Cinching spar anchor

Lemonjello

So I made a thing. Based on an adjustable friction saver concept. Seems to work pretty good. Setup is slower than more traditional SRT spar methods but works pretty good. For conifers, palms or single spar it works really smooth. You can even leave it on the line for regular canopy till the spar and open it up and loop it on after you flop the top. Lemme know what you fella think. I made a video, I’ll post the link once it’s uploaded. It explains how it’s actually setup. Thanks.
Video:

Attachments

• 04C593F4-FE9A-455F-BD8C-F90CE7C1B86E.jpeg
    04C593F4-FE9A-455F-BD8C-F90CE7C1B86E.jpeg
    791.1 KB · Views: 142
  • DE076A90-7249-40CA-B4DE-7D4E17C32624.jpeg
    DE076A90-7249-40CA-B4DE-7D4E17C32624.jpeg
    900.5 KB · Views: 136
  • 3A68B57F-B382-4C21-AD5E-F33F4D430D39.jpeg
    3A68B57F-B382-4C21-AD5E-F33F4D430D39.jpeg
    299.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 754074FA-979D-4515-8671-6ADF24CEF098.jpeg
    754074FA-979D-4515-8671-6ADF24CEF098.jpeg
    641.2 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

Christrees

I like it. Id trust it. And ill be trying it this summer. Ive actually thought about it this last season. But never got around to trying it. And i was wondering why ive never seen it done before. Its so simple its crazy.

Owen Roberson

So I made a thing. Based on an adjustable friction saver concept. Seems to work pretty good. Setup is slower than more traditional SRT spar methods but works pretty good. For conifers, palms or single spar it works really smooth. You can even leave it on the line for regular canopy till the spar and open it up and loop it on after you flop the top. Lemme know what you fella think. I made a video, I’ll post the link once it’s uploaded. It explains how it’s actually setup. Thanks.
Video:
F5F6C85C-EC3A-45AB-9056-1498A7ECBC12.jpeg
I use the rope logic multi sling in a prusik configuration a lot

Great video guy! If this helps any, this winter I've been fiddling around with prussiks like the Sirius ring loop and Teufelberger's steel thimble prussiks (TP) in the cold up here (my version of treesqueeze). Got fed up making a six wrap prussik with cold hands and gloves. What I did was use a section of wood dowel (inside the six wrap) with a loop of cord on one end to keep the prussik "formed" - the thimble prussik is clipped in till I need it along with the cord on the dowel - then when you go to thread the rope thru the prussik, you can take the dowel out with the six wrap "preformed". Was about the same fiddle as opening a triple locking biner (esp trying to figure out which way the one you've got actually opens).
And I used to keep a TP on my lanyard till I belted my helmet one day when goin' round a stem before cinching up - bit lower and coulda been not so fun, so I keep anything with weight off my lanyard end now. Guess I was not that bright, but it was a pretty good knock on the noggin. Just rope around the stem as you've shown it has the advantage of maybe being safer to me than wingin' hardware around a stem in other setups?

Owen Roberson

Also instead of having to tie such a large prusik using a Blake’s hitch with a safety knot below the hitch works Great too saves a bit of time

Christrees

Also instead of having to tie such a large prusik using a Blake’s hitch with a safety knot below the hitch works Great too saves a bit of time
Yeah ive almost boutght the monkey tail spar gizmo. A 5ft section of 10mm op with a ring spliced on it. You could tie the blakes or a prusik. I like the idea. But i have other ways to do it. Like just using my frition saver. Or i have the flint locker. Great setup. Just clip the tail end of my rope in there and easily return. Or just a ring. I love the simplicity of just throwing a ring above your hh2 or rope wrench throwing the rooe around the spar tail end back into the ring and clip a carabiner in. Then cinch. But i will still try it this year. Even tho ive had the thought. I wouldnt have had the thought to post it. I cant believe it hasnt been yet.

Christrees

Great video guy! If this helps any, this winter I've been fiddling around with prussiks like the Sirius ring loop and Teufelberger's steel thimble prussiks (TP) in the cold up here (my version of treesqueeze). Got fed up making a six wrap prussik with cold hands and gloves. What I did was use a section of wood dowel (inside the six wrap) with a loop of cord on one end to keep the prussik "formed" - the thimble prussik is clipped in till I need it along with the cord on the dowel - then when you go to thread the rope thru the prussik, you can take the dowel out with the six wrap "preformed". Was about the same fiddle as opening a triple locking biner (esp trying to figure out which way the one you've got actually opens).
And I used to keep a TP on my lanyard till I belted my helmet one day when goin' round a stem before cinching up - bit lower and coulda been not so fun, so I keep anything with weight off my lanyard end now. Guess I was not that bright, but it was a pretty good knock on the noggin. Just rope around the stem as you've shown it has the advantage of maybe being safer to me than wingin' hardware around a stem in other setups?
Let me see a pic when you get a chance

Let me see a pic when you get a chance
Here you go - a piece of 7/16" dowel tapered a bit on one end to store the prussik on (a tree stick would work too). One thing maybe to add also is that for 11 mm kenrmantles (say KM III) it's not too hard to thread thru all the prussik turns but for bigger ropes like 11.7 mm Samson Voyager say, the last couple of prussik turns can get tight - I find it helps to use a longer wrap of tight electrical tape on the rope end to feed thru the 6 wraps - just gives you something to grab more easily. Some folks also thread some tat thru the end of their rope end which you could yank on but I've never done this in case it gets snagged on something along the way in the tree in my travels. Sirius ring loops are easier 'cuz there more prussik cord but you can do the same with a larger dowel maybe.
Cheers all

Attachments

• Prussik-Dowel.jpg
    Prussik-Dowel.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 28

Christrees

Here you go - a piece of 7/16" dowel tapered a bit on one end to store the prussik on (a tree stick would work too). One thing maybe to add also is that for 11 mm kenrmantles (say KM III) it's not too hard to thread thru all the prussik turns but for bigger ropes like 11.7 mm Samson Voyager say, the last couple of prussik turns can get tight - I find it helps to use a longer wrap of tight electrical tape on the rope end to feed thru the 6 wraps - just gives you something to grab more easily. Some folks also thread some tat thru the end of their rope end which you could yank on but I've never done this in case it gets snagged on something along the way in the tree in my travels. Sirius ring loops are easier 'cuz there more prussik cord but you can do the same with a larger dowel maybe.
Cheers all
Oh alright..i see what you mean now. You just keep it on there to keep the wraps. I couldn't picture it for some reason. Maybe the way i was reading it idk. But yeah thats a good idea.

Christrees

Cheers all
I need a new one for my hipstar flex.

Tree-Taylor

Video:

I've thought about using a prussic in place of the alpine butterfly for years but never tried it. Glad to see it works well. I'm going to give it a go with a quickie.

DSMc

I've thought about using a prussic in place of the alpine butterfly for years but never tried it...

Alpine butterfly with a quickie or a prussic with a quickie, is there any benefit to one over the other?

Seems to me the alpine butterfly is an overall better solution.

Christrees

Alpine butterfly with a quickie or a prussic with a quickie, is there any benefit to one over the other?

Seems to me the alpine butterfly is an overall better solution.
Alpine and a quicke is and has been my go to...but i really think this could be something. You keep the prusik with a ring on your climbing line its quick easy retrieval is the same. You just wouldn't have to tie the alpine butterfly when your setting up. If you move your rope around alot this is a great idea. Meaning when you cant just slide the alpine butterfly down. More like moving to different leads. I like it. Thought about all the time just never got around to doing it. Because honestly a flint locker or just 1 ring. You can pretty much do the same thing. So thats also what ill do. The flint locker is just amazing. I love it. Someone that uses the alpine butterfly and quickie. Should try it. Pretty much the same thing. Just using 2 rings attached with a sling runner. Sorry having a brain fart. Alot of people refer to something like this as a soft 8.

DSMc

We are talking about a climbing line here and not just a lanyard?
If so, it seems like you are going to be sliding that prussic an awful lot each time you need to move things.

rope-a-dope

Odis monkey tail! First choking anchor I Iearned (with extra gear).
Prussik is nice and short, but one legged hitch like Blake's is so easy to throw on a rope splice and use tail-in-crab to pull down.
Even easier is a sheet bend tied with rope end onto thimble loop. Also with tail in crab pull down.

Christrees

We are talking about a climbing line here and not just a lanyard?
If so, it seems like you are going to be sliding that prussic an awful lot each time you need to move things.
Yeah we were talking about a climbing line not a lanyard. And yeah you may be right. But like i said moving a prusik compared to or untying and retying a alpine butterfly. I feel moving the prusik maybe easier and faster. But i have no experience with the prusik way so i cant say for sure. But seems like it. You should try it and let me know. Ive seen you in alot of threads you seem pretty knowledgeable id like to hear what you think about it. I know you said the alpines your go to. But just check it out. I may but ill be doing it inside. Too much damn snow in my area right now.

Christrees

Odis monkey tail! First choking anchor I Iearned (with extra gear).
Prussik is nice and short, but one legged hitch like Blake's is so easy to throw on a rope splice and use tail-in-crab to pull down.
Even easier is a sheet bend tied with rope end onto thimble loop. Also with tail in crab pull down.
Yeah i want to get 1..they look awesome. But i have so many other ways to do it. It dont make much sense to spend what 50 $60 to get the monkey tail. Thats why i want to get into splicing. I wish i could make my own. Just a little intimidated on the subject. Looks hard. All these words like fids i dont understand. They do look awsome though.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom