Covid Close To You

Bart_

What's up Stateside in your neck of the woods? On the news records are being broken every day for numbers of sick people. Between a quarter and a third of the whole world's cases. Heading for 150,000 dead people. Hard to fathom. Do you see the folks around you just not taking it seriously? Holy cow.

Be concerned and take care of you and yours.

JD3000

Most well-known member
Guy in the liquor store just ignored the 6' stickers on the floor at check out and of course had no mask on

SomethingWitty

Arkansawyer
People who have the fundamental position that all people are good and should all live very long lives are so irritating.
This plague has been beyond disappointing. The reaction of people I once respected has been world-shattering.

The numbers are inflated, but even 150k is less than ten percent of what they were saying was going to happen.
Half of the people in this country being so afraid of the certainty of death has been stopping all of us from living for so long.
It's not worth it. It wasn't, and it won't be.

Living every day for the finale of a TV series is no way to be. Every moment is sacred if you treat it like it is. The end isn't scary if you live like it isn't.
Without this hysteria the 99.95% of us who did not die would have continued to live well and improve things. As it sits, a year of my life has been squandered by people who are not me.

My political/religious/philosophical beliefs pretty much always end at "live your life, I'll live mine."
I can't believe what awful things happen when I pretend that the people around me are mature enough to make their own decisions. I can't believe that their gut reaction is to demand that I can't be trusted to make my own.
I seem to succeed at everything that I try to do, maybe for lack of quitting. It's hard to remember that others are not so competent or so sure that everything will work out in the end. It's hard to remember that other people are steered by fear.
This place is too social media for me. I think the juice is probably not worth the squeeze any longer. I need a break from this screen.

rico

You do understand that the number 133,000 is nothing more than the current death toll. It will continue to rise if we as a nation do not get our shit together.. This virus ain't done with America by a long stretch...Being cautious and responsible during this pandemic isn't about being scared. Its about having the decency to not spread it to others, and specifically to those who might get very sick or die if they contract the virus. I hate to be a dick, but your stance here seems a tad bit selfish Mr. Witty.

There is a fella in my community who feels the way you do, and he has refuses to practice social distancing or wear a mask while he is socializing with others around here... Instead he goes on rants about how his freedoms are being taken away, Bill Gates, the W.H.O. and how its all a fucking hoax. Guess who's mother just died from Covid? I wonder if this ignorant asshole infected and killed his own mother?

That all being said, I hope you stick around because we need your knowledge and voice around here.

Last edited:

southsoundtree

It will continue to rise a lot, no matter what we do.

How much it goes up depends on how ignorant and selfish people are.

Lots of Americans are dum. Not limited to Americans, though.

Birdyman88

If I were to walk outside in a my metro area and start shooting skyward, the chances that any bullet would cause a death would be many times less than what the Covid risk is. But I'm quite certain that everyone would call me a maniac and the police would likely arrest me. Hey, I'm just living my life. It amazes me that so many cannot see the correlation.

Bob Bob

If wearing a mask saves one life, one, it is well worth it in my estimation.
During April and May most shoppers in the local grocery store were wearing masks. Now only one or 2 do.

I recently went to Lowes and not a single customer had a mask on except me.

The American public does not have a long enough attention span to win a long term battle against a pandemic. I also doubt that the majority of Americans will be willing to make long term sacrifices for the health of an unknown neighbor.

Bart_

When I posted there were only 130,000 dead and I just saw 140,000 dead on the news yesterday. Then someone projected 155,000 dead. Holy cow. 10,000 more dead in 16 days.

Stay alive and your people near you alive. Funerals really suck for those left behind.

Lumberjack

When I posted there were only 130,000 dead and I just saw 140,000 dead on the news yesterday. Then someone projected 155,000 dead. Holy cow. 10,000 more dead in 16 days.

Stay alive and your people near you alive. Funerals really suck for those left behind.
The average deaths in the US over 16 days is ~120k... or 2.4m globally in the same time.

evo

So far I know at least 8 folks who think they have had it or actively have it. About half these folks it’s unconfirmed by positive tests from lack of testing at the time of their symptoms, two of these folks mother and daughter are medical professionals so it’s not likely they are over stating, they both have long lasting issues

TCtreeswinger

70ish uncle has been in hospital about a week. Girlfriends grandmother is 94 and was positive for 7 weeks! With a sniffle... Half her unit died (about 6 senior citizens). Coworker called in sick today saying his wife wants him to get tested..great

evo

It’s a strange time, a few weeks ago I had to get tested after a client exposed me to it (they tested the next day and never informed me). That cost me my weekend and a few days. My main employee had a wedding. I decided to give him a few extra paid days off as he had family fly in from the upper Midwest.
Now he needs to go see his new 90 year old grandfather in-law next month in LA. He just wanted a day or two off, but I had to tell him he’d have to sit on the bench for at least a week after he returned.

oldoakman

I had most of the symptoms in March but never tested. Gave a blood donation this week and they are testing for antibodies. Maybe that will confirm.

Lumberjack

So your point is currently our overall national death rate has doubled due to COVID?

How does that math play out?

Last I checked (Last week I think it was) and excluding the most recent 2 weeks (incomplete data), we were running around +70k excess deaths YTD.

New2trees

My next door neighbor Pedro had it.

He is 62 and runs a car repair shop and is a non smoker/drinker/drugger in good shape.

He started at Suburban Hospital then after 3 days was transferred to Hopkins then a couple of week later UMD medical center. He spent 24 days total intubated on a ventilator and his wife was told he was going to die after 12 days at Hopkins Baltimore before she had him transferred from Johns Hopkins to UMD medical center (lucky for him she would not take no for an answer and knew a few who worked in the medical field) where they were just starting convalescent plasma therapy which seems to have saved him.
The big thing I did not know is that many times you are not unaware of your surroundings like when undergoing an operation under full anesthesia.
My neighbor was one of the ones who was fully aware of his surroundings just completely paralyzed and unable to communicate.....while doctors and nurses walked around talking about whether he was going to live or die like he was not there.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26178073/

In his case they had him on 100% oxygen and he said his breathing rate felt like he had just run a mile.........Meantime for days he was unaware of why his wife or family was not by his bed, wondering if they had died from the disease till one of the nurses said I am not sure if you can hear me but this is whats going on.

Imagine three weeks of this kind of torture!

By the grace of God and some fantastic work by the staff at UMD he has been home over a week now and luckily his organs and mind seem to have done well.....he even made it all the way around the block with his wife and me yesterday.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom