Am I ropewalking wrong...?

*useless info*

Continuing on low center of gravity (COG), have any of you noticed that after a long day in trees, when you're back on the ground, your legs feel deeply rooted, as if the soles of your feet are glued to the ground? No one could push you over. That stability extends up into your hips and abdomen, the upper body is free to move with strength for whatever task is at hand. It may be that you feel that way all the time and don't notice as much ;-) There are facts and there is mystery in this tree climbing activity. -AJ
YES>>ok, here goes..
Partially defining yoga exercises as tracing the animate stages of existence
(asanas named for animals except few cultural particular inanimates Tree, Lotus, Mountain etc.)
>>to distill extreme element expressed in that stage of development/animal >>needing refreshed in man.
Extend to, tree climbing in particular, is exercise of closest relative animate form.
Also, see that ONLY peoples walk upright as major transportation. Exercising only legs, and then overly so to compress not stretch spine occasionally as in climbing arm pulls.
Every other animal form compresses and massages internals specifically via mode of movement.
>>fly,swim, slither,quadro-ped walks etc. all massively compress/expand gut in movement. Total body exercised in movement but concentrated on gut area. Also, constant risks, elevating adrenlin, looking around etc. becomes full body exercise in muscle and awareness.
Only other bipeds do this same gut exercise and massage, full body, adrenalized exercise via tree climbing compression/expansion of large body gut cavity in stair stepping random motions, angles and extremes. And then relieves legs with arm loading randomly exercsing chest, arms as locomotion also. Common Earthwalkers of our kind don't do that. This thing we do is most perfect exercise to our form etc. by that examination.
>>tons of Eastern thoughts on balanced body/mind, body can't cleanse got therefore not mind, then not spirit etc. from there.
Even standing on limb off of ground, body constantly adjusting subliminally to micro imbalances etc. Constant risks, adrenaline pushing exercise more , awareness keyed up..
Plus, kinda see CoG as magnetic/+ electrical force called by Earth as - ground connection, tree time as some kinda tuning to most keyed in parallel form, by again mimicking movements of closest relevant form.
As anything, man's mind is double edge sword(yin/yang), Mind drives us far but then noise in head drowns out what rest of animals etc. are tuned into that we've lost; from the more Eastern view and how they try to recoup in undoing, to regain.
i kinda think just as every generation; finds advancements that makes life easier
>>as elders show fear of too much padding away from raw understandings they had; and knowing valuable more pivotal lessons, contacts AND exercise thus lost in trade.
Only on a much larger scale.
Yoga breath cleansing exercises and watching breath inside to channel helped control flow in gymnastics etc. Breathe exercise very important to Occidental thought, force channeling theory.
Also, Dr.Dyer(of "Your Erogenous Zones " fame) says wrote and spoke about power of intention for quarter of a century; before reading "The Active Side of Infinity " before surgery, only then writing the book "The Power of Intention"! As the fictionalized Carols Castenada prose was that different and illuminating to his target..
All Clear,
Rant Over!(been saving it awhile inside)

Last edited:

southsoundtree

What do you need to do to not grip the rope?

You appear to be trying to rope walk AND Pull your way up the rope, rather than pull your body In toward the rope.

Once, when rock-gym climbing, pulling my up a route, my partner advised me that I could use my feet.

TallTreeClimber

What do you need to do to not grip the rope?

You appear to be trying to rope walk AND Pull your way up the rope, rather than pull your body In toward the rope.

Once, when rock-gym climbing, pulling my up a route, my partner advised me that I could use my feet.
A chest rig would keep you upright without having to use your arms. Really the arms are only to keep you pulled upright to the rope, unless you are actively trying to workout your biceps, which I have done several times before, but would advise against it. It's a good way to injure your biceps, by pulling up with them. They should only keep you upright, not provide ascent force up the rope, imo.

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
This is my stylee....
Look how straight I am with very little rocking. Hand over hand but not really grabbing the rope. Nothing exaggerated. Even steps no slipping. As I gain height I really open up. I am 52.

Mowerr

This is my stylee....
Look how straight I am with very little rocking. Hand over hand but not really grabbing the rope. Nothing exaggerated. Even steps no slipping. As I gain height I really open up. I am 52.
Got a typo there bud. Swings really 25.

Mowerr

You appear to be leaning back further than me imo.
It looks like you step much higher with your right leg than your left. I only watched once but I bet you could get more out of you left leg....unless you have prior injuries in that left leg then I understand why it doesn't do what the right leg can but maybe try to take the same stride with both legs, it might feel easier and might even feel slower but could be faster.
I start slow and once I'm up the rope enough that the rope is moving through my ascenders better is when I start to slowly open up my strides kinda like swing was saying.

Mowerr

So I've been rec climbing SRT now for a while using a HH2, SAKA mini, CT mini and chest harness, and it seems to be going well... but I wonder if I'm leaning back too much and making my arms tired. I try to stand as straight as possible, but it seems like I get forced to lean back and use my arms for more than just steadying myself when climbing. I've seen videos of people climbing not even using their hands and I'm wondering what am I doing wrong as it seems I absolutely HAVE to use my arms.

I filmed myself today and am looking for advice. Here's a link:
Please find a tree and climb higher and post that video.
I think you only took like 12-13 steps...we need to see more. No offense bro but I can't say much about that short of a climb except what someone else said about you over working your arms.
Maybe you need a different chest connection or to shorten you rope bridge too.
Your strides look long but slow so I'd really need to see a higher climb because sometimes you pace yourself much different on a short ascent as opposed to a longer.
I don't know I could be wrong. Rope walking seem to come naturally to me I feel. But for me when I started doing it, for months I only did pretty short steps, slow paced ascents before I really started to open up my strides and push for speed.
That's kinda always been my method with a lot of things. Like Sports and training for them back in highschool... When I would learn a new excersize or wrestling move or technique for whatever I was so obsessed with getting my form perfect before I increased the weight or speed / intensity in the movements being performed.
Something's I learned faster than other things but I feel that clip you posted isn't enough for me to make any good suggestions
Film at least a 40-50 footer

*useless info*

Proper form rules in many things, then load more force etc. Perhaps that need easier to see in grace of gymnastics were even point toes or get points off, here see notes same about wrestling; AND i've been around some power lifters and at some point of equal development they ALL say; IT IS ALL FORM, as do likewise say in martial arts etc! Simply inescapable math; that all things are subject to. PURELY GEOMETRY, until run into ergonomics and nerve wiring considerations etc.
Arm effort notes are apt. Arm pull does feel some better cuz would be a tension pull and sideforce pulling you more efficiently inline. Whereby the leg lift is compression and it's side force pushes bod/or tries to push more out of line. Bod or chest roller (you get to choose)must fight this out of line side force or get less efficient lift the more CoG is out of line with lift effort. Bod just a stressed container with the extra side forces and less efficiency, just like any other device would be. Only bod can feel and report as sensing device to you , forces that are 'expressed' on logs etc. in all things as force containers when forcepoints are out of line. Very good lesson if can look at log in similar position and now feel/be empathetic for forces in that container in same positions etc.
In decoding-what-you-feel-runaway-side-forces-rope-walk.png i try to show that if CoG is out of line 30 degrees to input of ANYTHING, it is 14% less efficient to raise effort input (cos drop to .86)for same work but more so, while doing that , are also fighting 58% (tangent of 30)of load/bodyweight sideways for a much bigger fight than the loss of efficiency 14%(cos.84). Chest roller keeps CoG inline to rope/effort input by legs, and only have nominal/in-escapapable bodyweight fight with effort at ~100% w/o sideforce, as chest roller autonomously fights that for you instead and thereby inline for full efficiency.
That is a fair run up 45' ft tho i think, just between loss of efficiency and sideforce, almost 2x the work @30degree example (calc CoG at solar plexus or bit higher in mens). Even if not going out of line too much, are fighting this tendency of compression to push out of line w/every degree, and that push, especially fast/hard/impact, that would deliver same amplified values to the side fight. Might feel or say that are strong enough to get away with this/so deep in own powerband, adrenaline excited over doing well; but in end is just more work to same task; as opening move to tough job...
Steadfastly, purposefully intentful to max math is best!
If want to work biceps, there is some yoga thumb curl move of least load, directed at right angle to stress biceps most until hurts like a boil and goes into overload and must stop or drop!

Last edited:

colb

This is my stylee....
No flip? No Jimmy Buffet shirt?!

TallTreeClimber

Watching again, I think you're just really chest heavy and you aren't supported at chest level with a chest rig so you're weight pulls you back too far. You might wanna experiment with a new gear set up, a chest ascender or chest rig or something, because rope walking is easier when you stay upright.

TallTreeClimber

It looks like you step much higher with your right leg than your left. I only watched once but I bet you could get more out of you left leg....unless you have prior injuries in that left leg then I understand why it doesn't do what the right leg can but maybe try to take the same stride with both legs, it might feel easier and might even feel slower but could be faster.
I start slow and once I'm up the rope enough that the rope is moving through my ascenders better is when I start to slowly open up my strides kinda like swing was saying.
Thanks for the analysis, but it's really just a function of my home made knee ascender and how close it is to my harness bridge and where it feels comfortable in relation to my knee. I haven't spent time really refining my set up since in my mind I'd achieved near perfect locomotion. I was intending to go to a competition and watch and analyze other climbers a few weeks ago but my plans were rudely and abruptly ended when I RUPTURED my left bicep incorrectly handling an 80lb bag of concrete.

I'm recovering from surgery 3 weeks ago, and I've found climbing to be too difficult without the use of my left arm.:cry:

*useless info*

Wow, sorry to'ear that, sounds painful!

Male CoG about solar plexus/chest/nipple level region
>>leg input is other forcePoint in minimal/most efficient model.
Rest is geometry thru bod as a device, as any other device container of forcePoint flows.
>>only can feel the forces expressed in everything else, when bod is connecting link betwixt forcePoints

SWRLS

Hello climbers, I just recently switched to srt and am having the same issue, I used the same rope walker system on my ddrt setup just minus the wrench I have now. The ddrt setup was such that hitchclimber and hitch were high enough I would grab the top carabiner (termination end) and walk, now however grabbing the rope my arms get very tired, I read a reply about a chest roller wich I think is a great idea, are there any other techniques one could employ besides that?

SWRLS

I suppose I should give the variables too, I'm about 5'8" 150 lbs I use a rope wrench with hitchclimber pulley, tended by a quick releases swivel shackle attached to a striped down tactical vest, a homemade knee ascender and foot ascender.

oldoakman

The roller will be below your hitch system. That way it automatically tends your system. You may need to rig a short link between your saddle bridge to get the hitch system high enough to work properly and keep you vertical. I have an adjustable bridge rigged up that I can extend for ascent and then shorten up to work. Btw, I am 2x your weight.

SWRLS

The roller will be below your hitch system. That way it automatically tends your system. You may need to rig a short link between your saddle bridge to get the hitch system high enough to work properly and keep you vertical. I have an adjustable bridge rigged up that I can extend for ascent and then shorten up to work. Btw, I am 2x your weight.
Thanks I was thinking of a more adjustable set up I think I'll try that avanue thanks for the tips.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom