Seeking CMC Clutch

Rob Stafari

Doubt you are going to find one for sale in the tree climbing world. I could be wrong, but it is far more common as a rope access/rope rescue tool, not that it can't be used in a tree. I see you have one in your picture. Might I ask what you use it for?

Marie Muma

We started Recreational Tree Climbing a few months ago. We asked ”NiceGuyDave” (Dave Stice) from Wesspur to recommend a ”set-up” for starting. He recommended SRT/YoYo technique and gave us a list to purchase, including rope etc. The clutch was on that list. We started practicing in our garage and now have a particular tree with a “permanent” Chain Friction Saver installed 70 feet up. We climb that tree every other day for exercise. The clutch is so darned ”bullet-proof” and user friendly. It is $650, but for us it is worth it, having tried other devices. I am 70 yrs old and having such a nice reliable device for this is worth the money. At present, only one of us climb at a time, but I can foresee that we may want to both climb together at some point. I am a former scuba diver and snow skier so I am used to expensive equipment. I know I could have used something like a Petzl I’D and we actually do own one that we keep fastened to our basal anchor should we need to belay the other person down in the event of an emergency. I know that I probably will not find a used one, but I figured I could try!! 685ADC40-07E6-4147-B310-674CC389FF72.jpeg

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
Will The Clutch work going up and down on a rope in DdRT/MRS like a friction hitch or multicender?

after watching a couple CMC videos it seems much more robust and complicated, more suited for rescue than tree climbing.

Marie Muma

Will The Clutch work going up and down on a rope in DdRT/MRS like a friction hitch or multicender?

after watching a couple CMC videos it seems much more robust and complicated, more suited for rescue than tree climbing.
I am such a “newbie” that I am not sure about DdRT/MRS or what that really means. All I can say is that for SRT, it is truly the most amazing device. The use of it for us is simple and I love how it holds onto our climbing rope. There are no sharp poking teeth. I watched videos also and found them very confusing for my purposes. It was only when we started actually using it that it became clear. We practiced in our garage for a couple of months, getting quite good at SRT. Then we hired an arborist to install our Friction Saver at 70 feet up. We did partial ascents on our tree prior to having a Certified Arborist Trainer come to our place for the day to give us our training and we were able to ascend to the top!! Now we climb it about every 2-3 days depending on weather. We have a beautiful view of Protection Island from the top.

Tuebor

I am such a “newbie” that I am not sure about DdRT/MRS or what that really means. All I can say is that for SRT, it is truly the most amazing device. The use of it for us is simple and I love how it holds onto our climbing rope. There are no sharp poking teeth. I watched videos also and found them very confusing for my purposes. It was only when we started actually using it that it became clear. We practiced in our garage for a couple of months, getting quite good at SRT. Then we hired an arborist to install our Friction Saver at 70 feet up. We did partial ascents on our tree prior to having a Certified Arborist Trainer come to our place for the day to give us our training and we were able to ascend to the top!! Now we climb it about every 2-3 days depending on weather. We have a beautiful view of Protection Island from the top.
I know I sound crabby today, but if you don't know what DdRT/MRS is, and you had to have an arborist install your friction saver for you, you're getting in over your head with a Clutch, regardless of how simple it is to use.

Marie Muma

I know I sound crabby today, but if you don't know what DdRT/MRS is, and you had to have an arborist install your friction saver for you, you're getting in over your head with a Clutch, regardless of how simple it is to use.
Well, the Friction Saver was installed way before we started our training. We are now well versed on installing Friction Savers now. I did know that DdRT/MRS was at least two ropes. Not sure of any advantages over one rope? Going in over my head with a Clutch? Not sure what you mean by that, but I do believe that we are quite safe and going at a pace that will allow us to continue to be safe.

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
I have to chuckle a bit. Go with me, this is more an observation and caution.

There is a huge bit of irony that I use DdRT and you interpret it as two ropes. Its not.

Twenty-some years ago...,way prior to Treebuzz...on the ISA forum I was talking about SRT. In order to separate the typical arborist system of using one rope draped over a limb/trunk and double rope technique I coined the term DdRT to be less typing and more clear...for doubled rope technique. In the past few years the shift has been to use stationary and moving rather than single in the nomenclature. You've found yourself on kind of a Mobius strip.

Have you read The Tree Climber's Companion?

Stay with us. With some dialog back and forth you'll be on the right track. I know some people who have self-taught with nudges from books and discussion.

The Clutch may be a tool that can be used as a multicender...there's homework...a term you need to know. But...this is the first time I've, and it seems others, have heard it recommended for arbo use. There is a generous dose of caution to go with it too given your non-experience in tree climbing. There are so many tried and true multicenders that have been dialed in for tree climbing. Most of them are MUCH cheaper and have been vetted thoroughly by climbers with decades of tree climbing.

Tuebor

I did know that DdRT/MRS was at least two ropes. Not sure of any advantages over one rope? Going in over my head with a Clutch? Not sure what you mean by that, but I do believe that we are quite safe and going at a pace that will allow us to continue to be safe.
See, DdRT (Doubled Rope Technique) /MRS (Moving Rope System) is not two ropes - it's using a single rope where you are connected to both ends and essentially are hauling yourself up. There are explanations right inside the WesSpur catalog.

The Clutch is a $600 piece of gear that would be used primarily for rigging applications or aerial rescue situations and lastly as a climbing system, especially when there are cheaper tools specifically designed for rope work in trees.

(Tom beat me to it)

Marie Muma

I have to chuckle a bit. Go with me, this is more an observation and caution.

There is a huge bit of irony that I use DdRT and you interpret it as two ropes. Its not.

Twenty-some years ago...,way prior to Treebuzz...on the ISA forum I was talking about SRT. In order to separate the typical arborist system of using one rope draped over a limb/trunk and double rope technique I coined the term DdRT to be less typing and more clear...for doubled rope technique. In the past few years the shift has been to use stationary and moving rather than single in the nomenclature. You've found yourself on kind of a Mobius strip.

Have you read The Tree Climber's Companion?

Stay with us. With some dialog back and forth you'll be on the right track. I know some people who have self-taught with nudges from books and discussion.

The Clutch may be a tool that can be used as a multicender...there's homework...a term you need to know. But...this is the first time I've, and it seems others, have heard it recommended for arbo use. There is a generous dose of caution to go with it too given your non-experience in tree climbing. There are so many tried and true multicenders that have been dialed in for tree climbing. Most of them are MUCH cheaper and have been vetted thoroughly by climbers with decades of tree climbing.
See, DdRT (Doubled Rope Technique) /MRS (Moving Rope System) is not two ropes - it's using a single rope where you are connected to both ends and essentially are hauling yourself up. There are explanations right inside the WesSpur catalog.

The Clutch is a $600 piece of gear that would be used primarily for rigging applications or aerial rescue situations and lastly as a climbing system, especially when there are cheaper tools specifically designed for rope work in trees.

(Tom beat me to it)
I guess you don’t know of Dave Stice from Wesspur, who is a very educated and experience Certified Arborist. He is the one recommended the clutch for our purposes. He has been our “Guru” from afar and did set up our training session at our home in our tree.
I do own the Tree Climber Companion. We just never investigated DdRT/MRS because Dave did not recommend it for our purposes. We did even ”dabble” in rope walking, but didn’t feel as comfortable with it (may revisit in the future).
We did try the Unicender as well as the Petzl I’D and found the CMC clutch to just be more to our liking and worth the extra money. There is nothing like having two or three gadgets in your hands at once and making the comparison that way. Wesspur and Amazon both have “Free Returns” which allowed us to try tons of equipment. I tried eight different saddles before picking the New Tribe Twist for my 115 lb 5’1” frame.
I do thank you for the dialogue. I encourage you to get a chance to get your hands on a Clutch. It is definitely great for Recreational Tree Climbing. Dave Stice got this recommendation correct. We have great respect for all of his guidance. Bye for now.......

Tuebor

I know Dave. I just worked with him at a comp a few weeks ago. I've had my hands on a Clutch...we used a Clutch at the comp. The Clutch is a great device. If you like it, knock yourself out and buy another. To me, it's like putting an elevator in a two story house. There's a reason you never see tree climbers using them as a climbing device. You should look into a Wraptor.

Marie Muma

I will check out Wraptor should I desire to purchase a second setup so my hubby and I can climb simultaneously. Thanks for the advice. I am 70 yrs old, very cautious, and know that the safety of many of the devices you describe are comparable. It was the “fit and feel” of the Clutch that made me want to place my life in its hands.

Marie Muma

I know Dave. I just worked with him at a comp a few weeks ago. I've had my hands on a Clutch...we used a Clutch at the comp. The Clutch is a great device. If you like it, knock yourself out and buy another. To me, it's like putting an elevator in a two story house. There's a reason you never see tree climbers using them as a climbing device. You should look into a Wraptor.
Just watched a Video of RopeTek Wraptor Power Ascender. I had not seen that one, but if I was to get something like that it would be the Ronin Electrical Power Ascender. I discovered that very early in my self-training when I was feeling a lot more awkward and thought I would never make it up 70 feet!! I saw the Ronin as my salvation. There is something you should know about the whole purpose of my climbing trees with SRT. I WANT TO BUILD STRENGTH IN MY BODY and am doing this as part of my exercise routine!! I am in no hurry to get up to the 70 foot Friction Saver. It takes me about 15-20 minutes at a nice comfortable pace. It feels like a total body workout to me which is exactly what I want. As I perfected my RADS/YoYo technique, it became not just doable, but enjoyable. Our coach helped us perfect our technique for this kind of climbing.
That Wraptor is loud, clumsy, difficult to maneuver through some of my tree’s branches, and poses so many rigging requirements. Just getting it down is ridiculous. The Ronin is preferable as I think it even has a descent button. But, again, I want/need/love the exercise of SRT. I am not an arborist who is going up to the top of our tree to work on it.
The view of Protection Island from the top is just one of the rewards. Here you just get your first little peek of the island that is in the Strait of Juan de Fuca. I usually climb a bit higher to even see more of it. When the season is right, I will be able to catch a sunset view over water. Right now the sun sets over the Olympic Mountains. AB6ECF56-AB2C-42C0-A5C8-4CEB5C747244.jpeg

Merle Nelson

My hat is off to you in all your endeavors of climbing and keeping your body going in life. We all spend our money or die leaving it to others. We all die doing something we love or die doing something we don't love.

I admire your drive, your choices, and your seeking out more info.

Best of luck in your adventures, Merle

Marie Muma

My hat is off to you in all your endeavors of climbing and keeping your body going in life. We all spend our money or die leaving it to others. We all die doing something we love or die doing something we don't love.

I admire your drive, your choices, and your seeking out more info.

Best of luck in your adventures, Merle
Thanks. This sport is taking on so many serendipitous benefits. Take care and stay safe!

Merle Nelson

By the way, if you have an interest in meeting up with more people passionate about climbing check into recreational climber groups in your area. Also "Treestuff partys" to meet people and try more gear. And if you were really adventurous and have access to places to climb in your area - a soft invitation for others to come climb there.

Marie Muma

By the way, if you have an interest in meeting up with more people passionate about climbing check into recreational climber groups in your area. Also "Treestuff partys" to meet people and try more gear. And if you were really adventurous and have access to places to climb in your area - a soft invitation for others to come climb there.
I actually have met another tree climber on NextDoor. We are keeping our options open to making some “social climbs.” We just bought a Notch slingshot with trigger. We live on the Olympic Peninsula in Port Townsend. Give us a shout if you ever visit up here.
We actually have another permanent Chain Friction Saver set up in a different tree and have yet to climb that one. I am sure that will be an adventure. We thought about having my hubbie and me climb the same tree at the same time, but I am not sure that will be easy since our arborist did make ONE clear path only.
I have thought about installing a third Friction Saver in a tree that is in VERY close proximity to our present main climbing tree. That way, hubbie could have his own tree and we could chit chat on the way up and maybe even be close enough to see each other intermittently as we both climbed.
A zip line system is probably in our future. There is a guy near Portland Oregon who has designed a zipline trolley with a manual brake on it. We are planning to check that out and visit his 25 acre home that has apparently become a zipline paradise. He even sells this device on Amazon!!!
Take care. Marie

Rob Stafari

The clutch is sort of a cross between a high efficiency pulley and an ISC D4 or Petzl I.D., etc. It can only be used in a stand/sit configuration YoYo configuration. Definitely not a multicender.

Rob Stafari

We started Recreational Tree Climbing a few months ago. We asked ”NiceGuyDave” (Dave Stice) from Wesspur to recommend a ”set-up” for starting. He recommended SRT/YoYo technique and gave us a list to purchase, including rope etc. The clutch was on that list. We started practicing in our garage and now have a particular tree with a “permanent” Chain Friction Saver installed 70 feet up. We climb that tree every other day for exercise. The clutch is so darned ”bullet-proof” and user friendly. It is $650, but for us it is worth it, having tried other devices. I am 70 yrs old and having such a nice reliable device for this is worth the money. At present, only one of us climb at a time, but I can foresee that we may want to both climb together at some point. I am a former scuba diver and snow skier so I am used to expensive equipment. I know I could have used something like a Petzl I’D and we actually do own one that we keep fastened to our basal anchor should we need to belay the other person down in the event of an emergency. I know that I probably will not find a used one, but I figured I could try!! View attachment 71818
I doubt you will find a used clutch even outside of the tree world at this point as it is such a new, expensive, and loved product.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom