Decisions Decisions

Phil

Same. Did it a couple months ago. Lasted half hour til I wanted to redirect. Did the redirect. Then realized my utter madness. Won't be doing that again.
Sometimes when on MRS I'll want to redirect. I'll lanyard in, undo my terminal end, anchor it at the branch collar or the main stem and continue SRS. Using a HH2 so nothing to add or switch at the hitch. Once I'm done doing my thing I can go back to my terminal end and hook it back for MRS again. There's a few ways to make this happen but it's a good solution in some cases.

NeSurfcaster

1st tree got a nice tie in spot and then base tied to the tree. "Lantern bugs" were really infested in all the trees(cherry's, and I forget the name of the other tree's Sumac?, trash tree's with long skinny symmetrical leaves and smooth tan bark). But the pee or whatever the lantern bugs make is like sap/sticky/slimy stuff. HH2 worked great w/ the ascenders for setting up rigging points/TIP's. I still worked the tree w/ a separate drt rope. But got to tie in points w/ in record time w/ knee/foot ascenders. Used a friction saver for drt and what a lifesaver w/ that sticky bug juice.
Vines out the arse and some poison something that's starting to appear today. So between the bug juices and poison oak/sumac not poison ivy, I'm gonna wash my ropes w/ some rope cleaner I got from TS.

Anyone ever hear of a lantern bug? Adults are about a inch long w/ dark red under there wings. Smaller ones looked like a stink bug but still had red color under wings and on there belly. Everything under tree was covered in the juice, brush/fence looked like it was waxed since it was so shiny.

NeSurfcaster

Yup most of those pics look identical to what we saw. Had to be a thousand of them, maybe more. We did report them, later found out those bugs were all over the neighborhood.

Reach

1st tree got a nice tie in spot and then base tied to the tree. "Lantern bugs" were really infested in all the trees(cherry's, and I forget the name of the other tree's Sumac?, trash tree's with long skinny symmetrical leaves and smooth tan bark). But the pee or whatever the lantern bugs make is like sap/sticky/slimy stuff. HH2 worked great w/ the ascenders for setting up rigging points/TIP's. I still worked the tree w/ a separate drt rope. But got to tie in points w/ in record time w/ knee/foot ascenders. Used a friction saver for drt and what a lifesaver w/ that sticky bug juice.
Vines out the arse and some poison something that's starting to appear today. So between the bug juices and poison oak/sumac not poison ivy, I'm gonna wash my ropes w/ some rope cleaner I got from TS.

Anyone ever hear of a lantern bug? Adults are about a inch long w/ dark red under there wings. Smaller ones looked like a stink bug but still had red color under wings and on there belly. Everything under tree was covered in the juice, brush/fence looked like it was waxed since it was so shiny.
We have had the “Lantern Bugs” here for a couple years, and they are terrible. Their secretions are called “Honeydew” and attract bees, wasps, and other pests. The honeydew also grows Sooty Mildew like crazy, the trees will turn completely black from it. Some of the trees here have many thousands of the little pests in them, to the point that it actually looks and feels like it’s raining from all the honeydew falling. We dropped one Ailanthus last week that was so infested, after we picked the tree up and chipped it, it looked like the ground was crawling from all the little bugs.

NeSurfcaster

Good info man, the cherry tree's were turning black. I thought I got stung by a bee but it was just a 3/4" dagger off of a locust stuck in my thigh. Luckily I got it out in one piece.

Reach

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom