Covid Close To You

evo

I'm curious what working conditions are like for crews, currently.

I haven't hired because of it.

Iron isn't susceptible.
Super hard to manage, bids are a shitshow and everyone’s has their opinions.
The crew isn’t on board, two dudes who just want to get it and get it over with..
needless to say my stress levels are through the fucken roof

Reach

I'm curious what working conditions are like for crews, currently.

I haven't hired because of it.

Iron isn't susceptible.
We have not had any problems with our working conditions, but we are can’t seem to find any help! We see it as we all work outside, generally spaced pretty far apart, and with very little contact with our customers, so we consider the ours to be a very low risk workplace.

Bart_

Canadian milestone yesterday in the news, first 10,000 Covid deaths, think Stateside was 256,000. Our case numbers are up x4 or x5 over the best stretch in the summer and lock downs are re-occurring in hot spots. Record high numbers all over the world, hospital overloading beginning again.

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
A friend of mine's father in law died yesterday from C19. Years ago he ran a small engine shop that I did business with. Then along comes my friend, another arbo, who met his daughter. He was in the at-risk group because of age and previous health issues.

Sad loss.

• Wow
Reactions: evo

Bart_

Reached a quarter million dead today, broke record 1700 deaths in one day.

Saw that masks now shown to protect you @70%, not just someone else you might breathe on. Gives a little more peace of mind.

Tuebor

240,000 today. broke a record 1400 in one day. don't be one of the unfortunate souls.
Remember in March when researchers estimated something like 86,000 Americans might die by the end of the year, and everyone laughed?

Bart_

Stateside is still about 20% of the world's covid with I think 5% of the population, i.e. the per capita is ridiculously higher than the rest of the world. And the graphs are X-games jump ramps. Golf, anyone? Yeah, that's a dig.

• Haha
Reactions: evo

evo

Stateside is still about 20% of the world's covid with I think 5% of the population, i.e. the per capita is ridiculously higher than the rest of the world. And the graphs are X-games jump ramps. Golf, anyone? Yeah, that's a dig.
We're fucked.... the bodies are going to start piling up very soon.

Bucknut

At times I feel the need to inject a tiny bit of sanity into these conversations. If you’re currently panicking over COVID, maybe this will help. But probably not:

If you multiply the current number of dead by 13 times, you would still be at LESS THAN ONE PERCENT of the US population.

Gotta keep some perspective. Start by tuning out the “Chicken Littles” in the media. It’s hard- they’re everywhere.

rico

Speaking of "chicken little" I wonder how many rounds of golf Donny has played since attending his last Covid task force meeting? I wonder how many Americans have died on American soil since the last time Donny bothered to showed up for one of those meetings? In his defense Donny has been very busy losing his shit on twitter and probably didn't have the time for such strifflin' matters as 258,000 dead Americans.

Come to think of it I wonder if any of the kids who took Old Bone Spur's place in Vietnam ending up making the ultimate sacrifice? Fucking suckers...

I am also struggling to find out if chickens can actually get bone spurs?

Last edited:

evo

Speaking of "chicken little" I wonder how many rounds of golf Donny has played since attending his last Covid task force meeting? I wonder how many Americans have died on American soil since the last time Donny bothered to showed up for one of those meetings? In his defense Donny has been very busy loosing his shit on twitter and probably didn't have the time for such strifflin' matters as 258,000 dead Americans.

Come to think of it I wonder if any of the kids who took Old Bone Spur's place in Vietnam ending up making the ultimate sacrifice? Fucking suckers...

I am also struggling to find out if chickens can actually get bone spurs?
Only roosters... vicious little fuckers

Stumpsprouts

At times I feel the need to inject a tiny bit of sanity into these conversations. If you’re currently panicking over COVID, maybe this will help. But probably not:

If you multiply the current number of dead by 13 times, you would still be at LESS THAN ONE PERCENT of the US population.

Gotta keep some perspective. Start by tuning out the “Chicken Littles” in the media. It’s hard- they’re everywhere.
I’d recommend reaching out to folks in hospitals and morgues and ask them if these numbers are as worrisome as the Chicken Littles are making it out to be. I’m sure they would be happy to give you some perspective on this subject.

I kept them in mind when I decided to cancel my trip to see my family.

Bart_

2,000 dead in single day. Hit 260,000 total on news. Is my math right, 10,000 in Saturday to Tuesday? Maybe the death toll will challenge WW2 after all.

Don't be scared , be smart calm cool collected - distance, mask, washing, rational vigilance , pretty easy tasks. If you see some maskless guy breathing at you just give them some space. If he's misting all over the food counter get out of Dodge and buy lunch somewhere else.

DSMc

2,000 dead in single day. Hit 260,000 total on news. Is my math right,...

Not really. Looking at postings for a day does not verify they died that day. Look at how the data cycles by day of the week. That is why they do weekly averages.

People need to keep in mind that these numbers, as horrible as they look and are, are not that far off from what is normal in our country.

"In 2017, an average of 7,708 deaths occurred each day. January, February, and December were the months with the highest average daily number of deaths (8,478, 8,351, and 8,344, respectively). June, July, and August were the months with the lowest average daily number of deaths (7,298, 7,157, and 7,158, respectively)."

evo

Not really. Looking at postings for a day does not verify they died that day. Look at how the data cycles by day of the week. That is why they do weekly averages.

People need to keep in mind that these numbers, as horrible as they look and are, are not that far off from what is normal in our country.

"In 2017, an average of 7,708 deaths occurred each day. January, February, and December were the months with the highest average daily number of deaths (8,478, 8,351, and 8,344, respectively). June, July, and August were the months with the lowest average daily number of deaths (7,298, 7,157, and 7,158, respectively)."
So essentially COVID doubles our normal death rate? That is pretty huge to have one single thing double the amount of people who die

Njdelaney

Yeah this IS a big deal because this represents additional deaths. Would some of the dead have died this year of other things? Yes. Would some have lived another 5 years? Yes. Would some have lived another 40-50 years? Yes. Here's something that would NOT have happened though; nearly every person who died with Covid in a hospital setting died with NO family around them. They died with their nurse in the room if they were lucky. That's alot of sad, lonely death and it shouldn't be minimized. The impact of this on caregivers and loved ones can't be chalked up to statistics. Maybe living in a state or area with low population density where you just don't see it front and center insulates a person from reality but for those of us who live in an urban setting, which is most people, we see the impact. We don't need to find ways to "put this into perspective", we need to find ways to stop it and prevent it from happening again. That's where our effort and discussion should be focused.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom