Monkey Beaver harness

colb

Sorry but I’m not sure I understand what you are saying?
Wearing a harness low on the hips means that the waist belt is wider than the hips. Hips keep the waist belt from sliding down your legs and off. That's why harnesses should be worn high. Harness leg straps are not life support. Just the waist. When a climber inverts while the harness is low on the hips, the harness can slide off.

colb

Well, don’t I feel like a fucking idiot. I’ve been wearing my saddle wrong for the last 40 years. Lucky for me I didn’t compound the problem by doing something as stupid as getting inverted!
I've been wearing saw protective pants for 4.5 years - never needed them. Prolly should go back to yoga pants... :eek: ;)

I occassionally limbwalk downhill and find myself out at the tips cutting well beneath my feet, thankful that my harness is tight around my waist. Aside from these rare moments, I feel the same as you. I'm also unsure of what happens during accidents - whether climbers are found right side up or in other orientations.

Lastly, I don't want the lurkers doing that out of the gate. We are their example.

rico

Sorry I was just playin and being a smart ass! I have been wearing my saddle just below the top of my hip-bones forever. As someone who spends a lot of time standing in a flipline, hanging bigger saws, I have found it much better than high riding at keeping my hips and low-back happy!

colb

Sorry I was just playin and being a smart ass! I have been wearing my saddle just below the top of my hip-bones forever. As someone who spends a lot of time standing in a flipline, hanging bigger saws, I have found it much better than high riding at keeping my hips and low-back happy!
That makes sense, but I can't help thinking that you're just saying that because you don't want to have to think of me wearing yoga pants in tree, lolz...

rico

That makes sense, but I can't help thinking that you're just saying that because you don't want to have to think of me wearing yoga pants in tree, lolz...
Please tell me you aren’t one of those man-bun wearing, complicated coffee drinking, yoga pant wearing, tree climbing...........................

colb

complicated coffee drinking,
So, nay to the manbunn and yoga pants (though I would think they'd be the bomb in eucs, @Stihlmadd ), but... I was really bummed out when my Aeropress flew off my trailer in June while moving from my second-story apartment to the new 3/4-acre lot. The Aeropress is so slick for a single cup. I still had my manual ceramic burr grinder so I segwayed to my girlfriend's stovetop espresso maker and switched exclusively to dark roasts. They're so much easier to grind, btw. With the espresso maker, I've been missing the subtle lemony notes of some of those single-origin Yirgacheffe beans, lightly roasted, that I could extract with the Aeropress... Over Thanksgiving break I traveled with my son to visit my mom in California, under whose roof no coffee is made. I turfed up a Chemex pour over flask and picked up a medium local roast. I struggled with occassional and tempermental underextraction, though, and found myself wanting a water heating pot to keep the temperature on point at 205°, y'know? But, the times I nailed it, it was that good. This coffee thing is real, man, it's so real. ;)

Flex Abednego

I really need a burr grinder. Still using a blade grinder like a neanderthal. Just cut off my braided hair necklace last crab season because some lug head started talking fisticuffs and I don’t like getting my hair pulled while I’m trying to resolve differences peacefully.
For me pour over is the only way to go.
Black, I mean uhh... unadulterated.
Espresso is just some overly privileged European attack on the coffee beans naturally and inherent delicate and beautiful natural flavor :coffe::coffe:

Edit- Neanderthals are fine with me. I have never had any bad experience with them. Actually my genetic mothers sister was married to one and I always talked to him at Fall Feast
(we used to call it thanksgiving)

rico

So, nay to the manbunn and yoga pants (though I would think they'd be the bomb in eucs, @Stihlmadd ), but... I was really bummed out when my Aeropress flew off my trailer in June while moving from my second-story apartment to the new 3/4-acre lot. The Aeropress is so slick for a single cup. I still had my manual ceramic burr grinder so I segwayed to my girlfriend's stovetop espresso maker and switched exclusively to dark roasts. They're so much easier to grind, btw. With the espresso maker, I've been missing the subtle lemony notes of some of those single-origin Yirgacheffe beans, lightly roasted, that I could extract with the Aeropress... Over Thanksgiving break I traveled with my son to visit my mom in California, under whose roof no coffee is made. I turfed up a Chemex pour over flask and picked up a medium local roast. I struggled with occassional and tempermental underextraction, though, and found myself wanting a water heating pot to keep the temperature on point at 205°, y'know? But, the times I nailed it, it was that good. This coffee thing is real, man, it's so real. ;)
Yea, don’t tell anyone but I’m a serious snob when it comes to my coffee and beer. Only the good stuff for me please. Luckily we live in a era when there are some amazing roasters and brewers!

Alejandro Concolor

Had some fun with the Monkey Beaver today wreaking a couple Redwoods. Also used a Spiderjack 3 for the first time. Its an amazing time to be a Tree-man! A quick little vid for ya. Will try and edit a full video later this week.

That spider jack seemed to be advancing quite nice. What mm rope did you have with which Cam? I heard from one guy that his 13mm didn’t advance that well. Yours was smooth though.
I also have the Beeeeev. ‘‘Tis a sweet ride.
Nice video. Gotta say though- maybe a hard hat in your near future? ;)

moss

Can't get enough watching your saw technique in the tree, great vids. Now I want side handles both sides of my bigger saws, have run into how limiting it is having a good grab on only one side of the saw. And yeah, like you need to be told (not), yer wearing your harness belt right, harness belt should grab solid on the hip crests not be above it. I think everyone knows that, just a mix-up of terminology in the previous discussion. New Tribe harnesses prior to the Onyx and Monkey Beaver did tend to sit above the hips when you hung on them, I mod'd my NT Tengu harness hang angle when I used to climb on one so it wouldn't do that. Now on a TM for a few years, as you say, it feels like not wearing a harness, ultimate comfort for me, glad the NT MB is working out for people.
-AJ

rico

That spider jack seemed to be advancing quite nice. What mm rope did you have with which Cam? I heard from one guy that his 13mm didn’t advance that well. Yours was smooth though.
I also have the Beeeeev. ‘‘Tis a sweet ride.
Nice video. Gotta say though- maybe a hard hat in your near future? ;)
I was using 13 mm safety blue with the appropriate cam and it worked great. Glad you enjoyed the vid.

rico

Can't get enough watching your saw technique in the tree, great vids. Now I want side handles both sides of my bigger saws, have run into how limiting it is having a good grab on only one side of the saw. And yeah, like you need to be told (not), yer wearing your harness belt right, harness belt should grab solid on the hip crests not be above it. I think everyone knows that, just a mix-up of terminology in the previous discussion. New Tribe harnesses prior to the Onyx and Monkey Beaver did tend to sit above the hips when you hung on them, I mod'd my NT Tengu harness hang angle when I used to climb on one so it wouldn't do that. Now on a TM for a few years, as you say, it feels like not wearing a harness, ultimate comfort for me, glad the NT MB is working out for people.
-AJ
Other than my limbing saw I get full wrap handles on all my saws. Its the only way do go. I never liked New Tribe saddles much because they wanted to sit above my hip bones. The MB backpad reminds me of a TreeMotion in its shape and that it seems it likes being ridden below the hip bones. The Treemotion and MB are both amazing saddles and I would be happy flying either one for the rest of my days.

Last edited:

rico

Cool, good to know, I'll look into what my options are for making that change, thx.
-AJ
I see your in Jamaica Plain. Many moons ago I lived in Brookline/Cleveland Circle while my wife was getting her Masters at BC. I enjoyed my time there, but I was like a fish out of water there.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom