Grigri vs. Grillon

emr

I like it. That is the same as what I use except my snap is steel and the rope is KMIII.

JeffL

I saw that trick just the other day doing one of the arbormaster courses, the prussic at the end of the lanyard for choking it off on stems, good stuff! Will make positioning on big stems a lot nicer in the future without having to double wrap!

banjo

[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe you guys use those bigass heavy things for lanyard adjusters!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that setup is way to expensive for a lanyard.

southsoundtree

Seems like a long rope lanyard with a hitch adjuster would be good for DdRT. If so inclined to descend SRT using it as a second climbline, add in a friction reducer, a la F8 revolver, or probably a munter hitch below the friction hitch might work. Only requires one extra biner, most shapes would work OK for this partial weight rappel hitch. This munter hitch to add to the friction hitch is armchair climbology. Just a thought that I had.

A person should be able to ascent with a foot ascender, probably a foot lock, or a full turn of rope around the foot with a bent leg, and extend your leg.

Treeman805

The grigri and grillon are both very good tools to have in the gear bag. The only bad thing about them is they do not meet the 22.5kn needed for tree work, and comps, they both come in at 14kn. You might say its used for a flipline (second line) but it becomes your primary when your lifeline is advanced or moved. I use them all time and that 14kn limit made me rethink the risk we all climb with.

P.S. CLIMB SMART
GO USA IN THE ITCC

robinia

[ QUOTE ]
The grigri and grillon are both very good tools to have in the gear bag. The only bad thing about them is they do not meet the 22.5kn needed for tree work, and comps, they both come in at 14kn. You might say its used for a flipline (second line) but it becomes your primary when your lifeline is advanced or moved. I use them all time and that 14kn limit made me rethink the risk we all climb with.

P.S. CLIMB SMART
GO USA IN THE ITCC

[/ QUOTE ]

OK now that's troubling.
I use a grillion lanyard and now I'm wonderering if I am non-compliant with CSA or industry standards???!??
Not to mention the Sequoia rated at only 15kN?!?
Presumable this means a grigri/grillion is a not exceptable as an SRT anchor?

Murph

I would say no. The grillion lacks a release lever to provide the extra leverage necessary when lowering a climber under tension. It wouldn't be 'unsafe' but certainly undesirable.

Tree-Taylor

I actually just got a brand new grillon and for some reason it has the release lever on it instead of the knob. It looks exactly like the grigri but it is stamped grillon on the side plate. I'm asking because I have no use for it as a lanyard adjuster but I'd love to use it as a belay device for wall climbing.

Tree-Taylor

Well thankfully a trusty phillips can take that screw right out in seconds. The screw is there to hold the plates together to capture the rope when a biner isn't on the device. Now that we've gotten past that issue...

robinia

I've understood that 'Grillon' refers just as much to the whole setup - grigri/grillon + lenght of rope = 'Grillion' Lanyard.

In the Petzl catalog (although this is going back a while) different length of ropes have the grillon with either a knob OR a lever, dependant on the predetermined overall length.

Coconut

To answer your original question; they are identical devices marketed for different applications. One has a lever handle for easier belaying or lowering and one has a stupid little screw to hold the body closed.

VoodooViolinist

So I got a grillon lanyard for $40 bucks, mostly to fuck with the grillon and to elaborate, the big difference is one has a spring loaded cam and the other does not. What I found I was able to do with the Grillon, not the gri gri, was use it with my Rope Wrench (I finally got one!!!) and it more or less functions as a RopeRunner now? The lack of a spring allows the cam on the Grillon to engage with 1lb of force (as you guys said) and grabs instantly and the rope wrench takes the heat off enough to make the Grillon smooth as butter. Got to try it out tonight for the first time after work and yeah, piece mealed rope runner, XD.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom