Search results

  1. moss

    Temporary rope cable to climb above a bad codom in a catalpa

    Great description of catalpa wood's characteristics. I've worked on a enough of them that I think I've internalized that and don't think about it. What I am thinking is "What a weird and cool species, you make me slightly uncomfortable" ;-) I think you're right that it probably would've held...
  2. moss

    RIP Jamie Goddard

    Like butter. Beeline 8mm was my go-to for many years. I remember a climber telling me, "That's a terrible hitch cord". My mind was "Huh? No". Thx JG.
  3. moss

    RIP Jamie Goddard

    My first climbing line was Yale Ropes Poison Ivy, thx Nick Araya for suggesting it at the time, 2005. Ha, it milked more than 2.5' of cover, that's how a great line can start its career. Thank you Jamie Goddard, that game changing contribution to tree climbing would be enough. Clearly there's...
  4. moss

    Poetry thread

    Epic, thx
  5. moss

    Poetry thread

    That’s a wild one! When I read the first couple of stanzas I was thinking I really like when Frost writes about his yard. There are a few. People write the best on their home ground. Not an actual sentimental bone in Frost’s body despite him being the icon of New England days and ways gone by...
  6. moss

    Poetry thread

    For the upcoming cold season: Winter is for waiting. As sure as the owl perches or the coyote walks, winter is waiting for answers to come. As sure as the snow sparkles or your fingertips sting, winter knows answers are near.
  7. moss

    Poetry thread

    I don't write much but here's one: I drank the forest from my hands Rotted pine, crushed ferns I knew then I was alive
  8. moss

    Temporary rope cable to climb above a bad codom in a catalpa

    Yes indeed, sounds like you had an awesome yard climbing tree. Catalpa not being native to eastern Mass./southern New Hampshire I suspect it started growing on farmland with second/third growth forest coming in as farming declined. Then housing development spread into the overgrown farmland and...
  9. moss

    Temporary rope cable to climb above a bad codom in a catalpa

    Well described. Coastal/wet snow or hard rain straight line storms might be part of the reason but not enough of a reason ;-) Poor structural form and relatively weak wood would be enough. It's interesting with catalpa, there are some areas, southern more rural side of Nashua, NH for example...
  10. moss

    Temporary rope cable to climb above a bad codom in a catalpa

    I can imagine on takedowns especially this technique is key. On this catalpa I could not see the bad news codom from the ground, leaf cover was too thick. I would've brought a short rope if I knew what was going to happen next. Had enough spare hook line to do it. Thx Roger. -AJ
  11. moss

    Temporary rope cable to climb above a bad codom in a catalpa

    Thx Eric. Being a human I am seriously flawed ;-) Hope all's well. -AJ
  12. moss

    Temporary rope cable to climb above a bad codom in a catalpa

    That's why if I can do it I want to be at chest height or slightly higher than the cat so I can lift it up and out by the scruff. Pulling down on on them by the scruff is a losing game, I've been bitten pretty badly doing overhead grabs. I'm much better at not being scratched or bitten these...
  13. moss

    Temporary rope cable to climb above a bad codom in a catalpa

    Situation where I'm batting clean-up after a town DPW bucket crew and an arborist climber can't reach the cat. Climber before me had a good reason to not go further. Climbing with @oceans many moons ago I saw him "cable" a small double top on a 125' white pine with his secondary lanyard. I'd...
  14. moss

    Building cat bridges

    It’s great when these “unknown owner” cats are microchipped. She was back home within an hour and a half of reaching the ground. She escaped from the owner when they were out away from the home. Cat had no idea where it was when it was tree’d. -AJ
  15. moss

    Building cat bridges

    This one is actually interesting ;-) Dead tree, dynamic log bridge, 19th barge canal etc. -AJ
  16. moss

    SRS rope and hitch

    I can barely lift myself out of bed some mornings! 70 backpack would destroy me ;-) I could hang additional weight on my climbing system without carrying it on my back. On the other hand it would be easier for one my friends up in the 200 lb. Range to test my Rope Wrench setup. -AJ
  17. moss

    SRS rope and hitch

    Are we confused yet? Another way of saying it is: I believe a hitch/length/climbing line combo that works for a light climber like myself will work very well for a heavy climber. I think focusing on hitch cordage and configuration is mostly barking up the wrong tree for heavy climbers. Assuming...
  18. moss

    SRS rope and hitch

    As mentioned I’m coming from at it from the other end, if you put a typical well dressed arborist hitch on a line and weight it, doesn’t matter how much a person weighs, It may slide at first but with 2 or 3 sequential loadings it will bind up tight. Introduce a bend above the hitch (rope...
  19. moss

    SRS rope and hitch

    Interesting. Ha. I suspect there might not be enough load on the Hitchhiker friction surface below its hitch for it to engage in a useful way. Slack tending may be difficult. Worth trying though only one way to find out. -AJ
  20. moss

    SRS rope and hitch

    I think the construction of the static’s core matters for rope wrench/hitch functionality. 10mm Sterling HTP is wild stuff with a wrench. An 8mm hitch cord works but things get weird, the parallel(?) core seems to get twisted and “bunchy”. Even if it didn’t the core fibers become so rigid during...

New threads New posts

Back
Top Bottom