Search results

  1. moss

    Squirrel Damage

    You need the #1 squirrel predator, the fisher. A bit of an undertaking to introduce a fisher population ;-) There is now birth control laced bait food available to control mice and rats. There is an effort in the UK to develop a squirrel contraceptive agent, info here...
  2. moss

    New device from ISC

    Massive oversight, @surveyor basically started all this with his link friction devices culminating in the BDB! -AJ
  3. moss

    New device from ISC

    Practicalities. On the other hand Petzl likely has an in-house IP legal team. Sometimes the "big boys and girls" like to discipline the competition because they can. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. AJ
  4. moss

    New device from ISC

    I may be more excited about the ISC "UltraLink Small" as recommended by ISC for the Apex tether attachment. I'll no longer have to build my own stainless Slic Pin bow shackles as fun as it is ;-) The Reflex appears to be an awesome device...
  5. moss

    New device from ISC

    Great news that it "self adjusts" and functions well on 9mm! -AJ
  6. moss

    New device from ISC

    Takes a long time for a full patent to go through, doesn't fit real-world development and marketing return on investment necessities. A lot of products carry "patent pending" marks, it is like "provisional" patent protection. It's no indication that ISC is having problems with the Zig-Zag...
  7. moss

    Working on putting great horned owl young back up in trees April, 2025

    Thx again Cory. The climbing rope, Yale Pink Moon 11.7mm, was clear of the nest pulled out in either direction, I think I pulled it out from the backside of the tree to guarantee no contact with the nest. I've got a chunk of stainless bow shackle near the end of my lanyard so needed to be extra...
  8. moss

    Tom Wessels on coevolution, efficiency, and mutualism in stable forest ecosystems

    He is my hero, such a good teacher. I snuck him into an illustration for a book on old-growth forests, I need to let him know, book's been out a few years anyway ;-) I should've put his right arm/hand on the tree. Oh well, deadlines are not fun ;-)
  9. moss

    Tom Wessels on coevolution, efficiency, and mutualism in stable forest ecosystems

    This is a great and informative intro to Tom Wessel's work on forested ecosystems... -AJ
  10. moss

    carpenter ants and scammers

    Some interesting work by Tom Wessels (Reading the Forested Landscape), the well known "forensic ecologist". He has described how after an initial injury (wind damage or hit by falling limbs or other trees) forest eastern hemlock he's studied suffer progressive fungal invasion into damaged areas...
  11. moss

    Treemo 2017/2018. Petzl zig zag/ grillon with lanyard. Courant suspenders.

    How much for the high-hat? Kidding! tempted by the TreeMo, love that OG harness. Looks to be in excellent condition. -AJ
  12. moss

    Cute vid

    Sorry for your friend’s dad’s situation. I was on the flip side. 1962, I was 6.5 years-old suffering a severe immune response to the measles one year before the measles vaccine was widely available to the U.S.public. As a result of my body’s response to the infection I suffered lifelong...
  13. moss

    another ugly stump

    Smart reply in this “tree dropping/anti-vaxx propaganda” thread ;-) Tree work and vaccines are all more complicated than that. Trying to boil everything down to simple statements and positions is bound to fail capturing the nuance in everything. -AJ
  14. moss

    Working on putting great horned owl young back up in trees April, 2025

    It's pretty well known among raptor experts that great horned owl young can do quite well being fed on the ground after falling out of a nest. They typically fall in the northeast U.S. during early spring storm events. If they don't suffer fractures on ground impact (many do) they can be fed by...
  15. moss

    Cute vid

    The first few generations of European colonists were super aggressive exploiting whatever resources they could turn up. It was a self-selected group, the couch potatoes stayed home in England and France. No clean slate for Washington or any of the "successful" ones. It's ironic, the Mohawks did...
  16. moss

    How brainwashed are you?

    You assume a lot. My siblings and I weren't allowed to have a television in the house until we could buy or obtain one ourselves. That was a dump rescue old B&W TV with a small screen and a large cabinet. No knobs so we changed the channels with pliers and got zapped from time-to-time. I think I...
  17. moss

    How brainwashed are you?

    Aha, yep same here. I have enough sour taste in my mouth from growing up in suburbs outside of Boston, I’ve declined high school reunion invites fah eva. Small minded maybe on my part but no interest in revisiting anything from growing up in a white picket fence entitled New England town loaded...

New threads New posts

Back
Top Bottom