GRCS Mistake & Failure (video found online)

rico

Just curious, and I have zero experience with either device, but was your GRCS setup with a block above it for a fairlead or did it load near the end of the winch like in the Strider video?
Yep. The GRCS was being top loaded when it turned to shrapnel. Both the Hobbs and the GRCS MUST always be top loaded. Side loading them is a bone-headed maneuver, and will lead to disaster.

Last edited:

colb

The strap was set on a tapered trunk without notching in the baseplate and straps
And the strap was set horizontal, or with the grcs side lower than the other side. The grcs should always be slightly higher. I do not think it would have made a difference in this case - that taper is way too much for a grcs install...

Kind of weird to see guys dressed like that making a handful of critical mistakes like that. I wonder if the grcs was on its maiden voyage at that company...

Stumpsprouts

Just want to make it clear this had nothing to do with the failings of the GRCS. If you read the description underneath the video it says :

“Negative rigged a 10 foot long 24 inch catalpa log. Cranked out the slack and locked it off in a GRCS with the winch attachment. Do not lock off the winch, not a legit rigging tactic.

Log was too big for the rigging set up. Should have taken it smaller or used a porta wrap instead.

In hindsight, I think we should have used a porta and taken it in two.

It was the last cut of a giant, underbid, removal. Not our best day.”

So yeah. Just a very, very bad idea and misuse of the tool that luckily did not end in any injuries.

owScott

As been stated the device was on the taper. Also this resulted in the device being at an angle not 90 degrees to the direction of pull causing the device to act like a level. If you cant get the device flat I carve away some trunk to get it flat. Also that guys half hitch and knot were way to close to each other and the end of the log. He is lucky the log didnt come off the line. That could have gotten way uglier. Think if that strap came unhooked and the device went all the way to the lowering point with enough force to swing up into the climber.

Last edited:

Bendroctanus

I thought getting a protos and any popular chainsaw pants meant I knew I was doing! Shucks! $600+ for nothing!
I know what you mean @colb . Unfortunately, it’s very easy to look the part.

Chaplain242

And the strap was set horizontal, or with the grcs side lower than the other side. The grcs should always be slightly higher. I do not think it would have made a difference in this case - that taper is way too much for a grcs install...

Kind of weird to see guys dressed like that making a handful of critical mistakes like that. I wonder if the grcs was on its maiden voyage at that company...
I thought getting a protos and any popular chainsaw pants meant I knew I was doing! Shucks! $600+ for nothing!
I know what you mean @colb . Unfortunately, it’s very easy to look the part.
Very educational video though...

Jonny

Saw someone’s homemade bollard come apart at that critical moment. Just a sharp “ PING!”. Nothing so soft and fleshy as a person would’ve slowed it down. It would’ve ripped the climber’s head off if he’d been in the way. The base and strap were still where they belonged. The piece smooshed a chain link fence rail.

Bendroctanus

Saw someone’s homemade bollard come apart at that critical moment. Just a sharp “ PING!”. Nothing so soft and fleshy as a person would’ve slowed it down. It would’ve ripped the climber’s head off if he’d been in the way. The base and strap were still where they belonged.
“...homemade bollard...” not sure if I’m impressed or terrified by that.

evo

Saw someone’s homemade bollard come apart at that critical moment. Just a sharp “ PING!”. Nothing so soft and fleshy as a person would’ve slowed it down. It would’ve ripped the climber’s head off if he’d been in the way. The base and strap were still where they belonged. The piece smooshed a chain link fence rail.

Yikes! I was once on a job where the boss subbed a bunch of brush mowing with a medium to large skid loader with one of those rotary cutter wheels not unlike the ‘old-school’ lush lawn mowers. He hit a old Tee post and shot it 300’ away and hit a moving car in the driver door. Lucky it hit lengthwise and taco’d the door a bit..

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts
Top Bottom