Granberg Alaskan Mill - what to start with?

Njdelaney

Branched out member
That is an almost exact knockoff of the smallest Granberg. If you want to do one or two small projects and can really take your time it will work ok. You may get more use out of it in softwood but it is really not up to much more than that. The fact that it only has one clamp, oriented by the powerhead, allows the bar to flex and walk away or towards the carriage out at the tip. If you want to mill even one large log into slabs I suggest a mill with a clamp on both ends. This requires a longer bar, bigger saw, etc. I've milled around 100 logs, ranging from 10" to 30" diameter and from 30" to 10' long so I wouldn't say I'm an expert but have learned plenty from making mistakes.

That is an almost exact knockoff of the smallest Granberg. If you want to do one or two small projects and can really take your time it will work ok. You may get more use out of it in softwood but it is really not up to much more than that. The fact that it only has one clamp, oriented by the powerhead, allows the bar to flex and walk away or towards the carriage out at the tip. If you want to mill even one large log into slabs I suggest a mill with a clamp on both ends. This requires a longer bar, bigger saw, etc. I've milled around 100 logs, ranging from 10" to 30" diameter and from 30" to 10' long so I wouldn't say I'm an expert but have learned plenty from making mistakes.
Thanks.
I think I should ask a different question: is it even worth considering cheap knockoffs or just go with the original Granberg? (assuming I will use it for years)

Also, I will be getting 90cc Husqvarna chainsaw with 36 inches bar. What model of Granberg do you recommend? The one that says 36 inches bar or just in case I should get bigger one?

The biggest log I have right now is about 28” in diameter but I hope to grow:)

Thanks a lot.

Njdelaney

Branched out member
I think a knock-off can work just fine, these aren't complicated devices. I bought a Panther Mill which is made in Florida. They are steel so lots heavier but more durable. Wait time from payment to receiving the mill was really long and customer service was unfriendly at best, but the product is good. Only gripe is no indexing marks on the carriage itself. Be aware that you'll lose about 6" of milling capacity so if you get a mill for a 36" bar, you'll be able to mill up to about 30" logs. De-barking becomes important when you get close to your max diameter. Hope this answers your question a bit better.

Bendroctanus

Participating member
So you are inquiring as to whether an Alaskan mill would be a better option for milling than a Woodmizer bandsaw mill. No offense, but that is about as clueless as it gets and a strong indication that you guys have no clue as to what you are getting into..

I would strongly suggest that you and your dad spend some serious time with local folks who are doing what you plan on doing... Learn from others before jumping into this endeavor.

Do you have a clue how the fall timber, and buck logs to yield the most board footage? Do you have a clue how to most efficiently skid logs, while causing the least impact on the land? Do you have a clue how to properly break down a log when milling to create the best lumber with the highest yield? These are just some of the things you and your dad MUST know, or the learning curve is gonna be very steep and very expensive.

View attachment 75553 View attachment 75554 View attachment 75555 View attachment 75556 View attachment 75557 View attachment 75558 View attachment 75559 View attachment 75560
@rico do you have an videos of you running that Lucas mill of yours?

colb

Been here a while
I think a knock-off can work just fine, these aren't complicated devices. I bought a Panther Mill which is made in Florida. They are steel so lots heavier but more durable. Wait time from payment to receiving the mill was really long and customer service was unfriendly at best, but the product is good. Only gripe is no indexing marks on the carriage itself. Be aware that you'll lose about 6" of milling capacity so if you get a mill for a 36" bar, you'll be able to mill up to about 30" logs. De-barking becomes important when you get close to your max diameter. Hope this answers your question a bit better.
Doesn't the panther mill have bolts that go through the bar to keep the bar in place? I know my bar will walk out of the clamps on the granberg under certain circumstances.

Njdelaney

Branched out member
Doesn't the panther mill have bolts that go through the bar to keep the bar in place? I know my bar will walk out of the clamps on the granberg under certain circumstances.
Mine does not have thru-bolts. It has two clamps and so far I haven't had any movement while milling with an 066 and a 32" bar.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom