The latest Matt Cornell harness

Mowerr

Or maybe the free hang position I complain of above is the biggest weakness of this harness? If so, then I'll stop obsessing over that so much.
Most people I read and pics I see, guys have their hip Dee's behind the webbing... Is that what most people are doing? I can't tell much of a difference yet ... Both spots feel similar but I'll need more time to develop a preference on that.

Steve Connally

on the MCRS hip d behind the webbing. On the Valiant in front. Leg pads ride about 3" above knee when unloaded and when the bridge gets loaded from the standing position they snug rite up in the exact spot I need them. Not too close to my but but closer than to the knee. I've always felt super comfy on the crane hook. You need to adjust it so in suspension on the bridge you can sit comfortably on the saddle and not get rocked into the rope and not have to hold on to the rope to prevent leaning way back. Perfect Balance just like you adjust the balance point on the TM.

Mowerr

on the MCRS hip d behind the webbing. On the Valiant in front. Leg pads ride about 3" above knee when unloaded and when the bridge gets loaded from the standing position they snug rite up in the exact spot I need them. Not too close to my but but closer than to the knee. I've always felt super comfy on the crane hook. You need to adjust it so in suspension on the bridge you can sit comfortably on the saddle and not get rocked into the rope and not have to hold on to the rope to prevent leaning way back. Perfect Balance just like you adjust the balance point on the TM.
How long are your risers? The length of rope from hip d to lower d?
For me when I gotta free hang like on the crane hook I'll just shorten the riser on my TM a bit more than usual.
With the valiant it doesn't seem to make as much of a difference when I shorten the riser like that. Maybe pictures are just hard to scale but it looks like most people use a longer riser. I'm gonna look at more of Steve's pictures bc I know he's using a crane a lot.

Steve Connally

How long are your risers? The length of rope from hip d to lower d?
For me when I gotta free hang like on the crane hook I'll just shorten the riser on my TM a bit more than usual.
With the valiant it doesn't seem to make as much of a difference when I shorten the riser like that. Maybe pictures are just hard to scale but it looks like most people use a longer riser. I'm gonna look at more of Steve's pictures bc I know he's using a crane a lot.
Honestly they are shorter than I like but still perfect balance. I’d say they are maybe 6” at best

oldoakman

I blew a rivet on my last webbing loop. Can happen.
Photos of the repair. The cap screw and washer on the
I blew a rivet on my last webbing loop. Can happen.
Photos of my repair. Cap screw and washer on inside pad are stainless. Nut on outside obviously is not. Used quick set JB weld to lock cap screw. Third photo is the nut, dont know exactly what they are called.

Attachments

Mowerr

Honestly they are shorter than I like but still perfect balance. I’d say they are maybe 6” at best
So I shortened mine up a lot and it feels much better, much more balanced. I'm 5'9". How tall are you? Mine are like 2-3 inches long...give or take. I'm getting pretty close to perfect though. I feel like I wanna push the back pad down when I go to a free hang position then pull it up a little when I load my hip or lower D's. Do you find yourself doing that ever?

Steve Connally

so i'm 6'1 but my doctor said im a shrinking old man so that may not be my exact height. None the less its the height I identify with. Yeah when I start the day my saddle is tight and at some point it's broken in from being in the bag so I have a mid morning tighten the belt routine. That generally solves my issue. I'f i'm gonna hang I really try to use the suspension d's. That keeps the riding up feeling to a minimum. My d's are just fine for me after the morning belt tighten.
It's like leather shoes that got wet then dried. They're always tight for a little while. then loosen out.

Mowerr

so i'm 6'1 but my doctor said im a shrinking old man so that may not be my exact height. None the less its the height I identify with. Yeah when I start the day my saddle is tight and at some point it's broken in from being in the bag so I have a mid morning tighten the belt routine. That generally solves my issue. I'f i'm gonna hang I really try to use the suspension d's. That keeps the riding up feeling to a minimum. My d's are just fine for me after the morning belt tighten.
It's like leather shoes that got wet then dried. They're always tight for a little while. then loosen out.
[/I get what you say about the leather and stuff but when you say you usually tighten up the harness.... Do you mean you tighten the ropes or just tighten up the belt by one grommet hole for example?

Brocky

I've seen this post a CPL times but just realized you got a TM that looks in pretty good condition... I've never seen nor heard of you climbing in it????
I got it last fall on Treebay, 9 years old but looks like brand new. The seller and myself thought it was the TM, but eventually it dawned on me the red ring in back means it’s a Light. A couple of scruff marks and some saw dust in the pads are the only signs it’s not new. It fits great but I don’t like a bridge, puts things too far away for me, will probably put it back up for sale.

Steve Connally

Can I please see a better pic of how you strung up your valiant with those dmm bat paw rig plates? I Think I'm gonna order a set of rig plates and I'm interested in how people are doing it and the way you did it kinda reminds me of how they are on the Buckingham ergovation....
I’ll try to remember but it’s strung exactly how the MCRS was strung. Just goes through the bat plate instead of a ring

Mowerr

I’ll try to remember but it’s strung exactly how the MCRS was strung. Just goes through the bat plate instead of a ring
It looks like your running your riser and leg loop through the big hole on the rigging plate?
Or do you run them through separate small holes like Rico did in his pics?

Mowerr

I got it last fall on Treebay, 9 years old but looks like brand new. The seller and myself thought it was the TM, but eventually it dawned on me the red ring in back means it’s a Light. A couple of scruff marks and some saw dust in the pads are the only signs it’s not new. It fits great but I don’t like a bridge, puts things too far away for me, will probably put it back up for sale.
Me too, I don't like long bridges. Just tie it up shorter. I usually run mine 13-14 inches long, if that.

Njdelaney

[QUOTE=" Third photo is the nut, dont know exactly what they are called.
[/QUOTE]

These are commonly referred to as T nuts and you can get them in stainless. Hillman makes them and I bet Fastenal does too. Most good hardware stores who stock either brand should be able to special order them in SS if they don't stock them. Come to think of it, Hillman used to make those exact copper rivets too. I used to use them for repairing dog collars. You can find them on Amazon too. That looks like 1/4 - 20 you used on your repair?

Last edited:

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom