Sticht Hitch

Brocky

Another idea for where to place the stopper knot after trying various places at the bottom of the hitch, was to put the knot up in the wraps. The girth hitch on the carabiner is nice and it is easier to adjust the amount of slack in the wraps.
E3EFA1BE-D862-4F6E-96C0-180E4C6252D2.jpeg

seedy j

I love seeing all these variations. At first it made me think of an f8, but moving the bend in the rope in-between the hitch and the biner, but I realize it's quite different. This is my take on it. I wish the quickie was wider so I could use a larger diameter cord.

Attachments

• IMG_20201223_164938.jpg
    IMG_20201223_164938.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20201223_164931.jpg
    IMG_20201223_164931.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20201223_164922.jpg
    IMG_20201223_164922.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 89

Brocky

I think I tried something similar along the way, there isn’t anything to stop the movement of the slack from the wraps to the legs/eyes. Just trying it again, I could see the leg lengths ratcheting longer with each loading and unloading. Plus a lot of friction when trying to slide it.

With the “regular” Sticht, a small diameter cord can be adjusted to work easily by the front ring placement.

Keep experimenting,
The Grinch

Cereal_Killer

Experimenting with this finally, want to run it on my hook line this year. Not ready for work yet but it's fun to play with. @Brocky have any specific cord recommendations or other pointers for use on the 10mm reep? Also tried HRC and 8mm OP and they both locked up right away in this config. Don't have a thimble so I thought maybe trying this way would eleminate the need, of course if I've gotta order different cord from somewhere I may as well get a little thimble or other HW for the standard config too...
20201228_122458.jpg 20201228_122530.jpg

Brocky

The hitch cords you have and Notch Wrapstar are good, the Viper is a little more bumpy.
You also have all that is needed for the basic Sticht, the twist and the ring are needed to add friction and stop the slack migration. A short strap can be used to make tending easier.
FF33C1EC-D4A5-4A08-9DEB-86DDE957F591.jpeg

Cereal_Killer

Ok stupid question, would you climb for real on the single overhand stopper or is that just for pictures and ground testing? I like the idea better than tying eyes every time you redo it since the eyes don't pass through the small ring.

Brocky

For picture only, not stupid, I should have made it legit. I do just tie one first, test, then tie another if okay.

snunyabizness

came across your stitch hitch concept @Brocky while researching ways to back up a rescue 8 with a prusik.. in order to learn twin rope technique (TRT) on the 11.7mm ropes and gear I already own and use. I don't feel confident on 8mm rope really. This hitch is a true gem. Thank you for sharing your innovation with the community

Attachments

• 990D9AE0-91A1-4DFC-8A14-04E0F098228A.jpeg
    990D9AE0-91A1-4DFC-8A14-04E0F098228A.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 55

JFin15

came across your stitch hitch concept @Brocky while researching ways to back up a rescue 8 with a prusik.. in order to learn twin rope technique (TRT) on the 11.7mm ropes and gear I already own and use. I don't feel confident on 8mm rope really. This hitch is a true gem. Thank you for sharing your innovation with the community
I dont have a photo of it right now but I've been using a 21" 7mm coppa e2e on 8mm oplux (srt). Works like a charm. Oplux has a mbs of over 24Kn. I do prefer 11mm for climbs over 40ft or so. I also rappell on a rescue 8 on it when climbing with spurs. With an autoblock of course

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thornsberry

I have been scouring the forum's for this specific hitch configuration. I was looking, and Brock in your opinion what is the most compact, and functional spliced eye ring configuration in your opinion thus far. Or do you think it's better to go without the splices or sewn eyes

Brocky

If the splices are flexible enough to have only the eyes coming through the ring at the end would be the most compact, no stopper knot sticking out. Being able to splice your own is an advantage to get the perfect lengths.

dspacio

here to bump the sticht hitch. been using it on the long end of my lanyard for a couple months, its been very reliable and tends better than i expected.
i havent done a lot of "quick single line choke" with it cuz its not my habit. but it does seem to handle even extreme bites.
thanks for this creation @Brocky !

Attachments

• 20210502_130117.jpg
    20210502_130117.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 41

Brocky

Using 10mm cord it would probably need to have an i.d. of 1” or more, I’ve never used cord that large. The round plastic thimbles will also work, but slightly more drag with the increase in surface area, maybe even 1” pcv to try it out.
The small double eye strap in post #166 pushes up on the ring compacting the wraps for almost effortless tending.

dspacio

The small double eye strap in post #166 pushes up on the ring compacting the wraps for almost effortless tending.
good ideas, thanks. I like that little strap, may fashion one up. I keep searching at the marine consignment, there are so many doodads there. the pvc could be an easy solution.

the lanyard is a full half inch. I think the 10mm is allowing it to release pretty well. probably worth switching it up to try out some others.

Skye401

Using 10mm cord it would probably need to have an i.d. of 1” or more, I’ve never used cord that large. The round plastic thimbles will also work, but slightly more drag with the increase in surface area, maybe even 1” pcv to try it out.
what is that metal ring? I saw a post where someone called it a wedding band but my wife would hang me if I even tried that haha

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts
Top Bottom