Today....

Mark Chisholm

Administrator
Administrator
IMG_20210414_091540_525.jpg

7 years ago today I took this pro-wretler dude climbing for the first time in this giant. Gerald Beranek set it up for me (such a legend). The guy pictured is Eric Young (current world champion again) and he did a great job. Did everything we asked of him and was a fun dude to do the TV show with as well. Robert Phillips of Santa Rosa helped along with my buddy Brian Noyes. Love these trees.

rico

How'd the house removal go? Was it a long process?
Nope.. This tree went through an extremely hot crown fire so we had no idea just how compromised it was up top...The only way of finding that out was to climb it, which was something I was not gonna allow anyone, including myself, to do. Fuck being a hero.

We did have one very small widow to fall this tree in, and of coarse it had a hard back lean in the opposite direction... I managed to get a good tagline set from the ground, but was worried about pulling too hard on that burnt top, so in coordination with a tree jack and some wedges we patiently pushed and pulled it over. Nailed our lay, cleaned it up, got payed, and got the hell out of that depressing burnt up moonscape ASAP. At the local coffee shop sipping cortados and eating gluten free pumpkin bread by noon.... A short but sweet day.

Last edited:

rico

View attachment 75078

7 years ago today I took this pro-wretler dude climbing for the first time in this giant. Gerald Beranek set it up for me (such a legend). The guy pictured is Eric Young (current world champion again) and he did a great job. Did everything we asked of him and was a fun dude to do the TV show with as well. Robert Phillips of Santa Rosa helped along with my buddy Brian Noyes. Love these trees.
Eric is one thick and powerful looking man....

Hanging with Mr. B, a world champion wrestler, and an old growth Red sounds like a very good time....Your a lucky man Mark..

Last edited:

oldoakman

Nope.. This tree went through an extremely hot crown fire so we had no idea just how compromised it was up top...The only way of finding that out was to climb it, which was something I was not gonna allow anyone, including myself, to do. Fuck being a hero.

We did have one very small widow to fall this tree in, and of coarse it had a hard back lean in the opposite direction... I managed to get a good tagline set from the ground, but was worried about pulling too hard on that burnt top, so in coordination with a tree jack and some wedges we patiently pushed and pulled it over. Nailed our lay, cleaned it up, got payed, and got the hell out of that depressing burnt up moonscape ASAP. At the local coffee shop sipping cortados and eating gluten free pumpkin bread by noon.... A short but sweet day.
View attachment 75078

Some day...

27RMT0N

Sweet!! That Omni-Block looks like a really handy tool. I hope to see some reports of the creative ways you use it.

Yah, I've had one for many years spliced onto a Loopie, probably my favorite light-rigging tool, and finally decided to buy a second one. I had a job recently with a topped fir over a house, with massive limb growth as a result. One to be near the trunk and sending the line towards the port-a-wrap, one to be at the part of the limb where I was making the reduction. I've used other systems for years (one omni + other pully/redirect) that were 'good enough' but finally spent a few bucks on the second onmi-block/sling just to be a little better.

DSCN8745 (Custom).JPG

DSCN8761 (Custom).JPG

DSCN8757 (Custom).JPG

DSCN8762 (Custom).JPG

27RMT0N

The aluminum Geckos were a no go?

I think I'm too used to the Big Buck wrap pads I've used for years on my steel Buckinghams. The Geckos were amazing in terms of being lightweight, but just didn't feel quite right to me on the upper pads in particular.

27RMT0N

Multi-posting, I know. Been a super busy 1-2 weeks, struggling to keep up with the workload.

Spring out here is amazing and I love seeing the big leaf maples come alive, the wild orchids bloom and the birds arrive for the good weather. Here are a few recent photos:

DSCN8835 (Custom).JPG

00000 orchid season.jpg

00 humming bird return.jpg

DSCN8891 (Custom).JPG

DSCN8916 (Custom).JPG

DSCN8946 (cust).JPG

DSCN8982 (Custom).JPG

DSCN9016 (Custom).JPG

DSCN9035 (Custom).JPG

DSCN9059 (Custom).JPG

Last edited:

southsoundtree

Yes. Occasionally.
She rocked the ground on this job.

I have her second GRCS job lined up. Removal.
Leans toward the house.
Compression damage from the treehouse and inclusions ( one trunk is hollow with a cavity). History of large pruning wounds on a poor compartmentalizer.

20210402_140146.jpg
20210402_140142.jpg

rico

Taking some small tops on twisty pine solo job. Get home and the daughter is out dragging brush! View attachment 75187 View attachment 75188
Every time I see your work pics it makes me want to load up all my lumber, get the hell out of NorCal, and head for Maine....What are you paying your groundies Serf? I might need a job if/when I get there....

Serf Life

I kept coming back to Maine and my hometown as it’s just so damn nice even if our trees are the size of the tops y’all take. Something about it and the people, feel blessed to have grown up here with my community. Currently paying contract climber rates regardless of if it is groundie or climbing. With a mini and 15” the ground work is getting pretty cush, maybe bring your mill too? And grapple skidder, thing looks the tits.

Reach

Every time I see your work pics it makes me want to load up all my lumber, get the hell out of NorCal, and head for Maine....What are you paying your groundies Serf? I might need a job if/when I get there....
Maine is some beautiful country, to be sure. Northern Maine is one of the few places I would consider moving to if I ever leave PA.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom