Lanyard adjuster

Chaplain242

I got to see a RE version at ARC. I didn't realize how far from market these things were.
It looked like a two step uni, color and all.
I remember there being a quick spot to slap in an eye from another device on the table so that it had hitchclimber potential... I wish I had taken pictures.
It was definitely a little different from the pictures here.

Can you describe the differences?

SomethingWitty

Arkansawyer
Can you describe the differences?
The pivoting plates were thicker or shorter... they looked exactly like unicender parts.
I don't remember where the obvious connection was for a small RE swivel that was close by, but I know that I picked one up that was attached to a pulley and laid it on top and saw that it was an easy attachment.
The RE guy was not at the booth at the moment, and I didn't want to mess up his display too much.
I suppose I can reach out to Dave Stice and see if I can dig up more details and maybe get a name to get some current pictures.

SomethingWitty

Arkansawyer
Looking back at the picture, maybe it was the piece that the flaps attach to that looked different.
I had a uni with it side by side, although I haven't ever really played with the unicender. Pardon the fuzzy memory, this was like two minutes in September.

Bob Bob

The Hipster is now (10/19/20) available, but probably won't last long.

Njdelaney

I can't justify the cost. If it was $100 I'd probably try one given how compact it is. Anyone on here using one daily? Any drawbacks?

Jehinten

The Hipster is now (10/19/20) available, but probably won't last long.
I'm curious if a worn out unicender could be cut down for this purpose? If I understand correctly its the top arm that wears out. Leaving the bottom two arms to work as a hipster. Although it may not be a good idea if it was never modified to keep the tail of the rope from slipping out, as you would only have a single link in contact. It looks as if the hipster is not mid line attachable, preventing it from having that problem.

John@TreeXP

I can't justify the cost. If it was $100 I'd probably try one given how compact it is. Anyone on here using one daily? Any drawbacks?
The cost is an impediment, I agree, but if it were to also come with a foot/knee ascender add-on, than it might seem more worth it. As a simple DdRT lanyard adjuster, its hard to see much value beyond that of less expensive rope grab, or a prusik based hitch tending pulley, but I think this product has the added functionality of also being used as a either a foot or knee ascender, or maybe even a rope bridge adjuster.

Jonny

Not midline attachable though. That’s pretty important to me for an ascender, not so important for a lanyard adjuster.

Wonder how it’d work as a plain old DdRT device.

Now sold out. Looking forward to a review y’all!

John@TreeXP

Not midline attachable though. That’s pretty important to me for an ascender, not so important for a lanyard adjuster.

Wonder how it’d work as a plain old DdRT device.

Now sold out. Looking forward to a review y’all!
I'm guessing you can get it to work in a DdRT system, but it won't be nearly as dependable and rugged as a zigzag or a hitch tending pulley. Under load in DdRT, it'll likely flatten and crush your climbing line too. Id be way more apt to use it as a lanyard adjuster, foot or knee ascender, but I already have that stuff. Let me know how it holds up in a DdRT setup, but just be mindful of excess wear on the device and the rope.

kymatt

I have a Petzl Grillion that I am looking to sell. I used it a hand full of times but I just prefer using hitch cord and a micro pulley. It grabs great and releases easy. And can be used on a single leg instead of traditional hip to hip.

Burrapeg

I was tempted to try it until I saw the compatible rope diameters (11-12.5mm). I like my 9mm lanyard too much.
It would not be too hard to make a DIY version of this thing for smaller rope using, say, 1/2 x 1 inch aluminium flatbar and the side plates off big roller chain links. The holes for the rope could be any size needed. One would want to chamfer or round over the edges of the holes, to be rope friendly. It is getting to be that time of year, anyway, for indoor projects in the shop.

Brocky

It is more complicated than drilled holes and then rounding the edges. The rope enters the plate at about 45 degrees, and two approximately 1/8” round rims are made on the top and bottom of each plate by hollowing out between them. So each plate has two offset bearing surfaces, like a mini, first version rope wrench. The top plate takes up most of the load with the bottom plate doing the rest.
03AE4C95-FE3B-40E9-957F-501AA6BF14E1.jpeg

Njdelaney

As a lanyard adjuster does it release progressively or is it all or nothing? I'm still tempted to get one so am looking for reasons not to haha

Mowerr

I got a zillion about a month ago and love it. Totally forgot what I paid it's so good. Done a bunch of pines and haven't felt it change at all due to the sap. Heard they don't sell them without the petzl rope it comes on so maybe it cost more but it's been great in all lanyard configurations I've tried, I like it much more than my art positioner....I still use that too but the zillion tends both ways much smoother in my opinion.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom