‘Keeper’ lanyard adjuster

Burrapeg

. . . If I was going to design a Gecko Toes for a harness belt I'd make the legs or extensions shorter, doesn't need to hold so much per "arm" and the projection distance out from my belt would bother me squeezing through the tight spaces, I think. . .
It does stick out a bit, AJ, but not really much further than other stuff often hanging off our saddles, (like my water bottle, CariTool, etc). In fact the old way of double daisying my big lanyard was equally bulky and obstructive. The thing is, the toes are long enough to be flexible so they bend and allow one to insert or remove the coils but spring back to grip them. If we shorten the toes, they would not flex and release nearly as well. This abillity to grip the coils and keep them secure til needed is one of the secrets of the gadget. I suppose if a Gecko was made of a softer and more flexible material, the toes could be shortened to hold just one wrap? But as it is, each toe holds exactly two wraps of rope which is cool. Depending on the diameter of the coils, a Gecko can soak up a lot of rope; and I also found it works fairly well, if I organize the wraps a certain way, for the lanyard to still be used double ended. I screwed this Gecko permanently to the side of the saddle so a design challenge would be to make the entire rig quickly removable to suit individual climbs, like you mentioned about squeezing thru tight spots in certain types of trees, or for when you might want to quickly swap it and its lanyard to a different saddle or climber. (Those of you who are not addicted tinkerers are so fortunate. This kind of pondering keeps me awake half the night starring at the ceiling!)

climbstihl

It does stick out a bit, AJ, but not really much further than other stuff often hanging off our saddles, (like my water bottle, CariTool, etc). In fact the old way of double daisying my big lanyard was equally bulky and obstructive. The thing is, the toes are long enough to be flexible so they bend and allow one to insert or remove the coils but spring back to grip them. If we shorten the toes, they would not flex and release nearly as well. This abillity to grip the coils and keep them secure til needed is one of the secrets of the gadget. I suppose if a Gecko was made of a softer and more flexible material, the toes could be shortened to hold just one wrap? But as it is, each toe holds exactly two wraps of rope which is cool. Depending on the diameter of the coils, a Gecko can soak up a lot of rope; and I also found it works fairly well, if I organize the wraps a certain way, for the lanyard to still be used double ended. I screwed this Gecko permanently to the side of the saddle so a design challenge would be to make the entire rig quickly removable to suit individual climbs, like you mentioned about squeezing thru tight spots in certain types of trees, or for when you might want to quickly swap it and its lanyard to a different saddle or climber. (Those of you who are not addicted tinkerers are so fortunate. This kind of pondering keeps me awake half the night starring at the ceiling!)
It looks like it should be fairly easy to screw or epoxy something like an Alice or Malice clip to the back of the gecko, that would attach well to caritool slots.

Bart_

Sorry for asking hard questions, but, has anyone checked how the gecko plastic ages in sun, changes spring/doesn't crack from hot summer to freezing and has anyone gummed one up in a conifer? The most awesome cordage and mech systems turn Jeckyl/Hyde with some sap goodness added. I especially like how everything can get sticky and lock just as you're finishing slowing your progress to molasses just when you're getting tired.

As to the lanyard pulley gizmo I find loops more troublesome than pure dangle. Isn't lanyard dangle just like trailing a climb line? I suspect it may be a victim of sap. Just some thoughts.

Moss, for a handful of $k's you too can join the machine shop-ish fraternity. Less than 10k, maybe even less than 5k.

all the best

Bart_

Rope, what about conifer sap issues, do the clamp faces get gummed up? My guess is that the rope is far gone before the gt loses its function. How many, how far down do your loops hang? Above your ankles I assume to avoid stepping into them, how far above depending how much knee bending is typical, like stepping up onto a union.

Tr33Climb3r

Chris is a great guy. I have talked to him on a couple of occasions and met with him at TCIA. I'm personally excited for the keeper. I run loops on my longer lanyard. It bugs me when my loops get all out of order. Having the ability to equalize all my loops but also use an entire lanyard in one smooth motion will be great.

jmcscrap

Rope, what about conifer sap issues, do the clamp faces get gummed up? My guess is that the rope is far gone before the gt loses its function. How many, how far down do your loops hang? Above your ankles I assume to avoid stepping into them, how far above depending how much knee bending is typical, like stepping up onto a union.
I will second Rope - this may be the only piece of gear that I can say I have never had an issue with and functions like the day I put it on the saddle.

I've run 12'-20' lanyards with max dangle to about my ankles - I have 3 "toes" that hold everything in place just fine.

Do the loops get caught on stuff? occasionally, but for me I love what it does.

Greg_L

I run loops on my longer lanyard. It bugs me when my loops get all out of order. Having the ability to equalize all my loops but also use an entire lanyard in one smooth motion will be great.
This is what I'm most excited about...I prefer loops to daisy-chaining or ditty-bagging, but they're slow to reposition after I've used a lot, to the point where I've lately been choking my lanyard and using it in a single-line config. recently in situations where it wasn't necessary just so I wouldn't have to pay out a lot of line. The keeper's instant stow-ability sold me.

Burrapeg

Picked up one of these at the state fair - shortened to about 3" - does the job of looping 20' of lanyard no problem. . .
I bought one of these on eBay after I saw this post, cut it in half, and mounted it to my saddle. Works great and lots quicker than daisy chaining! Here is a short youTube of me removing and replacing about 18 feet of my long double lanyard, just to show its use:

Last edited:

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
It seems to be a solution looking for a problem, and in the end the solution is causing problems that didn't exist before the solution?

Create it and make them feel like they can't live without it. There seems to be way too much of this going on in this gear obsessed industry, me thinks.
Chris is a great guy. I have talked to him on a couple of occasions and met with him at TCIA. I'm personally excited for the keeper. I run loops on my longer lanyard. It bugs me when my loops get all out of order. Having the ability to equalize all my loops but also use an entire lanyard in one smooth motion will be great.
I know Chris personally. He is top notch. Will I use the keeper. No. I like 10 to 13 feet lanyards. I loop the 13 feet between my two wiregate vaults. Just hangs without snagging. Not a loop fan. But this works mint. Prefer 10ft. But seem to be getting 13 foot CE lanyards at a couple of comps....lol.....love me sirius anyfuck rope. I root for Chris though. He is one cool fuck.

Greg_L

Well, my keeper arrived today in the mail. Let's get right to it:

PROS:
1) It does what it said it would. Quite well, actually. It's well constructed, and operates smoothly after you get the hang of it, which didn't take long. It's quite secure on the harness.
2) The K-Clip (see two posts above this one) that the maker showed online not long ago was actually INCLUDED with my keeper, without charge, and without warning. Very kind.
3) Without any extra clips or management tools, I've got 18' of Marliw Vega hanging at or above my knees, which is where I draw the line...any lower and it's a trip/tangle hazard.

CONS:
1) It'll run best with the more flexible end of ropes. I've loved Vega for my lanyard for quite awhile, but it fights the keeper a little due to its stiffness, even when well broken in. It's not bad, but I see the videos using other ropes and it clearly works better, so I'm probably due for a new lanyard rope.
2) It needs some free real estate on your harness. I gave up an old caritool spot and cut off a gear loop to give it enough space...if the rope is rubbing on stationary stuff (like a 1st aid pack at mid back) it'll make it hard to pull. Remember, you're FIGHTING, rather than utilizing, a 4-to-1 mechanical advantage to stow your lanyard, so extra friction will not help the situation.

All in all, I'm pleased. Like any new thing, it'll take some dialing in, but I definitely see it becoming a time saver in the right hands. Apologies for the photo quality. image.jpeg

Greg_L

I think that's likely with any rope, though it'll be minimal except for snags. Just the nature of the beast.

Winchman

That's certainly a novel idea that appears to be well executed. I expect it will sell well, but for me it's TMS (too much stuff). My 15' lanyard is much simpler but very versatile.
IMG_3378 (2)_LI.jpg
The screw link stays connected to the ring on my harness. The carabiners are hooked to a parking loop on the shoulder of my chest harness when not in use. One end of the prussik and one of the carabiners are marked to keep from twisting the prussik loop. The midpoint of the lanyard is marked to keep the two ends of the lanyard the same length (just above the ankle) for walking around. I can hook a carabiner to the harness ring for a short loop or around a limb or the trunk as a choker with a longer single line. I can also use both ends of the lanyard to work my way from limb to limb.

At some point I may buy a piece of rope and a prussik loop with sewn tight eyes to clean it up.

Bob Bob

I bought one of these on eBay after I saw this post, cut it in half, and mounted it to my saddle. Works great and lots quicker than daisy chaining! Here is a short youTube of me removing and replacing about 18 feet of my long double lanyard, just to show its use:

Sweet! Do you have a link to the ebay listing?

Edit: Is this it? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Geckos-Toes-Lectric-Gecko-Extension-Power-Cord-Rack/232189166795?epid=1003990987&hash=item360f8d84cb:g:7yAAAOSw5cNYZD4y