Mini skid steer shopping

colb

Squirrel damn you man! I’m about to spend 51 grand on one of these fucken things and you keep persuading me not to WTF?

You need to make a list of the most important characteristics that you need for your market, decide how much debt you want to take on, and find your best machine. Where are the Avant and DW dealers, btw? If they are next door, you should think about buying one of their units. If they are an hour away, the giant is on more equal footing. Have you tried a Ditch Witch SK1050? Have you tried a Giant and an Avant? Do you know the ground pressure, hinge point, length on your trailer, and speed in reverse of each of the units? Just be honest with the numbers instead of getting excited, but definitely pull the trigger on whichever machine is best. No bad options at this point unless you get a Vermeer, Boxer, Ramrod, etc...

flyingsquirrel25

Squirrel damn you man! I’m about to spend 51 grand on one of these fucken things and you keep persuading me not to WTF?
Sorry you can start drinking again then I guess :birra:.
Come down this winter when you are bored because of all the snow... well that might be next month that far north! We will still have work and grass to try and preserve!

No bad options at this point unless you get a Vermeer, Boxer, Ramrod, etc...

Or not doing anything!

flyingsquirrel25

Here I’ll just leave this here!
ED3068FF-9D63-404F-A4CB-21F47B44B255.jpeg
That lawn area between the road and chip truck saw an inch of rain last night (around midnight) and 10 or 11 trips with the DW first thing this morning to get a maple, spruce and dogwood out and chipped. We did put two mats down at the side of each tree to turn into the trees because we had to fell them down hill into the center of the yard but you wouldn’t know that we were even on it!

Stephen Moore

You need to make a list of the most important characteristics that you need for your market, decide how much debt you want to take on, and find your best machine. Where are the Avant and DW dealers, btw? If they are next door, you should think about buying one of their units. If they are an hour away, the giant is on more equal footing. Have you tried a Ditch Witch SK1050? Have you tried a Giant and an Avant? Do you know the ground pressure, hinge point, length on your trailer, and speed in reverse of each of the units? Just be honest with the numbers instead of getting excited, but definitely pull the trigger on whichever machine is best. No bad options at this point unless you get a Vermeer, Boxer, Ramrod, etc...
Avant is not for sale in BC so far as I know. The closest Giant dealer apparently is in Alberta, the next province over. There is a John Deere dealership in Salmon Arm. Not sure about Ditch Witch suppose I could inquire.

colb

Avant is not for sale in BC so far as I know. The closest Giant dealer apparently is in Alberta, the next province over. There is a John Deere dealership in Salmon Arm. Not sure about Ditch Witch suppose I could inquire.

John Deer, lol. You're really in the sticks mate! :) I would locate that dw dealer. If they are not close, it really puts the Giant on even or better footing since (I believe) they specialize in remote repairs through different shops under warranty. You don't want to drive six hours to address a warranty issue...

Jehinten

not 100% sure on the tipping capacity of my S600 but it weighs 2,450lbs. Almost all of that is counterweight, real easy to pop a wheelie without an attachment on it. I haven't given it a good workout yet, but I have loaded a 700lb pine log into the back of my chip box. It lifted it as high as the arms would go and I could step off without tipping it. That's clearly no where near the 3150 capacity of the DW, but considering it is my first mini and I used to handle wood by hand, I couldn't be happier with it. I think the hinge pin height is 83"

Found my limit yesterday. 28" diameter 9 1/2' long pin oak log. Almost picked it up but started tipping. Ended up picking up one end and placing on the trolley, then hauled the other end. Log weight calculator puts it at about 2,000lbs. I know once I add a grapple it will reduce my capacity a little with the attachment weight, but for the easy on/off the log, it will be worth the trade off. 20180803_181108.jpg

Stephen Moore

John Deer, lol. You're really in the sticks mate! :) I would locate that dw dealer. If they are not close, it really puts the Giant on even or better footing since (I believe) they specialize in remote repairs through different shops under warranty. You don't want to drive six hours to address a warranty issue...
I have a mechanic, he is a hydraulic mechanic that also repairs the giant gantry cranes in Vancouver harbour. His dad ownes the shop I get my work done at. He has every conceivable tool in that shop. 2 large lathes, break presses, sheers, pipe bender, 2 welders, plasma cutters, floor lift - the list is endless. He’s locally known as Dr. Gizmo because he can make something from nothing.
So after my bullshit dealing with Bandit with a warranty issue, I’m not gonna do small repairs on Warranty anymore, just not worth my time. And in the end it often costs more than fixing shit yourself due to shipping. So ultimately I don’t really care that the dealer be close.

southsoundtree

Found my limit yesterday. 28" diameter 9 1/2' long pin oak log. Almost picked it up but started tipping. Ended up picking up one end and placing on the trolley, then hauled the other end. Log weight calculator puts it at about 2,000lbs. I know once I add a grapple it will reduce my capacity a little with the attachment weight, but for the easy on/off the log, it will be worth the trade off. View attachment 53269
Nice,

A second guy on the mini can help.

FWIW, if you put the trolley at the end, and choke the chain closer to the machine, you won't over load the trolley as much.

1200# capacity is dead load, not rocking, bouncing, etc. The candle that burns twice as bright, burns half as long. I have worn my original tire down from heavy loads, lots of loads, and UV. One wheel mysteriously disappeared one day, so had to replace it, already.

If you're right on the edge of not being able to pick it up, you can add capacity by moving forward and lifting and keeping it going. You might wheelie, and need to drop it, and start again.

Free-hand or chainsaw mill ripping will make any log half the weight in one pass.

Fivepoints

That does seem to work very well. Kinda makes you want to split those junk trees like that and run the splits through a chipper to get rid of it. We can get rid of chips all day long for free but no one wants a bunch of pine logs.

flyingsquirrel25

That does seem to work very well. Kinda makes you want to split those junk trees like that and run the splits through a chipper to get rid of it. We can get rid of chips all day long for free but no one wants a bunch of pine logs.

Yupper, sent a 20” tulip poplar tree through our 15” chipper with one split. 20 feet long :). Problem is I need a bigger/second truck for all the chips. It certainly scares me though knowing how much crap homeowners put in the bottom of trees.

flyingsquirrel25

interesting. maybe twice as fast or more, than cutting down to 24" and hydraulic splitter.
I like less time on a chainsaw to
:numberone:

Sooo much faster than blocking it up, less saw dust to clean up and certainly WAY faster than ripping it. Even with having to change implements. Also once it’s split we have loaded the trailer or fed the chipper with the auger. Screw it in just befor it splits pick it up and away you go. If you are feeding the chipper you want someone at the stop controls to give you time to get away from it.

southsoundtree

Yupper, sent a 20” tulip poplar tree through our 15” chipper with one split. 20 feet long :). Problem is I need a bigger/second truck for all the chips. It certainly scares me though knowing how much crap homeowners put in the bottom of trees.

The homeowner is footing the disposal bill, if bid right. They are not at all paying if you destroy your machine. Seems like a bit of Russian Roulette. A quality metal detector seems like its worthwhile. I was reading a thread entitled Chipper Carnage elsewhere. $10K in damage, plus downtime can happen.

flyingsquirrel25

The homeowner is footing the disposal bill, if bid right. They are not at all paying if you destroy your machine. Seems like a bit of Russian Roulette. A quality metal detector seems like its worthwhile. I was reading a thread entitled Chipper Carnage elsewhere. $10K in damage, plus downtime can happen.

I felt confident this tulip poplar was clean. But you are absolutely correct. In this case we had the opportunity to leave the job with everything on and not have to come back for a piece of wood or the skid steer. And I took the chance in the unused corner of the side yard (also not the kinda house/owner that you would expect to be screwing crap into trees, if you know what I mean :envidioso). At some point I’ll get another truck and we won’t have to try and squeeze all the heavy crap on one!

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom