Cinching spar anchor

Lemonjello

I like it. Substitute a pulley biner into the bight to reduce some friction.

This ISC pulley could work too. As long as the folded bight passes.

I tried it with the pinto on a loop ( same one as pulleysaver) works well, a bit heavy and not really much of an advantage Ring is lighter and easier for me.

DSMc

I’m in Hawaii and do quite a bit of coco palms (basically a near-ish vertical spar) On removals I defrond the crown, open up the cinching loop and lasso it over and cinch...

Thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately, I'm still not seeing how this is significantly different or even an improvement over the aforementioned alpine butterfly with any of the acceptable midline attachable hardware links. They all form easily adjustable, cinching loops, that can be flipped over the top and retightened.

Lemonjello

Thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately, I'm still not seeing how this is significantly different or even an improvement over the aforementioned alpine butterfly with any of the acceptable midline attachable hardware links. They all form easily adjustable, cinching loops, that can be flipped over the top and retightened.
True. Just something different.

I still quite like this slant on things - the advantage to me is it's so small if tied with a Teufelberger steel thimble prussik. Which to me is geat for small spars - like some of the spruce tops I mess with here. A biner on these, to me, isn't great because of the small bend radius of the stem and even a quickie has the length of the alpine butterfly on top of the small connector. Beyond that maybe it about evens out - in a spar chunking scenario I'd probably leave a longer tail for pull down and therefore you're only setting the thing up once anyway. And you can move this around on your rope as with AB/quickie to even out any wear areas. Another addtion to the tool kit, just like a Secret Weapon. This week's neat thing . . .

rope-a-dope

The dead ring/thimble kills the prussik choke. Threading your rope through an empty prussik will not ever beat tying a normal midline knot for me, nevermind a special preloaded prussik on a dowel!
And leaving it on the rope all the time? Sure I have a great spar anchor but hold on, first I have to make a spar and stick it over the top?
I'm with DSMc, once you have an opening connector to choke with, theres no difference between a prussik or knot accept the amount of stuff on your belt.

Lemonjello

Use whatever hardware you prefer....the point is an adjustable tail length. An alpine isn't adjustable.
That was kinda my point in the original post. Use whatever you want, this was just “another method” and it works pretty well. I use the tuefelberger thimble prussic the most tbh. Again thanks for all the feedback!

DSMc

I hope my questions and comments did not come across as simply a negative opinion. The introduction of new ideas and how they are used is something I fully enjoy exploring. So thanks for posting it.

Mostly I was trying to verify that I wasn't just being stupid and missing something obvious about this technique.

oceans

So I made a thing. Based on an adjustable friction saver concept. Seems to work pretty good. Setup is slower than more traditional SRT spar methods but works pretty good. For conifers, palms or single spar it works really smooth. You can even leave it on the line for regular canopy till the spar and open it up and loop it on after you flop the top. Lemme know what you fella think. I made a video, I’ll post the link once it’s uploaded. It explains how it’s actually setup. Thanks.
Video:
I made a similar concept a while ago for a MRS. It was an ART Cocoon on an Eye, which was passed through a large Ring on a Prusik. It retrieved by a snap below the Prusik. The problem was that the Prusik doesn’t get loaded quite right, and you really have to lock it down hard to prevent unintentional release/movement. It the tree bark can “operate” the Prusik, your weight could potentially pull the rope until the stopper jams against the Prusik.

Don’t mean to sound too critical, just sharing my experience.

JMB6

What do you think about using Rope Logic Usaver as a spar anchor?

Stumpsprouts

It’s a little more money, but you get some more things out of it. A cinching spar anchor would be one of a few uses for it. Definitely get the 12’ version.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom