Akimbo vs BDB

Treezybreez

Gordon has done a marvelous job refining the BDB. I just wish he would take the final step and make the top arm with the support hooks for the link pin that the bottom arm has. For me, it is a major flaw and omission.
I can't remember if Gordon tried the support hooks for the top or not. Even if it did improve the device, I doubt there will ever be a "final step" LOL!

DSMc

LOL! True that.

Gordon did have one with top hooks that he made specifically for 1/2" ropes, it looked great.

surveyor

I did make a Bone called the Stubby with the same top arms as the bottom arms, back in 2017. It never seemed to catch on, and I have been too busy to play with that design anymore anyway. Perhaps I will have to revisit that design with the new spine and the elongated bollard. : )

DSMc

That would be tremendous, Gordon. I believe the lack of interest in the Stubby was related to it being 1/2" rope specific. I had planned on to getting one because I do use 1/2" rope, Vortex, but life got in the way.

Having the additional safety that the top hooks would impart on the current BDB model would be a great addition.

Ken Yanoviak

The BDB doesn't suck my glove in nearly as much as the Akimbo. I have had more trouble dialing in the Akimbo than the BDB. When parts wear out, you can simply order new ones from Gordon and replace them yourself. You do not risk dropping the BDB when taking it on and off your line while aloft.
You can detach the akimbo while still clipped in with a biner?!

CutHighnLetFly

The major problem I have with Akimbo vs the Bone is the Akimbo's bottom attachment. It's a pinch point / friction plate. So when you sit into it, it's pressing on the line, and when unloaded it can move a bit.
My problem was when you release the device to descend, in an effort to make a smooth long descent on a swing or to just a lower point in the tree the device goes, very quickly, from quick descent to almost freefall like fast drop. (@JMerritt I saw an Akimbo prototype my buddy has with a new attachment point that looks like it resolves this issue. Thing was really cool)
The bone can't really ever go into free drop mode. All this leads to the Akimbo being smoother going up, but I don't like the trade.

Last edited:

JMerritt

The major problem I have with Akimbo vs the Bone is the Akimbo's bottom attachment. It's a pinch point / friction plate. So when you sit into it, it's pressing on the line, and when unloaded it can move a bit.
My problem was when you release the device to descend, in an effort to make a smooth long descent on a swing or to just a lower point in the tree the device goes, very quickly, from quick descent to almost freefall like fast drop. (@JMerritt I saw an Akimbo prototype my buddy has with a new attachment point that looks like it resolves this issue. Thing was really cool)
The bone can't really ever go into free drop mode. All this leads to the Akimbo being smoother going up, but I don't like the trade.
which one was this? if its jerky on descent try tightening up the bottom setting. i am working on a different spring placement. it seems that is one of the major reasons the akimbo sucks at sap so much.

CutHighnLetFly

@JMerritt I saw an Akimbo prototype with a different attachment point / bottom friction po
which one was this? if its jerky on descent try tightening up the bottom setting. i am working on a different spring placement. it seems that is one of the major reasons the akimbo sucks at sap so much.
Ugh I dont know too well how to explain it. It's. It that it was jerky as much as trying to dial in that fast descent control was getting me. But this one I saw (my buddy Josh Burr had it), that attachment point / friction point moved a lot less and when unloaded. Definitely seemed like if you were to break the device wide open, it would be more controlled. Either way man, really neat to have been seeing you here developing it

Z'sTrees

How does the bollard adjust on the new style Bone?

Fwiw, I've used both extensively and they're both great tools. Very similar too. I'd say the akimbo is a bit more refined and adjustable, which can be a drawback too.
The Bone is rock solid, rebuildable, and a bit more intuitive to set up and use.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom