Nutrition

evo

so you do no milk,cheese,eggs,butter,yougurt,right?to me you are almost all round just like me...
and your belt??lol
dont think you are a vegan like @Mowerr mentioned.
Also remember human machines can adapt and evolve given the right space.
Glad to find some one I can chat about food.
Seen a doc while ago "origins"where they proof monkeys started eating meat,got down from the trees and brains increased in size,maybe a relation in there?
I eat dairy, eggs, fish, shell fish, rarely chicken broth in soups. Cheese is one of my go to proteins as well as fish

Jonny

Yes pretty much the same I think. Meat that isn’t poultry or fish is red meat. Beef, pork, lamb, venison, bear, etc.

I guess I’m on Keto diet of sorts. Lots of meat, cheese, and green veggies. Very little starch, grains, or sugar. Under 25 grams a day of net carbs. Lots of fats and moderate to high protein. Not really measuring portions and eating tiny meals so doesn’t feel like a strict diet.

I love how I feel on it. Lots of energy, good mood, focus, and motivation. I can’t sleep more than 5 hours now, usually 4 hours, but feel well rested and ready to go when I wake up. It’d be cool if I had someone to talk to at 3am lol even the dog doesn’t wanna hang out at that hour.

I miss beer sometimes, especially if I’m hanging out with my brothers, but I get by with a little help from Irish Whiskey.

TimBr

Official Well Known Greeter
If I don’t wash the pan and get a bunch of meat juice on my food I get a tummy ache and gassy.
I'm not sure, but that sounds like it might be an allergic reaction. Someone I know mentioned a book they'd read, called "The Pulse Test for Allergies" or something similar. The basic idea behind the book is that you fast for a little while to clear all the foods out of your system, then slowly introduce the foods that you think you might be allergic to. If you are allergic, as soon as you eat the food you are allergic to, your pulse rate will spike.

Here's a link to one of the books written on the subject. I think most of them were written by the same guy.

SomethingWitty

Arkansawyer
have you tried it ??
full vegans dont have what it takes(why do you think he doesnt reply)and I will challenge anyone in front of me not online,sorry...I can talk a lot as an avatar but takes a real person to do it in front of me
One of the best climbers that I know is a vegetarian. I made fun of him for it at a comp in 2016. Since then, Jeff Inman has made it to masters in ITCC twice. He nearly won last year.
I don't know if he is incredibly strict about it, but we weigh about the same, and he's 5 inches taller than I am. He climbs like his bones are hollow and I've never seen him breathe hard.

Naturarbo

One of the best climbers that I know is a vegetarian. I made fun of him for it at a comp in 2016. Since then, Jeff Inman has made it to masters in ITCC twice. He nearly won last year.
I don't know if he is incredibly strict about it, but we weigh about the same, and he's 5 inches taller than I am. He climbs like his bones are hollow and I've never seen him breathe hard.
I do believe that...also he doesnt smoke does he?

eyehearttrees

How meny of you guys follow a strict diet? Or you just eat what you get and work hard? Thinking of getting a plan from a personal trainer. Would like to get a bit lighter but sometimes my eating is messed up. Depends what im working on. Can happen that i miss my prelunch snack and sometimes even lunch. That dosent do eny good...maybe a plan would force me more. Eny experience?

Andrus
I'm currently out-of-sync but usually have an incredibly strict diet, not in the way of measuring portions or treating something processed as-if it were poison but simply ensuring I hit target calories, target protein&fat and, of great importance IMO, fiber! When my diet & sleep are consistent it gives a total feel-good vibe almost like upping your testosterone lol (actually it probably does up your test a bit considering how wildly test levels fluctuate)

Anyways I'm really replying in-response to the notion of 'miss breakfast even lunch sometimes', this isn't that bad so long as you make-up the calories, the body will adapt in fact "intermittent fasting" is a really useful program for many (a regimen wherein you're essentially gorging for 8hrs of the day, and fasting the other 16hrs, same time-periods every day, I've never done it because I'm always aiming to gain weight - stupid high metabolism - but of people I've seen / known to do it they always seem to have that vibe/glow of being healthier just a better mood/attitude/etc. While I've never tried to do any fasting of the sort, my workdays very very frequently equate to no lunch, and I almost never eat breakfast, so just circumstance often has me gorging as hard as I can once I get home for the day (no, that's not why I can't gain weight I assure you, have been struggling with hyperactive metabolism my entire life!)

If you're missing meals though, or doing any sort of intermittent fasting, it's pretty important to recognize the relative-importance of fats&proteins (and fiber) relative to carbs, the body doesn't even need carbs to get by but sufficient amounts of all the varied fatty-acids & amino-acids comprising the fats&proteins in our foods is very very important - the "paleo" types of food-plans are among the best IMO!

CanadianStan

I'm currently out-of-sync but usually have an incredibly strict diet, not in the way of measuring portions or treating something processed as-if it were poison but simply ensuring I hit target calories, target protein&fat and, of great importance IMO, fiber! When my diet & sleep are consistent it gives a total feel-good vibe almost like upping your testosterone lol (actually it probably does up your test a bit considering how wildly test levels fluctuate)

Anyways I'm really replying in-response to the notion of 'miss breakfast even lunch sometimes', this isn't that bad so long as you make-up the calories, the body will adapt in fact "intermittent fasting" is a really useful program for many (a regimen wherein you're essentially gorging for 8hrs of the day, and fasting the other 16hrs, same time-periods every day, I've never done it because I'm always aiming to gain weight - stupid high metabolism - but of people I've seen / known to do it they always seem to have that vibe/glow of being healthier just a better mood/attitude/etc. While I've never tried to do any fasting of the sort, my workdays very very frequently equate to no lunch, and I almost never eat breakfast, so just circumstance often has me gorging as hard as I can once I get home for the day (no, that's not why I can't gain weight I assure you, have been struggling with hyperactive metabolism my entire life!)

If you're missing meals though, or doing any sort of intermittent fasting, it's pretty important to recognize the relative-importance of fats&proteins (and fiber) relative to carbs, the body doesn't even need carbs to get by but sufficient amounts of all the varied fatty-acids & amino-acids comprising the fats&proteins in our foods is very very important - the "paleo" types of food-plans are among the best IMO!
I feel way better when I work fasted. I love not feeling heavy or weighed down ... Not eating a high carb diet also reduces brain fog and general feelings of lethargia (ie panini and gigantic cinnamon bun for lunch)

It's also especially nice in the summer for your water and electrolyte intake to go directly to your brain and muscles instead of being redirected towards water retention in the cells due to carbs

My favourite days of work involve massive takedowns, 8-9 hours in tree with just water and salt tablets

Amber Jones

I follow what might be called a paleo or primal lifestyle, in a non-dogmatic, 80/20, relaxed kind of way. It's a little bit self-regulating, because if I get off-track, I feel like crap. I also have problems with digestion and heartburn if I don't eat well, that's what originally got me reading about this stuff years ago. I am happier, feel better, and easier to get along with, when I eat high quality food.

I think that any plan which focus on the quantity of food eaten, whether by calorie, serving, block, etc...is unsustainable over the long haul at best, and a recipe for disordered eating and stress at worst. Humans survived for eons with nothing but hunger and thirst to guide portion control, and I find that when I'm eating high quality food, it's very hard to over-eat, in fact, sometimes it's hard to eat enough. Crap food, however, is hard not to over-eat.

I know "lifestyle" is kind of a gross word - some people use "template", which is hardly better, but it really is about how we live. Sleep, stress, socialization, activity/exercise (we've mostly got that covered, no thanks to Reg, Paul Cox, Kevin Bingham, etc), sun exposure (no problems there, either, especially for Swing), it all affects how we eat, and is in turn affected by how we eat.

These sites/people have been very useful to me for nutrition advice, among other things:
Chris Kresser
Robb Wolf
Mark Sisson
Jordan Reasoner
Johnny Pain
John Kiefer
Dallas Hartwig

This is a pretty good summary from Mark Sisson:
When it comes to stomach ulcers I have found Manuka honey helps if you eat a spoonful a half hour before eating it protects the stomach lining from things that hpi Lori could do to our digestive trac good thing to get checked for if your in a high stress work environment.

eyehearttrees

I feel way better when I work fasted. I love not feeling heavy or weighed down ... Not eating a high carb diet also reduces brain fog and general feelings of lethargia (ie panini and gigantic cinnamon bun for lunch)
Well put!! Though there's a bit of a "tricky" caveat to this, or 'tricky' if you don't understand the mechanisms at least which you won't if you haven't read-up on fasting/ketosis....When I go days, weeks even, w/o ever having a calorie before late-afternoon or even dinner/end-of-day (my most-common day sees me getting 90%+, if not 100%, of my calories in 1 sitting, right-before I fall asleep or rather before / as I'm getting in-bed & turning-on a movie, sometimes asleep immediately after eating othertimes an hour or 2 later), it does tend to make me run smoother/better while working although I find that I can "break" the routine by using low-dose gatorade(or similar) products through the day IF they're spaced-out (this basically negates the brain-fog and lethargy you mention, since those are attributable to the quick spike in blood sugar & corresponding insulin-spike which, once it's run its short course, leaves you lethargic/foggy!) For volume/amount I mean like a 1l gatorade that I'll drink sparingly over a multi-hour period, maybe every 3rd time I go for fluid I'll have the gatorade over the water (always go through at least 1-1.5 units of water from my 2l, insulated steel water bottle, thing is a beast it clips to my belt I got it after a time that I was at-height and dehydration hit me hard, both psychologically and even worse in terms of cramping which led to a generalized anxiety/panic about being at-height in that condition (I'm in semi-tropical central FL!)
Should mention how critical electrolytes are!!!! When I prep my water for the day, it's not just neat/plain water it's got a good dash of sodium-salt and equivalent dash of "Nu Salt" (potassium), or just the "Lite Salt" which is a 50/50 sodium/potassium mix, all of these are Morton products and work great for hydration, I spent about 4yrs here commuting to jobs by bicycle so had plenty of trial&error learning to finally dial-in hydration, the half-half sodium/potassium (and Magnesium pills, as dosages for that don't lend well tttowards powders - never get Mag Oxide always Mag citrate or any form besides Oxide, Oxide has pitiful bioavailability) makes all the difference in the world, people get dehydrated working outttside all day in the summer and if/when they hydrate with water alone, sure, it gets rid of the dehydration but it exacerbates electrolyte-deficiency, before I figured this out I would think I was hydrating appropriately only to find I couldn't figure-out why, after getting cramps and then drinking a half-litre of water, the dry-mouth would go away but the cramping would get worse sometimes to debilitating cramping/charlie-horse type muscle-restrictions/tensions....When you've sweated-out a liter of fluid, you sweat-out the corresponding electrolytes, so while drinking neat/pure water addresses the dehydration it actually exacerbates the electrolyte-deficiency as you're watering-down the already-depleted remaining electrolyte reserves, Morton's Lite Salt - just a couple dashes into a 2l bottle - seems to do the trick (ideally alongside a 250mg mag citrate pill though I find that magnesium-deficiencies don't manifest remotely as quick&significantly as potass./sodium deficiencies)

It's also especially nice in the summer for your water and electrolyte intake to go directly to your brain and muscles instead of being redirected towards water retention in the cells due to carbs
Full-bellies and all? I don't know if you mean intra, or inter, cellular water-retention, one is good (and is a primary mechanism by which the outstanding supplement Creatine works so well!!) and the other is bad, however it's not just that in fact I'd wager the bigger water-loss from carbing-up while hydrating is simply due to the water necessary for digestion (your body can't digest properly when dehydrated so if you had a liter of water, but also a bag of frosted donuts, you may've just had a "balanced hydration snack" but if you were already dehydrated then that means it does nothing for you (as you didn't need "balance" since your current position was sub-optimal, you needed a boost in water but if it went entirely to digesting the carbs then you never changed your water-level in terms of proper hydration you merely didn't make it worse by having that snack - and then, if the snack wasn't appropriate, you compound things by getting the carb-heavy results you'd mentioned *on top of* your dehydrated (and/or electrolyte-depleted) state!)

Totally a balancing-act much of the time, have spent years trying to dial-in hydration and found nothing that's superior to simply keeping ample water-with-Lite Salt(or gatorade, preferably diluted with water) for negating hydration-issues, and while heavy carbs (or calories of any sort) are likely to cause rebounding efffects while working, IF you just do small-doses of carbs with heavy fluid I find it gives virtually no 'carb zonking' afterward, I've gotta surmise it's because your small carb-intakes aren't enough for any significant blood sugar/insulin responses, yet *is* enough to give a lil boost of blood glucose to help you perform a bit better (almost like low-dose caffeine)

My favourite days of work involve massive takedowns, 8-9 hours in tree with just water and salt tablets
What type do you use? They've always intrigued me but honeslty it's so simple to do a dash of Lite Salt, always pop a 250mg magnesium citrate or two before heading out, and it's never steered me wrong :D Now I just gotta get gigs where I'm able to spend 8-9hrs in a tree ROFL (only recently started canvasing the locals to get "high up on their contract-climber roster", actually just got my 1st job that way last week it was great it was the 1st time ever I got to just climb/rig/cut and didn't have to do any pick-up, didn't load their trailer, just sat in-tree roping & cutting it was ideal...exceptt for the pay, although at this point I'm just trying to get more time in-tree / not stressing the $$ as long as I'm not taking that much of a loss relative to what I usually make doing my "general handyman" work (have done that for about 5yrs now and only this year did I begin trying to specialize, with my final completion of my heavy-duty rigging setup just barely a month ago, so far have only reached-out to 2 companies so was stoked 1 contracted me within a week of me telling them to keep me in-mind ;D )

treebing

have you tried it ??
full vegans dont have what it takes(why do you think he doesnt reply)and I will challenge anyone in front of me not online,sorry...I can talk a lot as an avatar but takes a real person to do it in front of me
That's bullshit. I'm not a vegan by a long shot but plenty of vegans have what it takes if done correctly. Tom fucking Brady hardly eats any meat whatsoever... There are some incredible athletes that don't touch animal products, including the greatest endurance runners ever to run and one of the strongest men in the strongmen competitions. Carl Lewis is vegan, so is Venus Williams Kyrie Irving is one of several vegans in the nba if your into basketball. Lots of football players swear by a plant based diet. James Kilpatrick, one of the greatest comp climbers of all time is also a vegan. Jeff Inman is a rockstar as well. I live off of mostly vegetables and only eat meat for pleasure. And I get a lot of pleasure from eating meat. I also love to fish. Rice and beans gets it done for like 90% of the planet. Most meat you find is nasty stuff. Anyone say Cisco? I would never ever be a vegetarian or a vegan but meat is simply reprocessed plants. And most meat now is only reprocessed corn, soy and other animals in the case of pigs and chickens. There is nothing in meat that you can't get from vegetables, and a little fermentation.

Last edited:
I take 1000 milligrams of vitamin c about every hour while climbing and water. Vitamin c gives you energy and takes away aches and pains. Has to be a constant flow to work good. I take about 10000 to 15,000 milligrams a day