Sequoias are tall!

Treezybreez

I'd love to go caving. Never thought much about doing it inside of a tree. Are you ever going to see what lies at the bottom? Maybe a pot of gold, or king Tut's cousin?More pics please. :sorprendido3:

jcarufel

I'd love to go caving. Never thought much about doing it inside of a tree. Are you ever going to see what lies at the bottom? Maybe a pot of gold, or king Tut's cousin?More pics please. :sorprendido3:
I really want to get back out there next year and go in deeper. We will see!! I had never in a million years imagined I would be descending that far inside a tree. I had heard rumors of a room at the top of the Stagg tree but not a massive cavity like the one in the Waterfall tree.

jcarufel

These are the Redwoods right next the Eel River in Leggett California. Super awesome beach and some awesome people.

The second photo is on our way out of the Waterfall Tree. This "limb" is probably close to 10' in diameter if not more. Pretty crazy to see!
tree night.jpg jason big limb.jpg

TREEfool

Our longest rope was 600'. Teufelberger KMIII Max.
Holy crap! That is a long rope. Thank you.

I wonder if most Sequoias over 250 feet have branches as low as 100 feet? I know this is a question that is not easily answered but as I build up my knowledge base for my future adventure I am trying to find out what gear is NEEDED. I own a 200' static rope and plan to climb multipitch-style but I worry that this may be too short. I don't want an entire trip ruined because I was too cheap to purchase a longer rope. :)

fall_risk

Holy crap! That is a long rope. Thank you.

I wonder if most Sequoias over 250 feet have branches as low as 100 feet? I know this is a question that is not easily answered but as I build up my knowledge base for my future adventure I am trying to find out what gear is NEEDED. I own a 200' static rope and plan to climb multipitch-style but I worry that this may be too short. I don't want an entire trip ruined because I was too cheap to purchase a longer rope. :)
You can always sell the reel or hanks of it on treebay or Luke's floor to recover some of the investment.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

mdvaden

Thanks guys!

We just returned from the trip and it really was epic! The Sequoias were straight up adventure climbing! Massive dead wood, insanely huge limbs and trunks, huge open spaces between limbs, it was awesome! The Redwoods were cool but didn't hold the same aura about them. I will post photos as soon as we start getting everything edited as well as video.
In the OP video, was 276 closer to the height of the giant sequoia to be climbed, because the species reaches over 300 ft. presently. I followed the link, which among other stuff had a promo about Archangel, but I think they could actually propagate and spread trees faster just by using various size trees for a source. A friend did a propagation experiment once using tissue from hyperion and other various coast redwoods. Hyperion's "clones" were surpassed by the other small redwoods.

Lately the redwood in this attached photo was determined to be by a spring, and further debunks the super DNA hypothesis, which really has been more of a belief or religion anyway. Lately, coast redwood finally surpassed all known giant sequoias for girth at dbh and at ground level. And although the species are not the same, coast redwood just surpassed General Sherman's 1321 champion tree points by no less than 40 points ... although, the S. sempervirens was purposely not nominated.

This photo is a sample to represent a bunch more found between 2010 and 2016 Stretch the browser on a monitor or whatever to get a bigger view. Just ordered a 40 x 60 canvas print which should arrive next week. At chest height, you are looking at 3o ft. from right side to left side, about 3 ft. wider than any photo we've ever seen of General Sherman. The trunk continues to the left side out of the image.

GF_Ari_Cnvs_Sample.jpg