Today....

rico

Been here a while
Did some faller training with Matt and Kaitlyn this week in Oregon and California. Was a lot of fun and got to see some beautiful sights.

The fire damaged though....devastating. Ureal.

View attachment 76215
Sadly its looking like rural life in much of California may no longer be sustainable...One of the most beautiful places on Mother Earth is burning to the ground..

27RMT0N

Carpal tunnel level member
Put a few more hours on the new 500i the other day and am quite happy with it. Felling and limbing some 80-90' dead firs, squeezing them through a tight canopy and limbing. It is certainly lighter, snappier on the throttle and feels more maneuverable than the dinosaur 046 it is replacing (though that has been a great saw for me in the decade I've owned it). That third stump had bark up to 6" thick on some sides, kinda like an old growth though it wasn't one.

0 500i 01.jpg

0 500i 02.jpg

0 500i 03.jpg

0 500i 04.jpg

Wrangler

Participating member
Put a few more hours on the new 500i the other day and am quite happy with it. Felling and limbing some 80-90' dead firs, squeezing them through a tight canopy and limbing. It is certainly lighter, snappier on the throttle and feels more maneuverable than the dinosaur 046 it is replacing (though that has been a great saw for me in the decade I've owned it). That third stump had bark up to 6" thick on some sides, kinda like an old growth though it wasn't one.

View attachment 76229

View attachment 76230

View attachment 76231

View attachment 76233
Those bigger Stihl saws are hard to kill, I never got 10 yrs out of one but I’ve had a few that I worked like rented mules for 6 or 7 yrs

27RMT0N

Carpal tunnel level member
Those bigger Stihl saws are hard to kill, I never got 10 yrs out of one but I’ve had a few that I worked like rented mules for 6 or 7 yrs

A quick google tells me the 046 originally came out in 1995. So while I don't know exactly when mine was built, it was an 'old' saw already when I bought it. Picked it up for $375 off craigslist, from a guy in a parking lot along the freeway. He said "lets make a bunch of hippies nervous!" and revved the saw a bunch of times. I was young and ignorant at the time, but turned out the saw was pretty hammered, requiring a few hundred in a rebuild after a year of ownership. That said, it's needed almost nothing but basic maintenance since then and I'm not getting rid of it anytime soon.

Jonny

Been here a while
Pretty cool!
Something the power company uses along the transmission lines?

Kinda neat seeing the big tracked bucket trucks driving around some of the atv trails here. Haven’t seen them chip shit, but they’re nice enough to toss the brush off the trails.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo
Top Bottom