Lanyard adjuster

Brocky

The smaller the diameter of the rope the more you have to pay attention. Squeezing the bars together between first two fingers seems to add some more control. With smaller ropes it tends to disengage when unloaded.

Burrapeg

It is more complicated than drilled holes and then rounding the edges. The rope enters the plate at about 45 degrees, and two approximately 1/8” round rims are made on the top and bottom of each plate by hollowing out between them. So each plate has two offset bearing surfaces, like a mini, first version rope wrench. The top plate takes up most of the load with the bottom plate doing the rest.
Interesting! Thanks for the details, Brocky. Tricky but still looks doable on my mill if I buy a ball milling bit the right size for those hollow areas. (These cutters are on sale in many places right now, with the economic slow-down). I must say, it is rather a curse to be a tinkerer and be retired now with time on my hands. If I was still working my shop full time professionally, it would be far cheaper to just buy a few of these Hipsters instead of spending all day making some!

Tuebor

It would not be too hard to make a DIY version of this thing for smaller rope using, say, 1/2 x 1 inch aluminium flatbar and the side plates off big roller chain links. The holes for the rope could be any size needed. One would want to chamfer or round over the edges of the holes, to be rope friendly. It is getting to be that time of year, anyway, for indoor projects in the shop.
I tried capturing some of the geometry of this device. The holes are at angles and line up only when the plates are flat.
20201028_145651.jpg 20201028_145613.jpg 20201028_145146.jpg 20201028_145236.jpg 20201028_145210.jpg

Jonny

I use the petzl grigri and it works really well. Super hard to find if you are not looking in the right place, check them out at
You sure it’s a Grigri, and not a Grillon?
I’m loving the Zillon, but still use a Gibbs or Buckingham rope grab for pitchy stuff. Sometimes a hitch and micro pulley, sometimes the Cinch, and recently scored a new Vergo for cheap, so whenever I get around to splicing a lanyard from 3/8” Stable Braid I’ll try that too.
Oodles of options. Still haven’t tried the positioner.
Not really what it was intended for, and kinda pricy, but the Akimbo is awesome for a long lanyard.

moss

I was tempted to try it until I saw the compatible rope diameters (11-12.5mm). I like my 9mm lanyard too much.

A Rope Runner OG works great on 10mm with the bird bollard adjusted down all the way. I'm sewing up a new Hook line with 9mm EZ-Bend, looking to see if I can somehow get the RR to work on the EZ-Bend, even if I have to round file the bird bollard adjustment slots just a tiny bit deeper ;-)

But... a Hipster designed for 9-11mm lines would be cool as a straight-thru path Hook line adjuster. It's worth asking Thompson about building one, potentially a decent market for all the Hook users out there and for folks who like 9-11mm lines for their lanyards.

It's funny though, now I'm imagining a Rope Wrench on a super short tether above the Hipster or Topknot. What a disaster, an inventor makes a super cool piece of gear that stands on its own and everyone immediately starts rearranging it and adding on and... you know, we can't stop.
-AJ

Last edited:

agent_smith

To the original poster:
I have found many different uses for the Madrock 'Safeguard' (springless).
Link: https://madrock.com/products/safeguard
Anything from technical rope access, abseil descent, fixed rope ascent, guy line tensioner for Arizona vortex frame, or employment as a positioning lanyard adjustment device.
Its quite small and compact, and works well with a very generous range of rope diameters.
Note that it has a sister product (the 'Lifeguard') - but the Lifeguard is not suitable for use in a positioning lanyard.

moss

Speak of the devil, in this demo of his awesome Bennett Hook device it looks like Thompson is using the Hipster on 10mm Reep Schnur as his progress capture/adjuster device. The straight thu path for a hook line adjuster is key, it allows a climber to use their foot ascender or footlock by any method while progressing on their hook line.

-AJ

Brocky

The Hipster does work as far as grabbing and easy release on 10mm ropes, but easily disengages if unloaded. It does grab again quickly though. It stays put on lines over 11mm, but my observations are from using on a stationary rope, as pictured above.

I tried the wrench and HH, both seemed to work, for the short testing I gave them.

Cereal_Killer

@Brocky can I see a pic of how you set it up and have it orientated on an HH.

I have one coming, missed the last 2 batches and kept bothering Morgan on insta about this batch.

Brocky

It’s longer compared to the HH hitch, it might be able to be about the same if the eye was turned ninety degrees, or was a swivel.

CjM

Am I crazy or did there used to be an e2e chest harness attachment point for the HH? I mrs on my lanyard all the time, and want a tiny e2e to pair with an ART positioner to mrs instead of clipping back to the becket on my pinto.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom