"Dynamic" rope for specific SRT uses in relevance to anchor safety

SoftBankHawks

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here, I searched and didnt find anything too specific.

I'm a huge fan of redundancy and am always looking for ways to increase my safety barrier while climbing. Especially since I am mostly self teaching SRT in my work.

Now, I was wondering if any of you scholarly tree folk could speak to the safety of arb specific static and dynamic ropes on an anchor point (i.e 1.4% elongation vs something like 4%). I was climbing a burr oak the other day with no obvious main lead, there were about 4 or 5 vertical leads about 10 degrees off-center all of the same height. I trusted the anchor because I know the species enough but this got me thinking about situations like this with more brittle species that I am less familiar with. Normally I would just immediately set redirects to share the load a bit but if that's not possible, I'm just wondering if a more dynamic rope would increase the safety net on my anchor a noticeable amount. There are infinite situations in tree work of course, and if I see something I don't trust I'm not climbing the fuckin thing and I'm okay with walking away from stuff. But there are just so many situations where confidence may be there but some dark side of you thinks about the what if. I'd just like to know I'm doing everything I can. I can suffer thru a climb on some rubber band shit rope if its gonna add a level of safety :b

Excuse the longwinded thing and it might be day one stuff, but I get alot out of hearing from you all that have more experience than I.
This is a great conversation. SRS mechanicals like the Rope Runner and Bulldog Bone tend to slip at fairly low loads, much lower than most assume to be dangerous, 6kN. The 6kN figure is specific to SIT harnesses (I think), from memory Parachute harnesses protect up to 12kN. The easiest way to put movement in your system is to make it dynamic at the rope or the way the rope lays over the tree. Higher bendier branches will move more. But this can be a real ball ache for precise work positions when tying rope and cutting branches. Using a mechanical belay on a more static line keeps the redundancy quiet. Any thing that is set at the branch (anchor) will have a fair chance of not deploying due to unwanted resistance in the rope between the climber and anchor. If you are having trouble working out how best to set anchors in different trees then this is a different conversation. And a big part of that conversation is learnt through years of setting ropes in trees. For what it’s worth I completely recommend using two SRS systems, two independent lines, two independent anchors. I’ve recently written an article about it, I’ll put a link up when it is released on the blog.

southsoundtree

No world records here, but I have also learned that on very long ascents (300 ft + of rope in system) a little bounce can help... If you get into a rhythm and use the bounce to you advantage it can make very long ascents easier on your body....
How does this affect the redirection point with sawing back and forth with the rope?

Is this rope-walking or foot-locking?

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom