175 Ton Knuckleboom

Wagnaw

I really thing K-boom trucks are the future for a lot of industries. ...at least in the U.S. Europe, once again, is way ahead of the game on this one. I mean... even one as small as my dads, which only has 45 ft of side reach is invaluable for saving urban lumber or taking the last trunk pics without damaging lawns, etc...

allmark

I havent ever had any problems on concrete with mine blacktop can be troublesome sometimes if it wasnt thick. Plywood takes care of that and doubleing up under front tires when picking over cab.

brendonv

Do you guys ever have your customers bitch about paying vs. being done so quick? I could see that happening alot "What do you mean $1500, you where only here 3 hrs." "Ms. Smith, there's 200$k in your front yard"

Cameron

I had a customer say to me you so "I guess your going rate is a thousand dollars an hour." It was a nice size oak over a house for $3K. I was the lowest by a couple hundred, not like I ripped here, but simply had the equipment to be efficent. I stumbled a little on my words, I was caught off guard. Look at all this equipment here.
Sometimes I wonder if I'm to big for my own self. I heard from another tree guy I sub for, he was working a job three doors down from my house. I didn't even get the call. He ask the Homeowner why he didn't call us and he told me "look at the guy, he has over a million dollars of equipment rolling out of there, he can't be cheap." I also had a neighbor down the road say to one of my crew while working there house, that they were suprised I could be so competeive with all the equipment, thought he would be much higher. So it does seem to hurt me the people that see me everyday.
But by far I seem to get 100:1 comments on how amazed they were with us watching when we are at work. Hopefully those people words will speak more than what people see.

Paul Biester

Dude , you are set up to be a high end proffessional company ....no shame in that!! the equipment is what it takes. some understand some do not. wadda ya gonna do?

rangerdanger

K-Booms are awesome, but, like everything else, boom trucks and k-booms each have their place.

Also, I was wondering, since most big k-booms are remote controlled (usually by the climber it seems), do you feel it's safer. At times, it seems like it's just one more thing for a climber to do and worry about.

allmark

Carry a picture of a shvel w/ $10/hr written on it then get a picture of a Cat 330 Excavator w/$200/hr. under the shovel put a picture of a climber holding a rope with your rate and under the excavator put a picture of a crane with that rate.

Attachments

allmark

There are many tree services using them without the climber operating the crane. In my situation Ive had training and time in both crane operator and climber. I feel it is much safer since I have learned to rig so I can make the cut then put the saw away and if necessary move before making the lift. I almost always have a better view of the situation and I know nothing will be done without my actions.
This is not saying there arent good crane operators. There are several people here that can attest to having great operators to work with.

Cameron

I still like feeling the crane in my hands. To know what kind of load I'm dealing with especially rotating and winching. I was able to save the crane one time when my cribbing starting sinking into the ground. I sure they both have there advantages and disadvantages. Mark, do you have a read out on your remote to tell you what your capacity is? Forgive if I missed that info in a previous post. I would think that would be a must.

allmark

No read out other than a load chart. I have never had a crane with a read out. My old crane didnt have any lmi at all. once there is a load on my new crane there is audible beeps to let you know when you are at 90% and 100%. It is more set up for moving away from the crane. There isnt any device out there for our situation where once you have the load it is usually at the furthest point you will have it.

Cameron

How does it differ reading a load chart from k boom to crane? How do you know what angle your at? I'm constantly refering to my boom angle and then load chart during picks, especially wood to know how big I can go.

allmark

I would not say guess work. I would say experience/education/and proper work practices.

Hollen--My point was the overload devices dont work in our situation because by the time it goes into overload we already have the piece. If it is to heavy there isnt anything the overload protection can do. Some are worse.
LMI and other computer readouts are helpful in speeding up calculations as to the cranes capacity at a given radius and height. I can do the same thing with a load chart it just isnt as convenient.

HÖLLENREICH

[ QUOTE ]
I would say experience/education/and proper work practices.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I think I got ya. Little math in head and cut. Educated guesses with experience it's works. I work with a guy always says looks good on paper lets try. Aint had no problems yet.

MikePoor

Hey Tierson, can't wait to see your new crane! I haven't used the Rig & Roll with the 1750 yet...but maybe soon. (sorry i didn't see all these replies on this post) I've had the 1750 in 7 out of about 20 driveways so far & haven't had any cracks at all! Xman, the load chart you posted was for the"L" version, but mine picks twice the weight at 100 foot radius as the "L" model. Mine will be getting extra manuals on the end of the jib to get about 130 foot radius but will only be good for about 1000 lbs. It will have to be load tested when the extensions get here. So far the load testing has the crane running 10 percent over max before any alarms go off (it can do this because of the X-style out riggers

Attachments

MikePoor

This crane came with a digital wireless load cell unit. It consists of a special hook (that some kind of antenae sticking out of it) and a small read out box that velcros on to the side of the remote (hardly something that will stick on during tree climbing) So i haven't used it yet but plan to (i'll try to get ya' some photos) With the kind of wght the 1750 throws around i don't have to calculate on some picks (as long as you know you're well under chart)

Attachments

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom