Any recovering addicts here?

Boomslang

I just had a long conversation with someone yesterday about social media / the digital age and the effects it has on youth. And she said the exact same thing, “why do you need to watch videos of other people opening presents” instead why not try to be present in the moment.
There are a ton of studies out there that show a correlation between increased social media use and the rise of depression and anxiety in society. Everyone getting FOMO and feelings of inadequacy forget that you're only seeing what other people want you to see. It happens in our industry too. For every YouTube star doing massive takedowns or climbing around a beautiful 80ft canopy spread there are thousands of hours spent grinding stumps and trimming hedges. It ain't all glorious.

Jonny

Way too many relatives wanting to argue about political shit. No urges to actually try to change or improve anything, they just want to argue.
Also waay too many ex girlfriends wanting to be friends or reconnect. Such has been my experience with Facebook.
It was nice seeing daily updates and pics of my niece in California and my nephew in Florida, but I can always get pics and chat through the phone.

Boomslang

Social media has many benefits for business / branding though. Depends what you're on social media for. Just for fun / personal or business.

You could spend time scrolling through feeds because you're bored, and you can also spend the same time using it to expand your business, reach potential new clients and grow your brand.
Very true. It's good to have business accounts on social media, but I'm a firm believer in keeping personal and business seperate. That means no posting business related stuff on your personal page and vice versa. And keep an eye on the comments and reviews on your business page. We recently had a fellow company (and I use that term loosely) make some offensive comments on our business page. Nothing directed at us specifically, just general derogatory comments, but stuff we definitely don't want associated with our business that the public can see.

Daniel

I've been clean since 85 and sober since 91.
I don't use caffeine tobacco, pain killers or prescription or over-the-counter drugs.
I have done bufo, ayahuasca, ecstasy and mushrooms in ceremonies on rare occasions since.

If your life is not working just give it over to God. Make the prayer... not my will, but Yours. Ask for healing, wisdom, and guidance. And keep asking till you get some!

12 steps is a good structure for many on that Path.

Wishing you all well.

Jonny

That’s awesome Sven, I’m really happy for ya! Sugar can bring some surprisingly powerful cravings for sure. I went nuts during the holidays but back to almost zero sugar for a couple weeks now.

I’m carrying on like usual, occasional drinks on date night and a little kratom a few times a day.
Been getting a bit out of hand with the energy drinks, time to cut back on those and supplement with coffee to ward off withdrawal symptoms. I tallied up the money I spend on those stupid things and it’s quite ridiculous.
At least it’s not dope :)

SeanRuel

For some of us, life presents endless addictions. I'm working towards healthier ones.

During a recent sober month, I was looking to change my headspace. Tried modified/ shortened (1hr) holotropic breathing, which is worth looking into IMO. Quite bizarre how different you can feel from just breathing differently. It brought up many emotions/ thought loops that were challenging, but I felt really good afterwards. Reset a slate or something.

Im reading BREATH by James Nestor right now. Cool book so far. Breathing is weird and you can do all sorts of strange stuff through deliberate breath manipulation.

arborandearth

Clean for 8 years and sober for 5. I too traded opiates for alcohol, and let me tell you, the alcohol was the worst of the two demons - the physical, mental, and spiritual pain was unbearable. It has been tough, mostly lonely, with COVID-19 lockdowns and having a lot less meeting opportunities. Zoom isn't the same. I do have two employees that I got sober with, so we get talk sobriety daily.

What keeps me sober - gratitude for small things, like sawdust, and big things, like the roof over my head and a 3 year old son who has never experience me at my worst.

Last edited:

arborandearth

Kid went to the ex's. Now I can stretch out on the couch and watch whatever I want, instead of YouTube videos of teenagers playing Minecraft. Later I'll get takeout from the local Italian joint and eat in my hot tent in the backyard while watching something on my laptop.
My son is 3 and all he wants to watch when I let him is adult men unboxing and playing with superhero toys. My first thought - what a weird grown ass man. Then I look at how many views and followers they have and think - "why didn't I think of that".

Clean for 8 years and sober for 5. I too traded opiates for alcohol, and let me tell you, the alcohol was the worst of the two demons - the physical, mental, and spiritual pain was unbearable. It has been tough, mostly lonely, with COVID-19 lockdowns and having a lot less meeting opportunities. Zoom isn't the same. I do have two employees that I got sober with, so we get talk sobriety daily.

What keeps me sober - gratitude for small things, like sawdust, and big things, like the roof over my head and a 3 year old son who has never experience me at my worst.
Loathe to admit, accept or even talk about it for a long time, addiction did what it does! Thanks for asking the question. Talking about it still aint one of my favorite things to do, but it does ALWAYS lead to gratitude. Slowing down, growing up and putting my foot down insisting on doing "the next right thing" turned the tide for me. The "thrill" of low living stopped having any value a few years back. The thrill of freedom, cash in the bank and ride'n a nice heavy butt-hang, not to mention the saw dust, home and family beats the drugs hands down. Glad you asked.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom