GRCS Mistake & Failure (video found online)

27RMT0N

https://www.reddit.com/r/arborists/comments/ncmd2i
(never tried sharing an online video this way before, lets see if it works)

I just came across this online a few minutes ago, it isn't me. The reason for failure is very obvious as far as I'm concerned and the crew should have seen it coming a mile away, but I'll refrain from commenting to let this thread takes its course. Kudos to them for sharing their mistake at least.

Jonny

The thing comes with an amazing bollard for negative rigging like that. I don’t know why the winch was on there.

I don’t see it though, what failed to make the whole thing come up? Strap too loose?

RyanCafferky

I’ve had my GRCS move a few times but never had one ride up the tree like that. Since I bought the visor plate attachment the rubber feet on the GRCS have lasted way longer and even if you go big, the GRCS is not going to move. Notching the tree makes a huge difference. Especially if the visor plate is in a kerf.

Last edited:

Chaplain242

There’s another video doing the rounds where the GRCS was being used with a horizontal line sideways (not through the topside guide hook) and the entire winch bollard ripped off the plate...

Reactions: evo

27RMT0N

There’s another video doing the rounds where the GRCS was being used with a horizontal line sideways (not through the topside guide hook) and the entire winch bollard ripped off the plate...

I believe you are talking about this one, right?

rico

Looks similar to my old GRCS. We asked the overpriced and overhyped GRCS to do something our Hobbs have done a hundred times, and it turned into fucking shrapnel. Thanks, but I think I will stick with my trusty Hobbs devices.

Screen Shot 2021-05-15 at 5.36.50 AM.png IMG_3543.jpeg

Last edited:

flushcut

The GRCS is NOT over hyped or over priced (maybe) the winch was never meant to catch big wood in a dynamic situation. In a pure lifting static situation the GCRS is vastly superior to the HOBBS. The HOBBS on the other hand is purpose built to take big wood while negative rigging. And they sell this amazing attachment called The Visor to keep the GRCS in place while catching big wood with the bombproof aluminum bollard.
That video was operator error all around.

rico

For a small upcharge ($100+) you can by a super awesome attachment that will make the $2900 GRCS actually stay in place while negative rigging? $3000 is basically what I payed for 2 Hobbs devices, and they somehow manage to stay in place when we are beating the bejeezus out of them..So yea, IMHO the GRCS is both overpriced and overhyped.

Last edited:

flushcut

A guy with a welder can make one for a few $ or cut in a notch in the trunk for the device to fit into or tighten the strap properly.
And where did you find that deal, 2 HOBBS for 3g's? It's been a while since I have been around a HOBBS but don't they have a small visor already built in?

Jehinten

Looks similar to my old GRCS. We asked the overpriced and overhyped GRCS to do something our Hobbs have done a hundred times, and it turned into fucking shrapnel. Thanks, but I think I will stick with my trusty Hobbs devices.

View attachment 75667 View attachment 75669
Just curious, and I have zero experience with either device, but was your GRCS setup with a block above it for a fairlead or did it load near the end of the winch like in the Strider video?

rico

It's been a while since I have been around a HOBBS but don't they have a small visor already built in?
My point exactly...The Hobbs does its job without the need for more bits & bobs and additional costs...For $2900 your figure the good folks at GRCS would make a lowering device that actually stays in place when your lowering heavy weights...It is a lowering device after all.

Last edited:

evo

For a small upcharge ($100+) you can by a super awesome attachment that will make the $2900 GRCS actually stay in place while negative rigging? $3000 is basically what I payed for 2 Hobbs devices, and they somehow manage to stay in place when we are beating the bejeezus out of them..So yea, IMHO the GRCS is both overpriced and overhyped.

I forget what I paid, I wish I could post videos but I’m considering getting a second GRCS. I winch things, I don’t drop big wood though. https://www.instagram.com/p/COMNWSuFZUh/?igshid=107cy46h1omlp

Top Bottom