Vehicle gear transport pic thread

27RMT0N

Thanks for all the positivity everyone, glad people like the setup. I don't want to derail this thread and make it all about me, but I'll say a few more things, because I would have loved to have had this info when I was trying to figure it all out.

When I was starting the business on my own, my old boss mentioned a setup like this a friend of his had. All I had to go by was "he made a plywood box with this "tarp system" for unloading chips, and tool boxes on the sides'. Searched a bunch of tree forums for images/discussions, but didn't find anything like what I wanted to build. From there I just figured it out on my own, building it onto the back of the truck as I was in my first ever months of being self employed, working and driving around with it in various stages which was kind of amusing.

And because I think it is important to mention for material longevity: all sides/ends/faces/whatever, of every piece of wood (that wasn't pressure treated) was primed and given two good coats of paint before being put together, so there is no unsealed wood for water to get in and start it rotting. Then there is the calking in all the seams, so no chips/dust/etc can go between the chip box and tool boxes, and no air or water can enter the tool boxes, other than a very small gap around the doors. That provides a tiny bit of air exchange, but keeps everything totally dry and out of the elements.

I'm not a skilled builder by any means, but I can cut plywood and 2x", so that's what I did. The chip box is pressure treated plywood on the bottom (since that will never really air out), 3/4" the rest of the way around, pressure treated 4x4s on all 6 uprights and framed basically like a wall. The inside of the tunnel is totally smooth, which is critical for chips sliding out easily. The tool boxes are essentially separate units built onto the sides of the chip box with some 2x4, some 2x2 and 5/8" plywood, and sits on the bedsides with a bit of rubber between. It's just wood, fasteners and paint, all from Home Depot.

Here are some 'in progress' pictures if anyone wants to see more of how it is put together:

0 Truck Tool Box 10.jpg

0 Truck Tool Box 11.jpg

0 Truck Tool Box 12.jpg

There was a guy on the forums like 15 years ago named “ Tree Machine” that had almost that same setup but older truck. Are you him @27RMT0N ?
Doesn’t matter really, just curious.
Very cool setup :)
Nope, wasn't me, I'm far too young for that ;)

Last edited:

96coal449

I don't want to derail this thread and make it all about me
Not derailed or made all about you at all. You have shared a great operational system.
It works! Built on a budget to boot!

I'm sure someone will copy this setup down the road.

This is why I created this thread. To see what some have done for their gear solutions. Especially on the daily load out.

96coal449

One day I'll get a bedslide.
I forgot to add this in yesterday.

I have a mid 90s one ton reg cab pickup with an 8' box. I would like to make this my dedicated chase truck. Tow vehicle, with a Cummins conversion and 6spd manual. Fuel transfer tank behind the cab. I have a 105gal L style designed to go under and forwards of a regular cross bed tool box. Instead of the conventional tool box, I'd like to custom build a slide out tool box that takes up the remainder of the bed space. Slightly taller then the bed walls and with a rear door, and side doors. Aluminum would be my choice of material, including the slide system.
Gotta keep the weight down for 105gals of fuel and all that gear capacity.

AdkEric

I forgot to add this in yesterday.

I have a mid 90s one ton reg cab pickup with an 8' box. I would like to make this my dedicated chase truck. Tow vehicle, with a Cummins conversion and 6spd manual. Fuel transfer tank behind the cab. I have a 105gal L style designed to go under and forwards of a regular cross bed tool box. Instead of the conventional tool box, I'd like to custom build a slide out tool box that takes up the remainder of the bed space. Slightly taller then the bed walls and with a rear door, and side doors. Aluminum would be my choice of material, including the slide system.
Gotta keep the weight down for 105gals of fuel and all that gear capacity.
That would be the bees knees for a gear hauling pickup truck, I'd think.

Jehinten

Still making a few changes here and there before painting but here is how I've been hauling my gear. F350 with a 12x8 flatbed. I built an 8x8 toolbox 16" high to hold all of my rigging & climbing gear, ropes and saws. Along with work signs, poles saws and any other gear needed. On top of the box rides a debris tub, clamshells, BMG rake and occasionally a hydraulic winch for the mini. The mini skid parks in the 4 foot space in front of the box and plywood sheeting goes between the mini and the cab.

This box is made of 3/4 plywood and 2x4 and 2x2, all pressure treated and is removable by pulling the stakes from the pockets and lifting the box from a limb with a rigging rope and mini. Of course I empty the toolbox before removal from the truck. 20200806_080714.jpg 20200806_080308.jpg

96coal449

Still making a few changes here and there before painting but here is how I've been hauling my gear. F350 with a 12x8 flatbed. I built an 8x8 toolbox 16" high to hold all of my rigging & climbing gear, ropes and saws. Along with work signs, poles saws and any other gear needed. On top of the box rides a debris tub, clamshells, BMG rake and occasionally a hydraulic winch for the mini. The mini skid parks in the 4 foot space in front of the box and plywood sheeting goes between the mini and the cab.

This box is made of 3/4 plywood and 2x4 and 2x2, all pressure treated and is removable by pulling the stakes from the pockets and lifting the box from a limb with a rigging rope and mini. Of course I empty the toolbox before removal from the truck. View attachment 69706 View attachment 69707
That's an awesome daily load out. Another member thinking outside the box with home ingenuity.

Well done.

96coal449

Hey Tom, let's do something different with this and create a contest for "Best daily load outs. Ready to handle most."

Truck names included for nominations and hold a poll.

Just a thought for a something different and a little fun.

What do you say? ......could be interesting.

Jonny

To take advantage of a little more usable space, get a small weatherproof toolbox, bolt it to the top of a chipper or trailer fender, and bolt a small vise to the top of the toolbox. Box is handy for files, screnches, spare chains or whatever else, and depending what size box you stick on there, the vise may be at a comfy height for sharpening saws.
My chains are so much sharper if I use a vise.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom