The latest Matt Cornell harness

fastbub

Is there a way to tell which size MCRS you have? I have a used one. My waist is 30 and I am on the second to last hole on the belt. Wondering if there is a smaller size or if this IS the small size. It is comfortable so I am not too worried about it. Just curious how you can tell the size differences.

Jonny

What he said. Mines a size 2, I’m a 34” maybe 33” waist and that one fits on the 2nd to last hole.

I’m floored by how lightweight it is. I’ve only ever seen pics of them before this week, but saw real leather and a little steel hardware and steel buckle with grommets, so I just assumed it was a little on the heavier side. I’m pretty sure the 3 main components together are under 4 pounds.
Weight of a saddle was never crazy important to me, but still this is surprisingly lightweight.
I’m going nuts waiting for my cordage to get delivered, I wanna build it dammit. I might turn totally psycho and reconfigure this thing every other week until I find my personal perfection.

DavidRicks

I was able to splice the components for my first rendition of the rope saddle using the Valiant pads. Thanks too @rico for showing the different variations of how to tie it up, I went with his recent version of splicing to the hip rings and going from there. This has been and will continue to be an exciting project as I continue to tinker adding and removing components. I work everyday in the original MCRS and I'm looking forward to bringing this one out to change things up a bit.

Rope: 10mm Samson XLS3 Navy Colorway

Attachments

Jonny

Beauty. The splices look clean, and I’ll bet you’re the only one on the block with a DMM hub holding it together :)
I’m such a cheap bastard lol my pricey bomber ass rigging gear gets used for rigging, but that does look tidy and you got a couple sturdy spots for heavy gear storage or suspenders or whatever.

DavidRicks

Beauty. The splices look clean, and I’ll bet you’re the only one on the block with a DMM hub holding it together :)
I’m such a cheap bastard lol my pricey bomber ass rigging gear gets used for rigging, but that does look tidy and you got a couple sturdy spots for heavy gear storage or suspenders or whatever.
Lol, I figured someone would give me shit about the rigging hub on the back... I figure if I need to I can just untie it in the tree and use it for some controlled speed lining or something ;). Compliments on the splicing very much appreciated. As Rico said previously, that Samson rope is super straightforward to splice.

rico

I was able to splice the components for my first rendition of the rope saddle using the Valiant pads. Thanks too @rico for showing the different variations of how to tie it up, I went with his recent version of splicing to the hip rings and going from there. This has been and will continue to be an exciting project as I continue to tinker adding and removing components. I work everyday in the original MCRS and I'm looking forward to bringing this one out to change things up a bit.

Rope: 10mm Samson XLS3 Navy Colorway
Looks beautiful David...Love to hear your thoughts on the Valiant compared to the MCRS....

Steve Connally

Looks tight. Hate to burst the bubble but there's at least 1 other with that hub on the back. Do you feel it at all on your back? I know on my mcrs if the knots weren't tied with a specific orientation you could feel them through the pads in your back. I have my med kit in the middle of my back and I can feel it. I like it because it's like the extra lumbar pad the ergovation had. Feels like a little back pillow pressing on my lower spine. I wish I could splice because I want to change mine already. Its perfect like it is but can be perfecter! Jonny has my original MCRS pads. Those fuckers are way beyond broken in. It has several years of my sweat in that leather and I hope it serves you well!!

DavidRicks

Looks tight. Hate to burst the bubble but there's at least 1 other with that hub on the back. Do you feel it at all on your back? I know on my mcrs if the knots weren't tied with a specific orientation you could feel them through the pads in your back. I have my med kit in the middle of my back and I can feel it. I like it because it's like the extra lumbar pad the ergovation had. Feels like a little back pillow pressing on my lower spine. I wish I could splice because I want to change mine already. Its perfect like it is but can be perfecter! Jonny has my original MCRS pads. Those fuckers are way beyond broken in. It has several years of my sweat in that leather and I hope it serves you well!!
I've only done a few short climbs on it as I finished splicing it up today, so I'll have to report back on the rigging plate protruding into the back pad. That said I chose the plate in an attempt to get more support so I'm hoping that I can feel it a little bit. I too have a med pack on my MCRS and like that it provides a little extra support like you mentioned.

@rico I was surprised that the smaller back pad felt just a supportive as the MCRS pad that is a little bit larger. Both my valiant and MCRS saddles are size two. I'm looking forward to getting more climbing and on the valiant as it feels just as comfortable while being a little different - not in any bad way.

rico

I've only done a few short climbs on it as I finished splicing it up today, so I'll have to report back on the rigging plate protruding into the back pad. That said I chose the plate in an attempt to get more support so I'm hoping that I can feel it a little bit. I too have a med pack on my MCRS and like that it provides a little extra support like you mentioned.

@rico I was surprised that the smaller back pad felt just a supportive as the MCRS pad that is a little bit larger. Both my valiant and MCRS saddles are size two. I'm looking forward to getting more climbing and on the valiant as it feels just as comfortable while being a little different - not in any bad way.
I find the MCRS supportive in the same way the TreeMo S.light is supportive. With the similar pad shapes, the conveyer belt material, and the thinner padding the TreeMo S.light and the MCRS are very similar in how they hug my hips....
The Valiant pads have more of an old school shape so it sits on the hips more similar to an old school saddle. When combined with the all leather construction and the more robust padding it offers a super supportive and comfy ride..It will be interesting to see what the Valiant feels like after a year or 2 of hard work under its belt...

Last edited:

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom