Decisions Decisions

Hi guys/gals, hope all is well. I'm not sure what to do for non spur tree work. I'm not sure if I want to buy a pulley friction saver and continue to use a blakes hitch w/ a prussic/pulley hitch tender. Since I use a pulley to pull my blakes up every pull it seems the pulley F/S would be beneficial. I'm also looking into the hitch climber pulley system w/ ring or thimble friction saver. It looks like the hitch climber set up w/ prussic (probably vt) would still make me pull all my weight up and hold my weight till I tended the slack. Maybe the different pull angle w/ hitch climber/vt makes it easier then hip thrusting w/ a blakes?
And my final option is to go srt w/ a hitch hiker 2 and foot ascender/s. I think working these big wide oak/maple canopies I'd prefer drt w/ a hitch climber or blakes. But I don't want to buy a srt set up just to get up to a TIP then switch over to drt. But maybe not, maybe leave srt hooked up and just use redirects for drt for work positioning when needed. 4-500 bucks for srt just to get to a TIP seems pricey for the amount of non spur work I do.

I heavily trimmed a large pin oak on saturday, probably close to half the limbs were removed. Not topped but many leads removed. 92 year old customer didn't care about the tree growing season just wanted more sun for his garden. But anyway it was a lot of hip thrusting working up and down threw the canopy all day. Lots of rigging involved w/ house/fence so constantly moving rigging points. Just looking for some opinions for whats best for working these big wide oaks/maples. Thanks guys for any advice for easier access/positioning in the canopy. Soryy for the long post w/ no pics

oldoakman

$400-500 is a cheap price for 10-15 more years or more climbing. You would be wise to avail yourself to some training events before taking the plunge. When this covid is crap is over look for events held by arborist supply shops and TCC events. Go to those, watch, listen and ask questions. SRT has completely changed the way I do my work, and having a second line for DRT is useful in a lot of situations. I use it a lot.

AdkEric

[...] Since I use a pulley to pull my blakes up every pull it seems the pulley F/S would be beneficial. I'm also looking into the hitch climber pulley system w/ ring or thimble friction saver. It looks like the hitch climber set up w/ prussic (probably vt) would still make me pull all my weight up and hold my weight till I tended the slack. Maybe the different pull angle w/ hitch climber/vt makes it easier then hip thrusting w/ a blakes?
And my final option is to go srt w/ a hitch hiker 2 and foot ascender/s. I think working these big wide oak/maple canopies I'd prefer drt w/ a hitch climber or blakes. But I don't want to buy a srt set up just to get up to a TIP then switch over to drt.
You can use the hitch climber in the same way you use your "self-tending" Blake's hitch setup. Check out the floating prussic technique in this video.

If you go with the HH2 you can use it in both srt and ddrt. I think if I were doing a lot of up and down all day I'd rather not waste energy body thrusting and take advantage of foot/knee ascenders.

climbingmonkey24

I started with a prusik hitch, then upgraded to the hitch climber, and now I've been climbing on the Petzl Zig Zag Ddrt. Not the new version the older one.

Add a foot ascender and a hand ascender and you can ascend fairly quickly without burning yourself out on the way up with the Zig Zag. I've also had good experiences with it for when you are out on limbs, etc. and you need to tighten the rope up or loosen the slack, very easy to do with one hand and very smooth as well.

Hitch climber isn't bad either.

But if we are talking about those long ascents with the smoothest, most energy-conserving method, I think the Zig Zag with the foot and hand ascender combo works well (if you rather stick with Ddrt).

Last edited:

Serf Life

I think working these big wide oak/maple canopies I'd prefer drt
So did I, and I was wrong. A combo is awesome for spready trees, straight drt is so hard on one’s shoulders. Wrench, footie, knee ascender (mini if avail, or make one), and cordage could be had for closer to $300.

climbingmonkey24

You know one thing I’ve been experimenting a lot with lately is instead of just one climbing system having two. Two Ddrt lines for better work positioning. Great for big trees with multiple leaders.

I’ve also found myself carrying two lanyards, and it’s come in handy quite a few times.

rope-a-dope

HH2 + foot ascender < $325
ZERO change over between srt and ddrt.
Tougher than you and the tree.
Why pay to just get to a tip and double rope? Because then the door is open, forever, instead of paying 100s just to the same old hip thrust with fancy new stuff.

Push through learning a new thing, and the rewards are bountiful. You'd be rope walking and redirecting your line right over the work...using your legs to go up and other cool shit.

Thanks guys for all your opinions, I have the 1/2" samson hawkeye rope at the moment. I wasn't sure if that would work w/ most srt equipment so I added a $125 for better srt rope w/ sewn eyes. I think I'm just gonna bite the bullet and go srt.

Unfortunately about half my side gigs are pruning/trimming so no spurs. So It's worth it to just get set up for the easiest way to ascend. So I guess I'll start looking into foot/hand ascenders and figure out if I want a mechanical or prussic style device. I'll go back threw the thread and check out the rope wrench set ups/options and mechanical options.

Thanks again and I'm going back threw this thread now to look at the mentioned options.

OasisTree

SRT all the way ... A uni-cender on a tether together with a foot ascender. Carry some webbing slings and carabiners with you as you go thru the canopy to set up temporary anchors on stems.

So far in my cart, I got a rope wrench w/ double fix ended tether, hitch climber rapide pulley, oval carabiners, 28" 10mm sewn eye's prussic cord, and a camp turbo foot ascender since it's on sale for 60 bucks. If I should get a different foot ascender I'm open to that. Also finally getting a throw line cube w/ some dynaglide and some lighter throw bags(10-12oz). Been using the weaver set up w/ that yellow line w/ 14oz bags and a 5 gallon bucket for storage.
I saw 1/2" rope needs the thicker prussic cord, so that's why I went with 10mm. Once again I got 120' of samson hawkeye that has about 10 jobs on it, so I would like to use it still. Also would a oval carabiner with a wire eye help keep things organized?
I'm interested in a second ascender also but not sure if I want a hand or knee ascender.
At least this set up lets me have the easy option to switch from srt to drt. But I plan on just using a blakes on a 2nd/3rd rope for redirects when needed in the canopy.
Thanks for the help, I know this same type of thread has been beaten to death the last decade. I'm not wealthy or even have the average income so I try to buy once. Even if it's a little more upfront.
Mechanical devices are interesting so still looking into them too. I saw the unicender is touchy on descent, the zig zag seems cool but looks like i would need the chicane for smooth srt descent. What I have in my cart so far seems best for limb walks.

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
I think I have small section of that blue rope(yale something). I like it and wish I would of bought that instead of the samson hawkeye i bought 2 months back. I use the small 40' section of that blue yale for redirects and its very smooth.
Bluemoon. Old poly/poly 11.7 24 strand doublebraid. Workhorse. Very static but handspliceable. One can never have too much rope. I own 10 min at anytime.

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
So far in my cart, I got a rope wrench w/ double fix ended tether, hitch climber rapide pulley, oval carabiners, 28" 10mm sewn eye's prussic cord, and a camp turbo foot ascender since it's on sale for 60 bucks. If I should get a different foot ascender I'm open to that. Also finally getting a throw line cube w/ some dynaglide and some lighter throw bags(10-12oz). Been using the weaver set up w/ that yellow line w/ 14oz bags and a 5 gallon bucket for storage.
I saw 1/2" rope needs the thicker prussic cord, so that's why I went with 10mm. Once again I got 120' of samson hawkeye that has about 10 jobs on it, so I would like to use it still. Also would a oval carabiner with a wire eye help keep things organized?
I'm interested in a second ascender also but not sure if I want a hand or knee ascender.
At least this set up lets me have the easy option to switch from srt to drt. But I plan on just using a blakes on a 2nd/3rd rope for redirects when needed in the canopy.
Thanks for the help, I know this same type of thread has been beaten to death the last decade. I'm not wealthy or even have the average income so I try to buy once. Even if it's a little more upfront.
Mechanical devices are interesting so still looking into them too. I saw the unicender is touchy on descent, the zig zag seems cool but looks like i would need the chicane for smooth srt descent. What I have in my cart so far seems best for limb walks.
I own a turbofoot. It is awesome but you need good form or it will kickout especially using a knee ascender. Get a SAKA minimax from Wesspur. It is worth every penny. Otherwise you are good. A chest harness or neckharness is important too. A quickie for a canopy anchor would be nice or you can knotblock a Ring/Ring. Enjoy.

rope-a-dope

This will be an awesome upgrade for your climbing. That oval biner will get cramped with double tether hitch and pulley. It's possible to jam it on; I used to like a nice wide pear shape like rockex pirates when I had to clip a big gear sandwich.
Spend some time on it, it's a really good step out.

Reach

Definitely a knee ascended over a hand ascender, the knee ascenders are much easier to use, makes climbing not unlike walking up the stairs or climbing a ladder. I personally use the Haas Velox ascender, have never used the Saka, but have a friend who does.

Mitch Hoy

Over the last four years, I went from just using SRT for canopy access to using SRT for everything but crane work. There was no conscious effort to switch styles, I was probably subconsciously resistant TBH. I just kept seeing opportunities where it made more sense, which snowballed into full time use. I still use DdRT everyday on my tail, which is another technique I now use without thought.

I would get an Akimbo, and an 11.7 Yale line, a foot ascender, and give it a shot. The akimbo is also great for DdRT, so you can ease into your transition. Knee ascenders are nice, but I rarely use one any more, except for really long hauls. Anything under 45 ft I just use the foot ascender in a footlock style ascension. I have even gone back to lanyard over the shoulder for my tether. For whatever reason, I stopped using a chest box and knee ascender for minimalist reasons, again not consciously. I just like to fly up without a bunch of hookups and associated gear.

In my thinking, if you are flirting with SRT, you will inevitably fall into regular use with it. Might as well start with stuff that will transition well with your use.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom