Lanyard adjuster

surveyor

Perhaps with a 3/8" rope, and using Morgan's offset hole idea further, it would be interesting to try a larger series of progressively offset 3/8"holes, so that the grip developed would be great enough for use on a single 3/8"line?

hannasm

I've been working with a petzl micrograb all summer which doesn't release under load. It was manageable to release 1-2ft at a time in conjunction with a foot ascender but it was tedious and if you released too much at once your foot could get tangled up pretty awkwardly.

My hipster just arrived and it seems like a fantastic option. I've only tried it out in the garage but it's soo small and light.

The hipster feels a lot like the unicender but releases much smoother, maybe they tweaked the geometry? It makes the rope pretty stiff and wiry just like the unicender. It feels very sturdy holding my 200lbs.

I'm not following why you need an extra prussic or HH below it @Brocky does that affect the way it functions?

Cereal_Killer

Yes releases no problem. Under partial load it seems to have a pretty narrow sweet spot but hanging on it full on DdRT it behaves much better. Tending is effortless.
I think it'll break in some, today was day one and my lanyard rope is pretty old so I'm hopeful itll get better when partially loaded and maybe even more with a new piece of rope. I definitely think it needs a swivel, maybe one of those DMM Nexus' or a petzl open.

Cereal_Killer

Question: I'm using a very stiff & tough rope as my lanyard with my new hipster (11mm PMI Ez-bend) so trying to put a stopper knot in the end is annoying, it's a huge knot and takes up a foot of rope since you can't pull it very tight and gets caught in about every pitch point there is.

I've whipped the end of the rope and adhesive shrink tubed over that. It doesn't come close to fitting through the Hipster, is this a safe method to keep from lowering myself off the end of my lanyard?

Attachments

• 20201106_215142.jpg
    20201106_215142.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16

Burrapeg

Question: I'm using a very stiff & tough rope as my lanyard with my new hipster (11mm PMI Ez-bend) so trying to put a stopper knot in the end is annoying, it's a huge knot and takes up a foot of rope since you can't pull it very tight and gets caught in about every pitch point there is.

I've whipped the end of the rope and adhesive shrink tubed over that. It doesn't come close to fitting through the Hipster, is this a safe method to keep from lowering myself off the end of my lanyard?
Sounds a bit iffie, especially with your life depending on it. The whipping and tubing could possibly slide off under enough shock load. Maybe, before the shrink tubing is put on, you could do a much bigger whipping of something like paracord, with one or two of the turns actually passing thru the rope thru a hole or two melted thru it on either side of the whipping. I have done that with both a small soldering iron and also just a heated nail. Then a little super glue to stiffen the end of the paracord to make it easy to shove thru the holes. In fact, when done, maybe soak the whole whipping with the super glue before the shrink tubing covers it?

Cereal_Killer

The whipping is done "the Yale method" where it's lock stitched in place so it doesn't just slide down the rope. Does that make it any better? Also of importance there's a good 4"+ of rope below the whip so it's not like I hit the whipping, it slides 3mm and boom rope comes out.

John@TreeXP

A stopper knot is the surest way to prevent that, but you can always run a weighted simulation and shock load test it too.

Jehinten

While that may work, I'd trust it more if it were mine, to double the end over and whip it like making a termination eye. Absolutely no way to slid through the device and more rope material for friction on the whipping and longer lockstitching as its going through two ropes. Then heat shrink over it all.

Jonny

Is Morgan a member here? Sounds like a swivel built into the device, kinda like the Positioner, would please some folks.

Flying~Squirrel

So could the hipster behave well enough to work part time as a full blown mrt set up? I've got a long deda flip line that frequently gets put on my bridge to function as a second climbing system.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom