Seeking CMC Clutch

Rob Stafari

Just watched a Video of RopeTek Wraptor Power Ascender. I had not seen that one, but if I was to get something like that it would be the Ronin Electrical Power Ascender. I discovered that very early in my self-training when I was feeling a lot more awkward and thought I would never make it up 70 feet!! I saw the Ronin as my salvation. There is something you should know about the whole purpose of my climbing trees with SRT. I WANT TO BUILD STRENGTH IN MY BODY and am doing this as part of my exercise routine!! I am in no hurry to get up to the 70 foot Friction Saver. It takes me about 15-20 minutes at a nice comfortable pace. It feels like a total body workout to me which is exactly what I want. As I perfected my RADS/YoYo technique, it became not just doable, but enjoyable. Our coach helped us perfect our technique for this kind of climbing.
That Wraptor is loud, clumsy, difficult to maneuver through some of my tree’s branches, and poses so many rigging requirements. Just getting it down is ridiculous. The Ronin is preferable as I think it even has a descent button. But, again, I want/need/love the exercise of SRT. I am not an arborist who is going up to the top of our tree to work on it.
The view of Protection Island from the top is just one of the rewards. Here you just get your first little peek of the island that is in the Strait of Juan de Fuca. I usually climb a bit higher to even see more of it. When the season is right, I will be able to catch a sunset view over water. Right now the sun sets over the Olympic Mountains. View attachment 71820
Excellent view and well worth the effort. Keep it up and stick around a bit. We'll get you set up with a rope walking setup and that clutch can go on basil anchor rescue duty in place of the Rig or ID, whichever one you said you had. Even more fun and thorough workout than all that sitting and standing.

climbstihl

Might I suggest the skylotec sirius instead of the clutch or I'D? Works on most rope diameters you would find while tree climbing (up to 12mm), Is much more user friendly than the I'D, works on older and more worn ropes, and feels very durable and has an anti-panic feature. The last two points seem important too you. And all this comes in a package much smaller and lighter than the clutch.

Rob Stafari

The clutch has the anti panic feature and is user friendly. It is also high efficiency which has its benefits as well in some scenarios. Although the goal here is exercise so high efficiency might not actually be a benefit at all. The clutch is certainly overkill for the task both in price an performance, but is certainly appropriately used, rated for the task, and safe as can be which is all that really matters.

Tuebor

And the Clutch is rated for ropes 10.5-11 mm. I see you are using Bifrost, but when you replace the rope, you will have to stick with 11 mm - another drawback of the device.

oldoakman

I will check out Wraptor should I desire to purchase a second setup so my hubby and I can climb simultaneously. Thanks for the advice. I am 70 yrs old, very cautious, and know that the safety of many of the devices you describe are comparable. It was the “fit and feel” of the Clutch that made me want to place my life in its hands.

My hat is off to you in all your endeavors of climbing and keeping your body going in life. We all spend our money or die leaving it to others. We all die doing something we love or die doing something we don't love.

I admire your drive, your choices, and your seeking out more info.

Best of luck in your adventures, Merle
X2

Tuebor

10.5-11.5, but from the sounds of it a heavier rope won't be considered to begin with so that should be just fine for their purposes.
Hmm...I remember having to switch ropes at a recent comp to one that was 11 mm for use in the AR event. Their website says:

"The only 10.5-11 mm rope diameter compatible device certified to NFPA 1983 (G-Rated), ANSI Z359.4 and EN 12841/C, 341/2A, and 15151/8."

But I see they have a version planned for up to 13 mm ropes.

Marie Muma

Excellent view and well worth the effort. Keep it up and stick around a bit. We'll get you set up with a rope walking setup and that clutch can go on basil anchor rescue duty in place of the Rig or ID, whichever one you said you had. Even more fun and thorough workout than all that sitting and standing.
I do think that Rope Walking may be in my future.

Rob Stafari

Hmm...I remember having to switch ropes at a recent comp to one that was 11 mm for use in the AR event. Their website says:

"The only 10.5-11 mm rope diameter compatible device certified to NFPA 1983 (G-Rated), ANSI Z359.4 and EN 12841/C, 341/2A, and 15151/8."

But I see they have a version planned for up to 13 mm ropes.
I looked on the Rock-N-Rescue/Rock-N_Arbor page because it was already pulled up in my browser and it says to 11.5 Will look into it and let AJ know there is a discrepancy.

Edit: My confusion still exists, but I now know more. Every reseller I've looked at lists it as 10.5-11.5, which is why I was thinking that, so I went straight to the source. Harken Industrial who actually makes it for CMC has it listed as 10.5-11.5 so I am willing to go with what they say. Regardless of what CMC's page says even though their name is on it... hence my continued confusion

Last edited:

Tuebor

I looked on the Rock-N-Rescue/Rock-N_Arbor page because it was already pulled up in my browser and it says to 11.5 Will look into it and let AJ know there is a discrepancy.

Edit: My confusion still exists, but I now know more. Every reseller I've looked at lists it as 10.5-11.5, which is why I was thinking that, so I went straight to the source. Harken Industrial who actually makes it for CMC has it listed as 10.5-11.5 so I am willing to go with what they say. Regardless of what CMC's page says even though their name is on it... hence my continued confusion
Yeah, I see that on some retailers' sites as well. Not sure where the confusion is. The device itself states 10.5-11 mm. The ANSI approval is for 11.0 mm only. The user manual and the Harken website all say 10.5-11 mm.

CMCClutch5_1024x1024@2x.jpg Screenshot 2020-12-01 at 07.52.51.png Screenshot 2020-12-01 at 07.54.01.png Screenshot 2020-12-01 at 07.51.29.png

Last edited:

Marie Muma

I would strongly consider the switch to rope walking before purchasing another clutch. If you make the switch there is no real sensible use of a clutch in a rope walking setup.
I would like to attend some sort of Trade Show that would allow me to try Rope Walking. My first attempt had me going back to RADS, but was told that it might be easier for me once I got more experience with RADS. I live in Port Townsend, driving distance from Seattle. Videos of Rope Walking sure make it look easier and fun. Maybe I will put out a Post for any Rope Walkers in my vicinity who want to come here for a climb. Our rope is all set up and my hubbie cooks a great steak!!! Thanks for the response. I will certainly keep Rope Walking on my Radar.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom