Lithium powered saws?

JeffGu

Wow. My Echo saws always start, will idle regardless of the outside temperatures, have plenty of power. In fact, I've never had any of them in the shop. Same goes for the PPT-280 pole pruner (which I bought when my 2nd Stihl HT-131 went tits up) and my SRM-280S string trimmers.

Really, I love my Stihl saws, the Dolmar... but the Echo saws are the only ones I own that I don't have to constantly re-tune when the weather changes. The Husqvarna and Shindaiwa trimmers both give me headaches at times, but the Echo never does. The Echo products have been good to me, especially considering the price point.

I'm truly surprised that you've had so much trouble with them.

Serf Life

Wow. My Echo saws always start, will idle regardless of the outside temperatures, have plenty of power. In fact, I've never had any of them in the shop. Same goes for the PPT-280 pole pruner (which I bought when my 2nd Stihl HT-131 went tits up) and my SRM-280S string trimmers.

Really, I love my Stihl saws, the Dolmar... but the Echo saws are the only ones I own that I don't have to constantly re-tune when the weather changes. The Husqvarna and Shindaiwa trimmers both give me headaches at times, but the Echo never does. The Echo products have been good to me, especially considering the price point.

Same, never put either echo I own in the shop. Had to tune the 355 during the break-in time, never since. Never used their bigger saws (over 60cc) so perhaps they suck?

Serf Life

I've been using old school ropeclips mounted as rigidly as possible to my MS200T's flimsy little wireclip.

And it does allow me to attach or detach from my saddle ring or D onehanded. But not as easily as I'd like to.

One thing about usin electric over gas, I can't hang my saw in the tree anymore usin the starter cord n rope clip!

Gotta break out a speedline loop n biner now.

Jemco View attachment 62817
Looks like some excessive weight to add to the rear. Agreed the clips are annoying though.

Joeybagodonuts

Lol alright bud...so in short you really love the echo brand
Yup! You guessed it Mower!! I'm a secret Echo fanatic!! Just insulating myself from brand shaming...Haha..

I can't really comment extensively on the pole saws other than I've experienced headaches from both the pro-grade stihl & the big box echos.. However, the performance difference between the Echo pole saws I've used & the Stihl HT-136 (is that the correct model?) isn't even comparable.. the power that stihl pole saw has is enourmous.. it's like having a 200t strapped to a pole.. personally, i haven't seen anything from Echo come even close to it, none of the ones i was force fed anyways.

I also, haven't bought or used anything Echo in about three years or so.. so maybe something has changed? I just see a bunch of marketing claims from their site with absolutely 0 useful data to back it up.. If there was actual bph/hp, chain speed, max rpm, etc, for any of their saws i might be able to make a better judgement on their current status.. but for now all i have is the past 15 years or so of Echo experiences to go by, which I've clearly voiced already... Haha.

JeffGu

I'm sorry to hear that. I've had two of the HT-131 polesaws from Stihl, and bought the Echo PPT-280 in 2016 after I had to rent another HT-131 while mine was in the shop. Shop decided it was dead, so I went to my Stihl/Echo dealer and played with them side by side. He is pretty cool dealer... keeps logs and big branches out in the alley, and actually mounts limbs to the roof so you can test anything he sells. He recommended the Echo over the Stihl, and I liked it better, so I bought one. It's about the same price as the Stihl.

I have never done a repair on it or had to tune it up in the 3 years I've had it. Poles are much better than the Stihl, more reach, and the Echo has better low end grunt. The biggest thing is what happens if it gets pinched in the cut and comes down with the limb. I've destroyed the Stihl poles when that happened. But the Echo is none the worse for the wear, and I have had this happen when I had the 4-foot extension attached. It's got 17' of reach with that. 23' including my own reach.

I absolutely love that tool. It's the one product that both companies make that I believe Echo has the clear winner. I was a HUGE fan of the HT-131, despite the problems I had, until I bought the Echo.

Joeybagodonuts

I'm sorry to hear that. I've had two of the HT-131 polesaws from Stihl, and bought the Echo PPT-280 in 2016 after I had to rent another HT-131 while mine was in the shop. Shop decided it was dead, so I went to my Stihl/Echo dealer and played with them side by side. He is pretty cool dealer... keeps logs and big branches out in the alley, and actually mounts limbs to the roof so you can test anything he sells. He recommended the Echo over the Stihl, and I liked it better, so I bought one. It's about the same price as the Stihl.

I have never done a repair on it or had to tune it up in the 3 years I've had it. Poles are much better than the Stihl, more reach, and the Echo has better low end grunt. The biggest thing is what happens if it gets pinched in the cut and comes down with the limb. I've destroyed the Stihl poles when that happened. But the Echo is none the worse for the wear, and I have had this happen when I had the 4-foot extension attached. It's got 17' of reach with that. 23' including my own reach.

I absolutely love that tool. It's the one product that both companies make that I believe Echo has the clear winner. I was a HUGE fan of the HT-131, despite the problems I had, until I bought the Echo.

Sounds like a good guy at your dealer... Nothing better than knowing what your money will or won't get you..

You were saying your Echo has more grunt than the 131? That's an interesting assessment, what do you think it is that is giving that advantage? Is it just geared really low & compromises on the top end? I ask because on paper, it doesn't make sense to me. The Stihl has 7 more cc's & I'm sure you've heard the good ole saying, "there's no replacement for displacement"...
+ In the smaller power head OPE world, 7cc is a decent jump in power, especially in a pro-grade tool. I'm sure you know exactly what I'm talking about.. so what gives?

Speaking of poles.. have you ever tried any of the models that have the bar canted at an angle? I'm curious if that design is going to catch on, or if it's a fail. On paper it makes sense, supposedly keeping the bar from getting pinched. I'm sure it's not a cure-all but it looks like it could be beneficial.

JeffGu

"there's no replacement for displacement"...

Yeah, that has always bothered me that when I use it on bigger wood, it doesn't bog down like the HT131 which has a bigger engine. Porting? Better drive train in the Echo? I really don't know, but I'm not the only that's noticed it. Everyone around here usually uses the Stihl power polesaws, but when I've let buddies try the Echo, they all notice it. The first thing they notice, though, is the poles stiffness... with it out to 17' there's flex, but no sag. Of course, it gets heavy with it extended that far, but it's tolerable from the ground. Too much for in the tree or bucket, at that length.

...looks like it could be beneficial.

From the ground, I think that might be a good thing. In the tree or from a bucket, probably not so much. Still, I'd really like to try one sometime. Might make undercuts doable from the ground, which is really hard to do with a straight bar.

colb

Cool showdown video between the not-echo/stihl/husky lithium saws, as compared to an ms170 gas saw. Nice to see the ryobi and makita saws for my first time... Mostly respectable performances.

I'm realizing the cause of my surprise at how infrequently I have to change my milwaukee battery - it lasts all day on crane removal day. On lithium jobsite day, I can operate a chain pole saw, ground saw, and blower and not go through my 5 (2x 5.0Ah, 2x 9.0 Ah, 1x 12.0 Ah) batteries. On the downside, I'm obviously going to be lagging in pine. At least I know now, lol.

If I was choosing a system based on ground saws only I would choose the dewalt or makita. Well, I would choose husky/stihl/echo, to be fair. The amount of battery use is not an issue for me on the ground - I'd be just fine showing up with 10 makita batteries or 5 dewalt batteries and switching them out as needed.

Since these saws are system-predicated choices, I am fine with my milwaukee ground saw since it performs well in hardwoods (I do more hardwood) and the charge lasts for a long time. I get the superhawg drill along with it. I'm still not aware of a competitor to the superhawg. At days end, I knew that I was buying a "battery system" saw and that contributes nicely to my productivity.

Lastly, I don't see how milwaukee can make a legit tophandle saw. They are running heavy with that 12.0Ah battery that dissipates heat so well. They can't double that up like makita does because it would be too heavy. This makes me think more about jumping in for a t535ixp instead of waiting indefinitely for milwaukee to put out a tophandle.

Reactions: ATH

Merle Nelson

Now a T540i XP......and it is worth trying. With its new chain specs and added torque rips. Find someone who has one to test out.

By the way, anyone interested, my Husky dealer said they now have bar, chain, and sprocket combos available for other Husky and Stihl saws. (Of this newer more agressive cutting chain.)

colb

Now a T540i XP......and it is worth trying. With its new chain specs and added torque rips. Find someone who has one to test out.

By the way, anyone interested, my Husky dealer said they now have bar, chain, and sprocket combos available for other Husky and Stihl saws. (Of this newer more agressive cutting chain.)
How many batteries to do it right?

Merle Nelson

2 200x batts will get you by fine for prunning. I usually only use a bit more than one battery by lunch. One charcges while the other is in use.

I cut a 16 inch pine tree in rounds cut after cut. Battery lasted about 12 minutes. So.....not a firewood saw.

stheis004

has anyone tried out the Milwaukee M12 Hatchet yet? Perhaps another contender to the silky handsaw like the small tophandle makita...looks a bit awkward in hand from the looks of it to me

Reach

has anyone tried out the Milwaukee M12 Hatchet yet? Perhaps another contender to the silky handsaw like the small tophandle makita...looks a bit awkward in hand from the looks of it to me
I’ve had one in my hand, but haven’t tried it yet. It feels good to hold, and looks like it might be a decent little pruner, but rather limited use due to its tiny little bar.

SumoClimber

I picked up the M12 Hatchet somewhat recently, haven't done a lot of cutting with it yet. I'm probably going to make a scabbard for it so I can holster it on my lawnmower, lol.

Couple observations:
Its a high torque motor with low chain speed. What does that exactly mean? Well, personal experience, I can't cut with the top of the bar. It digs in and pushes. Use the bottom side and let the spikes grab and do the work. Probably going to make a set of "real" spikes for it next time I hit up my buddy w the welding shop and can wheedle some time on the plaz.

Honestly, it's damn near impossible to run 2 handed. The placement of the off hand rest is awkward, to say the least. Really should come with an armored glove for your off hand.

I am looking forward to hillside jobs next year with it rather than a machete or axe. Can't use a brush cutter because of the angle, going up you'd have the blade at head height, going down you'd need an extra extension.(my brushy is a Stihl Kombi)

Speaking of off hand, this is the first chainsaw I've ever used that is lefty-compatible.

I think it has points where it is going to be useful(like I said, mower mount saw and hillsides), but it's honestly more Proof-of-concept to me. I would love to see almost the same saw body in the m18 line. Redesign the off hand, specifically to add a chain brake and a removable accessory handle along the lines of those used for the hammer drills. Longer bar options as well, of course.

Reach

Hey, guys, I want to know your honest opinion, is lithium powered saws and trimmers really worth the hype? I mean there is a noise difference but is it really a big deal when you are making so much noise anyway? Also, lithium-powered is more expensive but I've heard that if you use different battery tools of the same company, the battery is interchangeable. Could this synergy save you money and be worthwhile in a long run? Anyway here “IRRELEVANT LINK HERE” I've checked some trimmers, gas and corded, what do you guys think of them?
I think your post looks a lot like spam, with the link to a site that has nothing to do with trees. You might want to remove the link or replace it with something relevant.

Redikuluss

I think your post looks a lot like spam, with the link to a site that has nothing to do with trees. You might want to remove the link or replace it with something relevant.
I've just asked for advice here and if you don't know the answer, you don't need to insult me

Reach

I've just asked for advice here and if you don't know the answer, you don't need to insult me
I do not mean my comment to be insulting, but this site has frequent new “members” who show up, write one post with a link to something completely unrelated to trees for the sole purpose of back-linking a site to provide legitimacy to a website no one has ever heard of. Your post, at time of my reply, had a link to a site rating soldering irons. Now the link has been changed to one about string trimmers, also not related to trees, hence my suspicion.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts
Top Bottom