Search results

  1. moss

    Favourite SRS rope?

    Multicenders and hitches don't play well with Sterling HTP 10mm, probably not with 11mm either since the core material/construction is the same. There's been a lot of discussion on this going back years. Great access line but weird core bunching/twisting has happened for the typical up and down...
  2. moss

    Favourite SRS rope?

    I've tried a lot of different lines, super static kernmantles, double-braids and the in-between variants. I always land back on the Yale 11.7mm 24-strand double braids. Static enough and yet soft enough for great knot functionality. So many variables in what a climber needs for the range of tree...
  3. moss

    New device from ISC

    Yeah these are subtle details, I can smear/sideload a rope wrench and hitch without messing up my hands. This is such a niche functionality it's mostly irrelevant but good to know you see the Reflex as robust in construction and materials. -AJ
  4. moss

    New device from ISC

    Also... love the entire 9mm-10.5mm rope diameter discussion. I'm regularly using a 9mm static line for super flexible positioning options. It greatly improves safety and reduces fatigue for a climber in more "extreme" work positions. Efficient stability is everything for physically sustainable...
  5. moss

    New device from ISC

    Great analysis and detail, thank you! One challenge for mechanicals is the "smear", descending over limbs or trunk bends where the rope angle and climber route causes the device to be loaded hard against a tree surface. The rope wrench aces this, a slightly flexible wrench tether and hitch have...
  6. moss

    Life in cold slow lane, cat rescue, new climber on rope

    Yes. Besides the interesting challenges and opportunities to go places and climb where I wouldn't ordinarily be... being around grateful people may be the best part of it. In regular work and life it's not always easy to find gratitude out there! -AJ
  7. moss

    Cuising a beautiful line in a massive London plane

    London plane being the most likely sycamore in Belgium makes sense. And correct on the hybrid, the Wiki entry describes two theories of 17th century hybridization: "The species was formed by hybridization in the 17th century after P. orientalis and P. occidentalis had been planted in proximity...
  8. moss

    Cuising a beautiful line in a massive London plane

    I’ll never tire of the amazing limb structures of planes/sycamores. We have both, the planes are usually in yards, parks, and along streets. I developed a nemonic to differentiate American Sycamore and London Plane leaf form, “Planes have flames, Americans are plain”. The easiest way for me...
  9. moss

    Life in cold slow lane, cat rescue, new climber on rope

    Got a text 4 AM last Sunday, “Can you get my cat down?”. Turns out it was 2 brothers, young men early twenties who shared the cat responsibilities. One of them had been researching climbing technique all night, wanted to do it himself. After the cat was down he started talking about Blake’s...
  10. moss

    Cottonwood climbing

    I think that was Joe Maher out of Dawsonville, GA, he was a well known rec/research climber/teacher. One of his students William Cottrell posted a couple pages from Joe's climbing journal on FB, maybe you saw that. I'm lazy, I document with photos or vid, writing it down is a much more durable...
  11. moss

    Cottonwood climbing

    Eastern cottonwoods are pretty interesting to climb to say the least! My favorite was 110', a beastly tree surrounded by poison ivy until a straight line storm took it down. Damn, was checking my photos, was last in it 2009! Went down about 5 years ago. There's a nice northern water snake and...
  12. moss

    Hung white pine dropped and trailer build

    Thanks! I built a foot bridge and a boardwalk for a customer. They wanted it decked with ipe. I have some short lengths left over to work with. Crazy hard/dense wood for sure! Anyone who's worked with ipe knows you have to pre-drill and counter sink for the deck screws, especially stainless...
  13. moss

    Hung white pine dropped and trailer build

    A white pine failed and was hung suspended over my outdoor wood work/milling area for too long. Every time I put my small trailer under it I looked up and was unhappy. Took it out in two short sessions after work. In both cases I was up against sunset. First session I got up into a tangled mess...
  14. moss

    How brainwashed are you?

    Yep. Oops, facts are so inconvenient. No Fentanyl coming from Venezuela. To be consistent, why isn’t the U.S. taking out narco terrorists off the Florida coast? Rhetorical question, too many wealthy friends of Mar-a-Lago in the mix. -AJ
  15. moss

    How brainwashed are you?

    “Conspiracy” is everywhere, choose your battles wisely. After his father was killed by Sirhan Sirhan RFK Jr. stated that there was a second shooter firing from the hotel kitchen. A bullet to the skull is deadly the majority the time. Whether there was a second shooter or not there or in Dallas...
  16. moss

    How brainwashed are you?

    I haven't read it, have you? -AJ
  17. moss

    How brainwashed are you?

    I'm not saying anything, read the report. -AJ
  18. moss

    How brainwashed are you?

    This is like old guys bickering over a game of checkers. The only thing that will stop it is a pee break. Well cool, I’m heading out to climb, back to it. -AJ
  19. moss

    How brainwashed are you?

    I was wondering when you were going to mention that. The Building 7 question was resolved in November 2008. Tucker is a bit desperate for attention using the Hong Kong high-rise fire as 9/11 conspiracy “evidence”. It must have been a slow day...
  20. moss

    How brainwashed are you?

    Yep, “I buried Paul”. No one gets it. The dude calling himself Paul is not Paul, it’s obvious Paul is dead.

New threads New posts

Back
Top Bottom