Lanyard adjuster

Ronhayden

I’m looking to buy a new lanyard adjuster. Currently I use a distel hitch and micro pulley. It works well no fuss really just want something different. One of my buddies uses a cinch as his lanyard adjuster and really likes it. I was debating between a vergo or madrock safeguard. Any input from guys that have ran them? I don’t think I want a rope grab since I like being able adjust without taking weight off the system. Help me spend some of my tax return!

Acerxharlowii

I’ve also seen some people use the Trango cinch bit you would need a 11mm rope to fit through. You can still find them on eBay and such. I think the Vergo is the new trango cinch

Crimsonking

The Grigri can feed out unintentionally if you take weight off of your lanyard, making it finicky. The cinch works great for many climbers; good luck finding one. If you’re spending your tax return, check out the grillon, isc rad, or the Positioner. The grillon and rad are similar to the grigri functiin, but don’t self release when you take your weight off the line, making them more predictable and secure. The Positioner is smaller than both, is super smooth, but operates a little differently than the other cammed options.

John@TreeXP

For rec climbing, I use up to three lanyards, sizes, 15', 30' & 55', depending on the tree and my climbing objectives. The 15' & 30' lanyards are used primarily in a MRS lanyard configuration connecting to my saddle's side Ds. The 55' and sometimes the 30' lanyard is used mainly as a secondary climbing system attached to my rope bridge's swivel, usually with a throwing hook or a self-mounted anchor point, so for that, I use the MadRock Safeguard, similar to the Petzl GriGri. Both the Safeguard and GriGri are mid-line attachable, so either one works well in an SRS or MRS lanyard configuration and a RAD setup. For my shorter primary lanyard, I use the Petzl Micrograb, which works great too for a side-Ds lanyard using a doubled rope configuration. I acknowledge the warnings about the fact that the Safeguard and GriGri can slip when unweighted, but that's just something I am mindful of and it's not a deal breaker. I'm also mindful about using my breaking hand, when adjusting the Safeguard or GriGri.

Last edited:

Crimsonking

Yup!! Since I caught it on sale, I went for the swivel, and so glad I did. ART makes amazing tools. I wish they weren’t so expensive, but when you experience the craftsmanship in the field, you forget how much you paid. One day I’d like to own a Lockjack and snaketail. I’ll be fine if I don’t, but trying them out impressed me. I’m also looking forward to my twin line ropeguide coming from treebay. Okay, enough ART advertising, just buy the Positioner.

Last edited:

Ronhayden

So the positioner does look awesome and I haven’t heard anything bad about them at all. I’m thinking that’s what I’ll go with unless someone has recommendations for something else

Reactions: ATH

John@TreeXP

Keep in mind, Thompson Tools is showing off their new Hipster & Topknot, but they're not yet available anywhere.

Last edited:

theatertech87

I highly recommend the zillion over the positioner It's virtually identical in function, but the zillion just did everything smoother and better. Not by leaps and bounds, but it's definitely noticably better.

Also I never found much need for the swivel on my lanyard

Ronhayden

I highly recommend the zillion over the positioner It's virtually identical in function, but the zillion just did everything smoother and better. Not by leaps and bounds, but it's definitely noticably better.

Also I never found much need for the swivel on my lanyard
How’s their rope that’s included. A lot of the threads on it talk about how crappy it is. I’m surprised that we can’t buy just the mechanical itself.

theatertech87

How’s their rope that’s included. A lot of the threads on it talk about how crappy it is. I’m surprised that we can’t buy just the mechanical itself.
Sure it's not as nice in the hand as a good climbing line. But it's functional, decently supple but still stiff enough to get a decent flip with, granted I haven't tried to abuse it, but it seems to wear decently well.

I bought it with the intent of cutting it off and replacing it if it was garbage, but haven't really found a reason to.

Bucknut

I’ve gone from an old school buckstrap to a Buckadjuster to a Trango Cinch to a Grillon.

I have zero complaints about the Grillon. Super robust, smooth, adjusts under load well. May be able to find one used fairly cheap. (I think they’re a bit overpriced new). If buying new I’d probably go with the Positioner based on reputation alone. But I’ll bet the Grillon lasts longer. Very simple mechanism, will last almost forever.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom