Akimbo vs BDB

Jpennay

I'm looking at buying one of the two (Akimbo, BDB ) in the near future. Has anyone used both that can give any feedback pros and cons of both. Thank you in advance

Merle Nelson

Sure, I have two of each. They're both amazing tools.

Hmmm, I couldn't say a thing against either. I tend to have both Akimbos on my saddle all the time and fairly often run two lines. I like it's look a tad more. I like the idea that I could adjust it a tad more easily but never had to adjust either the Akimbo or BDB much.

I don't think you could go wrong either way.

Jpennay

Sure, I have two of each. They're both amazing tools.

Hmmm, I couldn't say a thing against either. I tend to have both Akimbos on my saddle all the time and fairly often run two lines. I like it's look a tad more. I like the idea that I could adjust it a tad more easily but never had to adjust either the Akimbo or BDB much.

I don't think you could go wrong either way.
Do you detach and reattach when you're in the air? I'm wondering when I redirect, which would be smoother to reattach instead of fumbling the device around.

Barc Buster

Do you detach and reattach when you're in the air? I'm wondering when I redirect, which would be smoother to reattach instead of fumbling the device around.
That's mainly a personal preference thing. Use either for any period of time and mid-line transitions become very smooth. I have both and really like both. If I was looking to buy just one I'd buy both and sell the one I didn't want on treebay.

Jpennay

That's mainly a personal preference thing. Use either for any period of time and mid-line transitions become very smooth. I have both and really like both. If I was looking to buy just one I'd buy both and sell the one I didn't want on treebay.
I'll probably end up buying the akimbo first just for the fact it's not "homemade" but I've seen the akimbo runs a little rough through the weather and sap. I work through the rain so I might have to switch to the rr in those occasions

Treezybreez

The BDB doesn't suck my glove in nearly as much as the Akimbo. I have had more trouble dialing in the Akimbo than the BDB. When parts wear out, you can simply order new ones from Gordon and replace them yourself. You do not risk dropping the BDB when taking it on and off your line while aloft.

Jpennay

Ahh man that'd be nice not having a chunk of glove getting caught up, I thought it was just normal. Happens with my runner all the time so figured it came with the territory.

Jonny

Solid advice. In excellent to new condition they tend to hold their value pretty well, and tend to fetch a price on TreeBay just a wee bit under what they are new, maybe 10% or so.
I want a CBDB, I’ve heard great things about them and love the design. Zero experience with them though.
I can say the Akimbo is mad fast to put on or take off. There’s nothing to drop besides the device itself or the biner. There’s no fumbling. I think the BDB is like that too. I haven’t tried putting it on a rope one handed, but I’ll bet I could with a tiny bit of practice.

Merle Nelson

Both can be put on a rope in the tree with zero chance of dropping them Jpennay. Just leave the device on your biner/harness and thread the rope through.

Welcome to TreeBuzz by the way.

CanadianStan

The rope runner is harder / more inconvenient to take off in the tree

The akimbo is a breeze.. quick, easy, nothing to drop

If you climb trees with sap the akimbo is rough as shit. I keep my akimbo for clean trees and climb the nasties on my rope wrench

Tuebor

I have the original style BDB. I find it easier to take off/put on the rope compared to the Akimbo. By easier, I mean like 5 seconds quicker, if that matters, probably because it's larger and the rope path is easier to follow. Otherwise, the Akimbo is much more adjustable to rope size and condition. It's also lighter and more compact. The BDB seems more robust and doesn't have a spring that could fail. I haven't used mine in years but I don't recall ever having a glove get sucked in like with other multicenders.

Treezybreez

Here are some pics of the new Bulldog Bone options. The V shaped spine is reversible allowing twice the run time. Also there is an oval shaped top friction point option that replaces the circular adjustable one. The oval friction point is reversible without having to even take the BDB apart (when no line is present in the device it can spin completely around).

IMG_20200507_150459373_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

DSMc

Gordon has done a marvelous job refining the BDB. I just wish he would take the final step and make the top arm with the support hooks for the link pin that the bottom arm has. For me, it is a major flaw and omission.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom