Last edited:

Gray squirrel

In the long run a Hiab 435K like Treezilla will outlast any equivalent flyjib crane.
Less moving parts, less extensions and all the extensions especially the last one are incredibly robust, large and beefy which will handle the deflection after the cut is made much much better. It also costs and weighs less than an equivalent reach crane with the same capacity.
The down side is the horizontal reach and maneuverability of the crane in tight areas around poles and lines. It seems that more and more people seem to think 90ft + is what the magic number is.
The Hiab 435K has now been replaced with the HIAB K HiPro 505 which maxes out at 82' horizontal with 1,540 lbs but in the air the capacity is huge at almost 90ft vertical holding 6,170 lbs.
Larger steel sections + Less moving parts = less repairs and longer crane life.
Hey really appreciate the information I thought u would say that .when did 505 come out

Gus_B

Hey really appreciate the information I thought u would say that .when did 505 come out
Hey GS my pleasure. The HIAB 505 was introduced this past August.

Just to be clear I'm not on this site to flog my cranes and try and get a sale. I only sell in Ontario Canada and if anyone contacted me from the USA I would redirect them to their closest dealer in their state. I'm here to talk, learn, and occasionally offer advise and info when I can. I'll be asking some questions about your industry as well so I hope you'll help me out when the time comes.

Last edited:

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom