Sequoias are tall!

jcarufel

This is a little promo we made for our trip! Just for fun!

We are leaving tomorrow morning for Utah and California! We are going to be climbing some big ass trees and then cloning them. Pretty pumped to be able to get on a project like this!

Bartlett Arborist Supply, Archangel Ancient Tree Archive, At Height, Teufelberger Ropes, Rock Exotica, and Kuhl Clothing made it possible. The Seekers Of will be documenting the whole thing through photo and video.

Keep up to date about the trip at: www.bartlettman.com/savethetrees

oceans

Have fun out there, Jake. Tell young Milarch I say "Hi". I'm gunning for the next one!!! Looking forward to all the photos and videos from your trip.

jcarufel

Thanks guys!

We just returned from the trip and it really was epic! The Sequoias were straight up adventure climbing! Massive dead wood, insanely huge limbs and trunks, huge open spaces between limbs, it was awesome! The Redwoods were cool but didn't hold the same aura about them. I will post photos as soon as we start getting everything edited as well as video.

As a quick spoiler, I did descend around 30 feet into the hollowed trunk of the Waterfall tree. The hole I descended into was 200' off the ground and 6' across. I never saw the bottom of it! It was next level stuff! Never in my life did I expect to descend into the belly of a giant and ancient tree!

jcarufel

So here are two photos from the trip.

First is Wayne Ellison looking down from the mouth of the hole. I am about 30' below him at this point. As I descended into the hole, I could feel my chest getting tight and my breathing speeding up quite rapidly. I knocked on the trunk as best I could waiting for a black cloud of bats to rush past my face 200' off the ground but nothing made a peep inside. I lowered myself into the darkness and took in everything that was around me. The musky air of decaying wood, light passing over the internal branch work of the tree, sweaty palms, and the light brush of powdered wood falling from above onto my shirt and face. I descended farther and farther until the darkness completely overtook my vision. Up above all that could be seen was the bright light shooting in through the window I had just entered into the innards of this gentle giant. Our communication systems wouldn't work anymore. It was just the darkness, the tree, and myself

The second photo just barely shows the window we entered into the tree directly to the right of the climber. Again Wayne Ellison is climbing which gives an absolutely insane visual of how big these trees are. This was taken 200' off the ground as well. The trees are like old veterans of every war us as humans have ever created. Look at the dead top above Wayne, that piece of wood is larger than most climb on an average day, hell an average month! Once we ascended to the top of the access line, the only thing we could see above us were massive dead limbs that stood like gargoyles above our heads. Peering down waiting for our next move. We used a mixture of lead climbing, tree climbing, and experimental climbing to get up to this perch in the tree top. Using Mag Bags, DMM Captain Hooks, and 60' lanyards we managed to mount the top of the tree. It was a task to say the least. Even now as I write this, I daydream about how much fun it was using every bit of knowledge I had to get into the top of that tree. It challenged years of climbing experience to get to that point. Stunning!

I'll keep updating as I get things edited and uploaded. Thanks for reading!
theseekersof insta.jpg
waterfall insta.jpg

Pfanner man

So here are two photos from the trip.

First is Wayne Ellison looking down from the mouth of the hole. I am about 30' below him at this point. As I descended into the hole, I could feel my chest getting tight and my breathing speeding up quite rapidly. I knocked on the trunk as best I could waiting for a black cloud of bats to rush past my face 200' off the ground but nothing made a peep inside. I lowered myself into the darkness and took in everything that was around me. The musky air of decaying wood, light passing over the internal branch work of the tree, sweaty palms, and the light brush of powdered wood falling from above onto my shirt and face. I descended farther and farther until the darkness completely overtook my vision. Up above all that could be seen was the bright light shooting in through the window I had just entered into the innards of this gentle giant. Our communication systems wouldn't work anymore. It was just the darkness, the tree, and myself

The second photo just barely shows the window we entered into the tree directly to the right of the climber. Again Wayne Ellison is climbing which gives an absolutely insane visual of how big these trees are. This was taken 200' off the ground as well. The trees are like old veterans of every war us as humans have ever created. Look at the dead top above Wayne, that piece of wood is larger than most climb on an average day, hell an average month! Once we ascended to the top of the access line, the only thing we could see above us were massive dead limbs that stood like gargoyles above our heads. Peering down waiting for our next move. We used a mixture of lead climbing, tree climbing, and experimental climbing to get up to this perch in the tree top. Using Mag Bags, DMM Captain Hooks, and 60' lanyards we managed to mount the top of the tree. It was a task to say the least. Even now as I write this, I daydream about how much fun it was using every bit of knowledge I had to get into the top of that tree. It challenged years of climbing experience to get to that point. Stunning!

I'll keep updating as I get things edited and uploaded. Thanks for reading!
View attachment 38026
View attachment 38025
cooooooooool! so a bunch of great pics from you & your climbing colleagues on Instagram. #jealous :D

jcarufel

Here is a photo of Aaron Johns doing a nice photogenic limb walk. I am roughly 70' above Aaron in this photo. He and I were the last ones in these two twin trees and we just hung out and took our time getting fun photos and living it up! Look at how big Aaron is compared to the dead limb above him! Crazy huh?

Thanks for all the comments!

aaron limbwalk.jpg

Last edited:

TREEfool

The second photo just barely shows the window we entered into the tree directly to the right of the climber. Again Wayne Ellison is climbing which gives an absolutely insane visual of how big these trees are.
For the love of Mother Nature, that tree is incredible! The second photo does not even make sense to me. Next year I WILL climb an epic tree like this. I can't wait for the video.

JeffOpar

Jake,
I just put two and two together as to who you are. I had never heard of you guys and my wife and I were looking at your website the other night saying how awesome you guys are. Great work, well done sir!

TREEfool

Maybe I missed it because I am at work and couldn't watch the video but how did you guys set your lines? Archery? Big Shot? APTA?

JeffOpar

I used a big shot. It has me throw line spoiled. One of the first two pictures in my video is the big shot. I have gotten pretty good with it, but because of that I cant throw a throw line to save my life. Its kind of a crutch but I absolutely love it and I am ok with that.

TREEfool

I used a big shot. It has me throw line spoiled. One of the first two pictures in my video is the big shot. I have gotten pretty good with it, but because of that I cant throw a throw line to save my life. Its kind of a crutch but I absolutely love it and I am ok with that.
Ok, thanks! I have another random question, how long was the longest rope you brought?

jcarufel

Our longest rope was 600'. Teufelberger KMIII Max. We also set our lines with the Big Shot. We used 2 6' poles instead of 2 4' poles to reach maximum height.

The other guys used a modified cross bow that worked really well but it doesn't seem to have the same feel to it for me. When you are shooting that Big Shot, you are personally invested because it is harder than hell to pull down on the damn thing! The cross bow, you just shoot it and you're set!

jcarufel

Jake,
I just put two and two together as to who you are. I had never heard of you guys and my wife and I were looking at your website the other night saying how awesome you guys are. Great work, well done sir!
Thanks man! Do you mean The Seekers Of or Bartlett?