Compact Bulldog Bone

CutHighnLetFly

3 spine in 4-5 years just went into the Bone. Still love love love this thing. King of all the devices, and this one isn't even adjustable. I still have the 3 bollard adjustment model.

@surveyor any advice or input as far as the maintenance / ware of a bone this old? It gives me no reason to be nervous upon looking and inspecting, just curious if any observation or experience has lead to you having a service life timeframe in mind

Attachments

surveyor

I think the spine part is bulletproof, and will need replacement only if it starts to let the rope slip. Keep an eye on any edge it may form from wear at the sides of the spine. The original steel 5/8" dia. bollard is made from the roller link of the same chainlink that forms the friction link. Since it is free to rotate it lasts and lasts as you can attest . As far as the friction link pin itself, if it wears more than about 30 thousands (10%) then I would suggest you replace it with the same neptune coated links it comes with originally. the adjustable brass bollard should not be allowed to wear more than 10% (75 thousands). The side arms may need replacement eventually, maybe after about 10% wear also. These are suggestions, which I think are prudent. The Bone can be taken entirely apart if a closer inspection is desired, just replace the cotters with new stainless steel cotters upon reassembly.
Edit: One further point, do not let the nubs on the top arm degrade to the point that they no longer protect the top arm from cross loading with the bottom arm. The rubber nubs can be obtained from Mcmaster-Carr (8-32 ss stud with 3/4" dia. nub), I use red loktite when installing the nubs and grip the protruding studs with a small visegrip to tighten to refusal before trimming the excess and grinding flush on the inside surface of the top arm. Also I use a product called Lanocote on all the joints upon assembly, which I would highly recommend.

Last edited:

RBJtree

Those staight ass twigs.....lol
They are bigger than they look. They are far away. Nothing like your trees of course. But they are pretty straight with all the branches cut off. 20190322_145153.jpg 20190323_115035.jpg
You will have to excuse my bussiness partner for not wearing ppe while cutting this log. We have since instated a mandatory ppe for all people on job site policy. These pictures are from a while ago.

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
They are bigger than they look. They are far away. Nothing like your trees of course. But they are pretty straight with all the branches cut off. View attachment 61606 View attachment 61607
You will have to excuse my bussiness partner for not wearing ppe while cutting this log. We have since instated a mandatory ppe for all people on job site policy. These pictures are from a while ago.
Just pulling your chain. I know your trees. Lol.

rico

They are bigger than they look. They are far away. Nothing like your trees of course. But they are pretty straight with all the branches cut off. View attachment 61606 View attachment 61607
That is a nice stick of wood! As far as the lack of PPE, let those who ride decide!

TimBr

Official Well Known Greeter
Hey, @jaja25840!! Another big welcome to the TreeBuzz forum! I'm excited for you, too! We'd all love to hear how well you get on with your new devices, once you get some time on them. Climb safely, and thanks for signing up to be a member here at the TreeBuzz forum.

Tim

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom