WTH? SHERRILLtree Poison Ivy made by Samson now?

misfit

Well I tried it brand new with rrp yesterday. I should have washed it first. It wasn’t very responsive with the rrp. Not the device. I put it on some xstatic and ran beautifully. Washed it last night and hopefully will perform better.
I am glad to hear about your experience. I had just the opposite. I have some lightly used Samson Silver Ivy that worked very well with the Rope Runner Pro, but I have some never-used Xstatic which I could not get to work at all. Looks like it's time to wash the Xstatic, though it doesn't seem right to have to wash a clean rope.

While the Samson Ivy rope worked well with the RRP, it does flatten quite a bit. It may be my imagination, but it seems to be very slightly softer and squishier than my other Yale Ivy ropes. While the flattened rope annoys me aesthetically, the real problem is that it also makes my homemade knee ascender fail to grab the rope half the time. When the flat rope is turned with the skinny side facing the cam, the cam fails to grab it, and that is very annoying. Consequently, every time I try any mechanical device, I always go back to the Rope Wrench and hitch cord. I love my knee ascender, but apparently I need to re-visit that with an eye for some improvements.

Acerxharlowii

I am glad to hear about your experience. I had just the opposite. I have some lightly used Samson Silver Ivy that worked very well with the Rope Runner Pro, but I have some never-used Xstatic which I could not get to work at all. Looks like it's time to wash the Xstatic, though it doesn't seem right to have to wash a clean rope.

While the Samson Ivy rope worked well with the RRP, it does flatten quite a bit. It may be my imagination, but it seems to be very slightly softer and squishier than my other Yale Ivy ropes. While the flattened rope annoys me aesthetically, the real problem is that it also makes my homemade knee ascender fail to grab the rope half the time. When the flat rope is turned with the skinny side facing the cam, the cam fails to grab it, and that is very annoying. Consequently, every time I try any mechanical device, I always go back to the Rope Wrench and hitch cord. I love my knee ascender, but apparently I need to re-visit that with an eye for some improvements.
It’s not that it’s “clean” brand new. There are residual chemicals and nonsense on the rope from the factories. Yeah, xstatic should respond much better after washed, it worked really well with n the rrp. I hope the tango ivy will work better now that I washed it last night. You are right a rope wrench is bomb proof on ropes new and used, wet, pitchy, the full gambit.
I have a saka mini and works well on all of my ropes flattened or not. Give climbing innovations a look.

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer

Milk the rope. Over and over. It seems you have a loose cover. Should help a lot. By milking you will get a very static feel. Great for a smooth ride.

dsptech

ive never milked a new rope before using it but after the pisspoor performance I had yesterday, I washed it this morning and milked it twice just now. I was so surprised it milked almost 2’ . Wow. I’m hoping it runs better on the rrp now. Thanks
I almost bought a hank this week.
Hope you have better results now.

LordFarkwad

ive never milked a new rope before using it but after the pisspoor performance I had yesterday, I washed it this morning and milked it twice just now. I was so surprised it milked almost 2’ . Wow. I’m hoping it runs better on the rrp now. Thanks
How'd you milk it?

You're talking about performance with the RRP, right? Even with the RR, I found that new 11.7 Yale lines are slick and take some fuzzing up to get to where it would grip with the RR wide open and my 220lbs on it (how I always ran my RR - but definitely not the RRP).

Acerxharlowii

I almost bought a hank this week.
Hope you have better results now.
I’ll let you know. My initial ascent up 20’ felt great. No bounce, nice hand. But it was jerky in the device on decent. I’m thinking it’s going to perform much better now. I’m almost positive that jerkiness was from factory chemicals and lose rope on the core

Acerxharlowii

How'd you milk it?

You're talking about performance with the RRP, right? Even with the RR, I found that new 11.7 Yale lines are slick and take some fuzzing up to get to where it would grip with the RR wide open and my 220lbs on it (how I always ran my RR - but definitely not the RRP).
I tied a bowline to my porch on one end, threw on a 6 wrap French Prussik, put some weight into it and ran it the entire length of the rope, twice. Also it’s Samson rope

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
Every new rope should be milked to align cover and core and stretch the cover perfectly over the core. Correct all manufactures slop.....i got 6 feet out of my vega and boy is that rope sweet..I do 6 to 8 passes with a 4 wrap michoacan. It get the cover so tight with the core. Runs hitches and runners smooth AF.

Phil

Every new rope should be milked to align cover and core and stretch the cover perfectly over the core. Correct all manufactures slop.....i got 6 feet out of my vega and boy is that rope sweet..I do 6 to 8 passes with a 4 wrap michoacan. It get the cover so tight with the core. Runs hitches and runners smooth AF.
I bought 200' of blue moon and haven't been happy with it. I haven't milked it yet though. I'll check for nipples and give it a good milking.

dsptech

Just tossed a rope up in the garage so I could throw some weight on it.
I find that it flattens the heck out of Yale Ivy that I have had in use for a while with the RR also.
I put both devices on the rope and did some comparisons and I think I know what's going on with the RRPro.
The new top bollard is concave and you would intuitively think that would help with keeping the rope round.
It actually increases the effect of flattening the rope.

The old original RR and new RRPro have close to the same diameter top bollard at the center (haven't measured this yet).
On the original straight bollard there is room for the rope to spread out into the space on either side of the pinch point.
With the curved bollard on the RRPro there is almost no space for the rope to spread out as the free space decreases as the gap in the curve area decreases (creates a ton more friction as these is more surface area contacting the rope).
It's like the rope is being extruded through the pinch point under pressure from weight and the increased friction.

So be it Samson or Yale Ivy they may be impacted in the same way.

I adjusted my bollard to the center position and it seemed a little smoother with a slight creap to a stop.
I'll know for sure in the next day or two when I'll be in a tree.
I think as the bollard wears less flattening might occur and the Pro should run smother on decent.

Last edited:

DSMc

... The new top bollard is concave and you would intuitively think that would help with keeping the rope round.
It actually increases the effect of flattening the rope...
The only thing that flattens my ropes is practice climbing. The RW has a curved bollard on one side to, does that flatten your rope also?

dsptech

The only thing that flattens my ropes is practice climbing. The RW has a curved bollard on one side to, does that flatten your rope also?
Don't have one.
Does the RW have a milking effect on the rope?
When you look through the space between the bollard and slick pin on the original RR your see on open rectangle right?
On the RRPro what you have a half moon shaped space.
I was just testing in the garage going over the same section of rope a few times so that's not realy using the thing like in a work environment.
I'm also not saying it's a bad thing but it's different and may have a different effect on the rope then you are used to with the original RR.
What rope are you using with the RRPro?

Last edited:

DSMc

Yale 11.7 but I've put it on all my ropes from 11mm Velocity to 13mm 16 strand and not had any problems. It does get better as the anodizing wears off the lower bollard.

Grafted_In

I milk mine basically the same as Acer. I never really milked my ropes before but since I started splicing, equalizing core and cover have been a constant practice for me. I dont milk before splicing because it makes it makes it more difficult but afterwards for sure. I also wash my rope pretty regularly and I noticed it really helps to work on a clean line (from manufacturer chemicals and dirt). Dirt gets pushed into the fibers and weakens them over time...also more wear on our metal hardware that see running ropes. Just like new clothes...give em a wash. Also, I never agreed with the "my gear has more wear, so it means I climb harder and more frequently than you" mentality. Since I was young working with my pops who does tile and remodeling, we kept his tools CLEAN. I approach life support gear the same way. Ropes dont last forever but they can live a bit longer if we care for em.

Grafted_In

And I know that this is a Samson Ivy thread but I just started running yale phantom on my RR1 wide open and its faken dreamy smooth. 180 lbs no gear with runner just hitting the sweet spot.

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
If I could handle using 11mm rope kern poly/polys would be my runner choice. But after losing part of my right hand pinky to a crushing accident I prefer gripping 11.7s. After a year it has built back a vice like grip and no pain so I will keep with that. Nearly bought the patriot kern. But glad I did not. Samson ivy will be my new choice I am sure.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom