Chainsaws

Tony

Hey Guys

What would you recommend for a chainsaw for a tree climber focusing mostly on pruning and less on felling.

Thanks
Didn’t you just get into climbing?

No offense, but I recommend this.

Then this:

When you got that down go for this:

Walk then run.

Tony

Njdelaney

If I remember right, he has been a certified arborist for 6 years or so and is only new to the climbing part of the job, not the pruning.

Tony

If I remember right, he has been a certified arborist for 6 years or so and is only new to the climbing part of the job, not the pruning.
Fair enough, if I made a false assumption. I’d still recommend the silky and stay well away from a pole saw until it is used not as a crutch, but as the right tool for the job. Even if as a new climber efficiency is being lost.

Tony

BradBatemanND

Thanks guys, I have been pruning trees for almost 10 years now, 6 of them as a Certified Arborist. I have lots of experience with the Silky hand saw and pole saws. I'm just looking at furthering my reach and abilities. I appreciate all the insight.

climbingmonkey24

I’m running an Echo CS 271-t. Great little saw, lightweight, and I have cut through bigger wood at times. No issues with it but there have been times I will say where I could’ve used more power.

danetj862

i am actually a huge fan of the 193t. really a great saw for the price.
Did you ge your 193T new? I just purchased a 194T & to be honest it doesn't seem to run as Smooth as other new Stihls I've bought. I am planning to adjust the carb but only after I get a few more tanks of fuel through it to see if it is just a break in thing.

Reach

Did you ge your 193T new? I just purchased a 194T & to be honest it doesn't seem to run as Smooth as other new Stihls I've bought. I am planning to adjust the carb but only after I get a few more tanks of fuel through it to see if it is just a break in thing.
Definitely run a number of tanks through it; check the manual - you may need to run 6-10 tanks before it gets fully broken in. If it still gives you trouble then, take it back to your dealer - new saws have a warranty for a reason.

danetj862

Yeah I'm hoping It works itself out, manual claims 4 tanks or so. Im on tank two or three, once the weather cooperates I'll have to get back out there.

Fivepoints

I have a t536lixp that I really like for pruning. I use it climbing until I have to move up to a larger saw. I usually go straight to a 550xp at that point. I also use it quite a lot in our bucket truck. I would buy it again for pruning work. I really like not having to pull start it in those awkward positions I always seem to have to get in while spineless climbing.

I have not had good experiences at all with echo. I bought a cs-8000. It wouldn't stay together. The third time in less than 6 months, I just got rid of it.

Reach

Is the either 193/194T at a price point of $400 or so? Is that the saw made by some other company for Stihl?
Yes, that saw is around or slightly below $400. It is made by Stihl, but it is built as a mid-range saw, not a true professional user saw - the middle digit tells that, if the middle digit of the model number is even, it’s a pro saw. If the middle digit is odd, it’s not.
Both are good saws, but the pro saws have better anti-vibe, and the engines are built to last longer, thus the higher cost.

Serf Life

355t has had zero issues for years now. Can’t say the same with 201 or 193. Original everything except bar, just bought replacement filters, spark plug etc. last month. About 3 yrs with cs590 which I bought as a beater saw and actually pretty happy with it for the $. Pulls a 24” through hardwood just fine.

colb

I've been using echo tophandles for about 4 years now, with about two years on the echo 2511t. I started out with an ms192t with pico bar/chain. The 2511t with pico bar/chain is much lighter than the 192t and about as powerful. I do not make critical cuts with a tophandle - I go straight to an ms661. My 2511t is outfitted with the 8" panther bar and sprocket sold by chainsawbarsuk.com. I am very pleased with it. The only saw that could get me away from it would be a lithium saw of equal power and weight, which is still pie in the sky. At day's end, the 2511t is lighter, way cheaper, and more powerful than the comparable Stihl 150t. It is way lighter than the 193t, about the same price, and almost as powerful. I've had no issues with either of my echo tophandles except one of my own making where I smashed it between two pieces of trunk and broke the brake. They are all cheap saws (especially on echo dealer days), and the 2511t is also a clear best-in-class for pure performance. With the 8 inch bar, I still use it on removals until I'm in 10-inch wood. It is an amazing pruning saw with the quarter sprocket tip bar. I do all my reduction pruning with it, and my ornamental pruning. It's so good. Just make sure to switch it to pico. The stock bar and chain is a big joke - why make a saw like that to just go stick that crappy chain/bar combo on it?!

climbstihl

Yes, that saw is around or slightly below $400. It is made by Stihl, but it is built as a mid-range saw, not a true professional user saw - the middle digit tells that, if the middle digit of the model number is even, it’s a pro saw. If the middle digit is odd, it’s not.
Both are good saws, but the pro saws have better anti-vibe, and the engines are built to last longer, thus the higher cost.
Not quite true as far as I'm aware, just need to take a look at the MS180, which is not a pro saw.

Reach

Not quite true as far as I'm aware, just need to take a look at the MS180, which is not a pro saw.
Good point. I should have said that it is a general rule, and it does hold true among the bigger saws, but not the small rear handles. My apologies for the confusion.

SomethingWitty

Arkansawyer
I picked mine up for $320 w/ a 14" bar, plus tax
That's what I was thinking. My 192 was around $275 almost 10 years ago, and the 193 was barely over $300.
Which dealer you go to matters a lot. I don't know how their prices are determined, but prices vary by about 10% in our metro area.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom